Refine // Five Minute Friday

[wc_box color=”secondary” text_align=”left”]Thrilled to be back writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did![/wc_box]

Today’s word prompt is…REFINE

“Refiner’s fire
my heart’s one desire,
is to be holy
set apart for you Lord.”

I remember singing the words to this song after I got saved not really understanding the impact of what it was I was asking of the Lord. But there is one thing I know now and that is if you pray it, He will act on it.

If I pray it, He will act on it. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

To refine: remove impurities or unwanted elements from.

There are days when the process of refining goes unnoticed. He is here, working behind the scenes, preparing my heart, mind and soul for what is to come. And I go on about my life, clueless that there is something coming and if I’m not careful it will hit me so hard that the wind will be knocked right out of me.

To be refined in the fire of the Lord comes with a certain level of discomfort. I picture the Lord holding my heart in His hands. He lowers my heart down into the Refiner’s Fire, still holding my heart in His hands. Even there, in the midst of the intense heat, He does not let go. Just when I think I can’t take any more, He brings me up, allows me to cool just a little, only to lower me down again.  This process is repeated over and over again throughout my life as I am continually being refined.

This refining process is necessary if I am to be like, look like and love like Jesus. I want a heart like His, a heart that beats in rhythm with the heartbeat of God, a heart that is for others and filled with love, compassion and mercy.

My messy, cluttered and sinful heart often gets in the way of His light shining through. So even though it’s hard at times, I welcome the Refiner’s Fire.

Refine me as gold so I may reflect you in all that I say and do. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

Linking up with the beautiful Five Minute Friday community of writers. Come join us!

1. leah says:

Hi, we’re FMF neighbors this week!

When I came here and noticed you’d quoted “Refiners Fire,” my heart skipped a few beats! That’s one of my all time fave songs, one I often play over and over again. I’m parked in #10 this time, and you can find me here:

Peace and joy!

2. This is great, Barbie, and you’re so right. We need to be refined to be like Jesus…even if it hurts.

3. Charlie says:

“This refining process is necessary if I am to be like, look like and love like Jesus.” So true! Thank you for this reminder today.

4. Good thoughts ma’am, good thoughts. He holds us through it all.

5. It’s a process that I sometimes want to run away from, but I know from experience that it is so worth it. Thanks for sharing your heart.

6. Amanda says:

I want a heart like you described full of compassion and mercy. I think that is something missing from so many situations. If we had a little humility and love we could probably make great strides with so many of the problems of today.

7. I love your word picture of God bringing our hearts into the fire but never letting go and our reflecting Him in all we do. He is always there. Great post on this week’s FMF.

Have a wonderful weekend!

8. Lori says:

The song you mention is one I don’t know. I guess I need to see if I can find it. Sounds interesting. I really appreciated your comment about the refining sometimes knocking the wind out of us. Thankfully, God is always there, as you so beautifully stated. Thanks so much. – Lori, visiting from FMF #62

9. Barbie, when I saw our word, that song flashed through my head too. 🙂 I love the prayer that it is. The words that you share about refining are spot on. I love the visual of God holding my heart in His hands as He lowers it into the Refiner’s fire. He’s always holding us, always with us, in the hard times and the easier times. There’s great comfort in that, isn’t there?

10. Lux G. says:

Refine me. Amen.

11. June says:

It’s not your imagination that He holds us as we’re being refined. We couldn’t go through the fire without Him. Blessings on your Monday!

12. ~Karrilee~ says:

So much Amen! (And me too, my friend!) xoxo

13. Tara says:

Amen! “Come, Lord Jesus, refine me as gold so that I may reflect you in all that I say and do.”