Joy {Five Minute Friday}

[wc_box color=”secondary” text_align=”left”]

Thrilled to be back writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is were we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

Christmas time. It’s a season of wide-eyed wonder. A season where our hearts come alive with the promise of a King. It’s a season of joy, laughter and hope fulfilled.

But what if the joy that is supposed to come with this season isn’t residing in your own heart? Don’t get me wrong, I know that the joy found in Christ is not the temporary boost of energy I receive from having a good day. It’s not the “feel good” feelings I get when I am encouraged by a loved one, or when my children give me hugs. Rather, it’s the deep and abiding stream of God’s presence which resides in every believer. It’s attainable to all.

But some days joy feels so unattainable.

I have to be careful. I am prone to depression, especially around the holidays when finances (or the lack thereof) make it very difficult for me to live up to the giving nature that I was born with, even when being frugal. The ever-growing pile of bills and the shortfall every month eat away at you.

And then there’s the spats with the husband, or argumentative children. The uncontrollable clutter and the lack of energy to conquer the mountains of laundry. The days where you beat yourself up because you missed the mark, failed to homeschool effectively or felt anything but joyful.

In this season I find myself reaching for joy. I can almost lay hold of it. It’s easy to say I will set aside my pain, my problems, my circumstances and embrace the joy of the season. It’s easier said than done.

When I turn my heart towards gratitude, joy enters my heart. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

“Joy to the word, the Lord is come. Let earth receive her King.”

Life is good. Not perfect. But it is good. I am loved. I have a roof over my head. My children are healthy. I love my job. I have beautiful women in my life to uplift and encourage me. God is on my side.

I’m choosing to focus on what is good in my life knowing that when I turn my heart towards gratitude, all of the stuff that is fighting to steal my joy will have to bow down to the King of my heart.

How about you? Are you fighting to stay in a place of joy in this season? How can I pray for you?

Linking up with the beautiful Five Minute Friday writers.

1. struggling with health this year has made the journey a touch tougher this year, but it’s coming along. We have a beautiful snowy day outside today and I just want to put up my Christmas village and get things going for the season to come. 🙂 JOY!

Visiting from Fmf #16

• Barbie says:

I’m sorry to hear of your health issues. I think there is something beautiful about snow at Christmas time. Have a blessed week!

2. Lori says:

“all of the stuff that is fighting to steal my joy will have to bow down to the King of my heart”

I think you found a focus! I love that statement. Thank you for your honesty about the struggle to maintain a joy amidst trials. This statement brought me a smile. Thank you. – Lori
    visiting from FMF

3. Anita Ojeda says:

I’m looking for ways to bring joy to others this season–because our nest will be empty.

• Barbie says:

Oh Anita, I can’t imagine. While I have one off and married, I still ave one adult son and two teens at home. But I know empty nest will happen more quickly then I would like. Bringing joy to others this season is such a beautiful thing to want to do. Blessed by your visit.

4. June says:

There are so many things in life that can mar that Currier and Ives picture of what Christmas should be. I’m with you, Barbie, focusing on the good and being grateful for it always brings JOY into my life! Blessings, friend.

5. Tara says:

Ooh I love this reminder.

6. michelle says:

The struggle is real. Praying your season is filled with joy as you celebrate with your family the birth of Jesus!

7. K Ann Guinn says:

Wonderful reminder that we need to choose joy, and that it truly starts with a heart of gratitude. “Real” life can so easily try to steal our joy, so like so many good and right things in life, it really is a fight. I’m thankful that with God on our side we can be victorious in maintaining thoughts and an attitude of joy.

Visiting you back from FMF.

8. I love this, Barbie! And especially that even when joy might come hard, you ask in closing, “How can I pray for you?”

You’re a true Christian hero.

9. Christy says:

Your words are so true! Some days that joy does seem so unattainable. Some of life’s circumstances are hard and they often seem magnified during this season. Glory be to God! Christ is teaching me this year to relish in the haves, and not the have nots! And I realize my haves are SO much greater than the nots, that I wonder why I have dwelt on the nots for so long!

10. “all of the stuff that is fighting to steal my joy will have to bow down to the King of my heart.” Love that image!