25 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Connect // Five Minute Friday

[wc_box color=”secondary” text_align=”left”]Thrilled to be back writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did![/wc_box]

Today’s word prompt is…

From the moment we are born, we long to connect.

Out of the womb we cry for the mother who carried us to to be nurtured and held by.

As a toddler, we crave learning and delight in following the footsteps of our parents.

As a teenager, we long to be known and accepted into wider communities.

As adults, we desire to make meaningful and lasting connections with those around us.

I haven’t always found it easy to connect with others. When I was younger, I was a very social person, the life of the party others often said about me. Connecting came easy to me and I had many friends. Yet as I’ve gotten older, it seems that connecting is much harder. Perhaps it’s because there are so many other things fighting for my attention. Yet, deep down in my soul, I long to connect.

Deep down in my soul I long to connect. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

To touch the arm of my husband with a simple look of understanding.

But most of all, I long to connect with my Father in heaven. Although He has brought me many meaningful relationships, all pale in comparison to Him.

To touch the heart of God in order to understand His ways.
To speak the Word of God so that others will understand His love.
To spread the joy of God so that others will know there is hope.

How about you my friend, how are you making meaningful connections with God and others in your life? Come join us at the Five Minute Friday community.

Tara
    January 5, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Love this post! You’re so right. Through every aspect of life, we crave connection in one way or another. Connection is a great thing, but can be so hard too. I’m your neighbor at FMF this week.

January 7, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by Tara. I try to be intention in connecting but often miss the mark. But yes, connection is so vital. Have a great week!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    January 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Great post, Barbie!

I suppose I’m a statistical outlier in that I never craved connexion; a very unpleasant childhood put paid to that, and I just wanted to be left alone.

It’s only in recent years, and very largely due to the FMF community, that I have found the joy that lies in relationship.

#2 at FMF this week.

January 7, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I completely understand Andrew. I am thankful you found community within the FMF group. Your presence there is so needed.

Patti P
    January 6, 2017 at 10:18 am

Wonderful post. I found it holds true for me. Being a military spouse, and three moves in 7 1/2 years, makes connecting with people challenging. My sister was able to make connections easily, but it did not come that easily to me. So I really could relate to your post. Connecting with God is definitely high on my list of priorities.

January 7, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I can’t imagine moving so much. I can understand how that would make connecting very hard. I am thankful that I’ve connected with you in blogging and in our homeschooling efforts. Have a blessed week.

Patti P.
        January 8, 2017 at 8:37 am

The one good thing is that we may Veda a lot while I was growing up, so I am used to it, but finding people to connect with is hard.

SUSAN
    January 6, 2017 at 1:11 pm

You have such a strong voice in our online community and your desire to connect is shining bright.

January 7, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Awe, thanks so much Susan!

Katha
    January 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I agree, as I get older I also find it more difficult to make connection. It seems like everyone already has their circle of friends and don’t always want to connect with new people. Still I want to make the effort and reach out to those who don’t have that circle.

Devan McCoubrey
      January 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I agree – as i get older i find it more difficult to connect and create lasting friendships. I live very rural, and have lived here for three years now. It’s hard to come into a small community and not know anyone and hope to make friends. It can be so lonely sometimes!

January 7, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Hi Devan, thanks for stopping by. I am sure it must be hard living in such a small area and not knowing anyone. I hope that you gain many new friendships and make awesome connections. Have a blessed week.

January 7, 2017 at 9:57 pm

You are like me Katha. When I visit the FMF community link up, I like to start at the bottom and leave comments first for those I’ve never visited before or have no comments. I love to make others feel encouraged and welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Carol
    January 6, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Connection to our Heavenly Father is most important! Amen.

January 7, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Truth. Thanks for stopping by Carol!

June
    January 6, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I find connecting difficult too, Barbie. Connecting with others is something I have to work at and, admittedly don’t always do it well. This Anthrophobic definitely finds it easier to connect from behind a computer screen and I’m thankful for you and all the people I’ve meet through blogging and social media. I have found that as I grow in my relationship with Him the desire to connect with others increases. Fellowship is an important part of our walk with God. Great post!

January 7, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Great insight June. As I’ve said before. so thankful we are connected as sisters in Christ.

Diana Rockwell
    January 7, 2017 at 12:04 am

Barbie, I have some ideas why connection is hard but I also know that when we give as much as we give it is often hard to connect. I loved your post. Blessings my friend. Diana

January 7, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Thank you my sweet Diana!

Jeanne Takenaka
    January 7, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Barbie, I loved your words. You’re so right. We do long to connect from the time we come from the womb onward. As I read your post, it dawned on me that we have a need to be known and it is fed by connecting with others. I hadn’t considered that before.

I am a few years behind you, but with military moves and growing a little older, it is more challenging to connect with other women. I’ve had conversations with my mom about this same topic. What is it that makes it harder, I wonder?

Your post really spoke to me today. Have a great weekend!

January 7, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I definately thank it’s become harder with years. I want to surround myself with like minded people who will keep me laughing as I grow older. Thanks for stopping by!

Christina
    January 8, 2017 at 11:49 am

Barbie, these are my favorite lines: “To speak the love language of my children so that they will not doubt my love for them.
    To laugh and cry with girlfriends far and wide so that they will know they are not alone.” Yes, we have to acknowledge our human longings and then take them to Jesus. And when connections aren’t quite happening as we’d want and when they are, He is the lifeline that never fails. Thank you for expressing the yearning throughout our lives.

Lesley
    January 8, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I agree, we are born with a longing to connect, but still it is not always easy. It is important to be intentional about it both connecting with God and with others.

Dianne Thornton
    January 10, 2017 at 7:57 am

Like you, Barbie, my ability and desire to connect has changed through the years. At this point, I find myself wanting to DISconnect at times … yet know that connecting is best. Connecting with my Father has remained constant!

Anita Ojeda
    January 10, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I connect easily with God, but the introvert in me has a much more difficult time connecting with others (or maybe it’s just the selfishness of me :/).