15 In Faith/ One Word 2017

Committing My Way To The Lord // One Word 2017

Since 2011, with the exception of one year, I’ve chosen a One Word focus. In the earlier years, it was a word that I picked and desired to focus on, but in the later years, it was a word that found me, one I believe that was sent directly by the Lord. Some of my words in the past have been Constant, Pursue, Simply, Content and Steadfast.

I pretty much decided that I would not have a One Word focus for 2017. Over the last couple of years I haven’t felt like I was allowing God to teach me all that He desired to through these words. But one evening, while writing this Five Minute Friday post, my word came to me out of no where. It took me by surprise but I knew that it was directly from God. It was in this phrase that the Lord spoke ever so clearly about what my focus would be in 2017:

Now is the time to commit.

This year, the Lord is calling me to commit myself fully to Him. This past year I’ve been a little slothful in my dedication and commitment to reading the Word, to prayer, to family etc. I have had times of self-absorption where I just wanted to crawl under a rock and continue to allow the world to pass me by.

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. (Psalm 37:5 ESV)

Through this word, I believe the Lord is calling me to,

Commit myself fully to Him through dedicated prayer and Bible reading.
Commit myself to my family, putting them first next to God.
Commit myself to health through whole eating and exercise.

I believe there are other areas of my life that God is calling me to commit fully to Him. Although this may not be an easy journey as there are so many things fighting for my attention, I trust that God will be with me every step. I know that I am on my way to living a more abundant life as a result of my renewed commitment to Christ and dedication to all that He is calling me to do.

An Invitation for You!

One of the ways in which I will be committing myself to the Lord in the coming year is in giving Him the first fruits of my day through dedicated prayer and Bible reading. I’ve gotten away from this and my heart desperately needs it. In order to help me to be successful on this journey, I am committing to read God’s Word chronologically using The Message Bible. I’ve owned a Message Bible for several years, but have never read it, with the exception of looking up scripture here and there.

This is how my 2017 scripture focus reads in The Message:

Open up before God, keep nothing back;
    he’ll do whatever needs to be done:
(Psalm 37:5 The Message)

I would love to invite you to join my Facebook Group. This group will be a place to share insights and encourage one another on this journey. The only requirement is that you plan to read chronologically using The Message Bible. Just follow the link and request to join!

Have you chosen a One Word focus for 2017? I would love to know what it is and how it found you! Be sure to leave a comment so that I can visit you!

SUSAN
    December 28, 2016 at 10:40 am

Dang it the girl is REALLY back and committed. I am so pleased for you and I know God is going to do a good work in you this year. Yes, Lord.

December 28, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I’m so glad I came upon your post about reading through The Message. I really do believe this will be life changing. Thanks for your love and support Susan!

~Karrilee~
    December 28, 2016 at 11:58 am

I love this! I am praying about joining you… We gave away a ton of Bible In A Year Bibles at church and my Honey reads through the Bible every couple of years. I have tried –but I fade out because, well –you know how I don’t like anything to Boss me around so much! But The Message? That is less Bossy, right?

My OneWord is being revealed later this week but I will tell you quietly here, I love it WAY MUCH MORE than my OneWord for this year (which was Change!) ugh… 😉 This one for 2017 is way more dreamy!

December 28, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I really do believe, aside from sticking with a reading schedule, that reading through The Message is less bossy! I hope you plan to join us Karrilee. I saw that you joined the group, but no pressure. You can be a cheerleader alongside of Susan if you change your mind 🙂

June
    December 28, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I’m overJOYed to read this, Barbie! The Lord has been working on you, quietly, yet consistently. I’m so excited to see how He challenges and grows you in 2017! I’ll be writing about my one word soon 😉

December 28, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I’m looking forward to reading about your One Word June. Thank you for all of your support!

Lillian Stevens
    December 28, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Wonderful scripture and Oneword for 2017! May the Lord bless you in the upcoming year!

December 30, 2016 at 8:04 am

Thank you Lillian!

Robin
    December 29, 2016 at 7:15 am

I love your word. I need to commit to some things myself this coming year. I have a word that, like you, sort of came to me. In past years I haven’t always followed through with focusing on one word so I am praying about it.

December 30, 2016 at 8:05 am

I’ve struggled to follow through with mine in the past. But I really believe when the word surprises us that is when God wants to really get our attention. Have a blessed weekend. Happy New Year!

Tara
    January 1, 2017 at 12:32 pm

A great word for the year!

January 2, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Thank you Tara!

Rachelle Craig
    January 2, 2017 at 4:54 am

It took me clear up to yesterday afternoon to receive clarity from God on my word. I kept hearing a mix of 4 words, One, Share, Focus and Trust! Then about 3 days ago I began seeing Isaiah 43:19 everywhere I looked. I even turned to it 3 times within 2 days when opening my Bible. So I have decided to TRUST God, and see what new things He has planned for 2017! I am also praying for more dedication to my blog. I want to join your group, but have that fear of over committing myself! I think I’m going to join, and TRUST Him to help me be more intentional with my time! ❤

January 2, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Rachelle, I love see you here. I love your One Word choice as I need to learn to trust in greater ways myself. I see you joined my FB group. No pressure and NO condemnation. We are all growing together. Have a beautiful week.

Shelby
    January 3, 2017 at 11:54 am

Commit is a big one. HUGE. And it kind of goes hand in hand with my WHOLEHEARTED. As we all know, I have a tendency to not finish that which I start!

Looking forward to the Bible reading plan with you.