32 In Faith/ Glimpses

What To Do When You’re Feeling SAD // Glimpses Link Up

The days have been dark and dreary here. It’s been cold, raining non stop and the sun hasn’t risen where I can feel the warmth of it’s rays on my skin. Living in California, I feel somewhat guilty complaining because I know so many who are struggling through a harsh and devastating winter season. But the reason I dislike Winter so much isn’t so much about the weather, but rather how Winter makes me feel.

The days are long and sleep eludes me. I’m on edge and can’t seem to clear my head. I fear I may cry at any given moment, for no apparent reason, and I’d much rather stay in bed all day. Lately, I’ve been struggling with what is commonly known as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons — SAD begins and ends at about the same times every year. If you’re like most people with SAD, your symptoms start in the fall and continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody.

I didn’t use to pay any attention to the seasons and how their changes affect my mood. But I’m learning to identify some of my seasons of depression and mood swings due to the height of the Winter season. I don’t like feeling this way. I tell myself every day that “this is the day that the Lord has made” and that I should rejoice and be glad in it. I have to constantly remind myself that He is good and that this too shall pass.

So, what does one do when they are stricken with SAD?

Treatment for SAD may include light therapy (phototherapy), psychotherapy
and medications.

While I have been able to remain medication free for a number of years, and while my friends and family are as much psychotherapy that I feel safe allowing into my life, what is most lacking on these dark days is the light. It’s not because the light isn’t there and I don’t know how to access it, but because it seems to take all of my strength and energy to lift my hands and turn on the light. If I am to overcome the darkness in my life, I must allow the light in.

If I am to overcome the darkness in my life, I must allow the light in. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

It’s in the light where depression realizes it has no place and has to flee.
It’s in the light where I can once again see the beauty that God has given to me.

Tomorrow I will wake up and turn the light on. I will grab my Bible and my reading plan and meet with God, no matter how hard it is to get out of bed. His light is essential to allowing me to see the beauty He’s given to me in the midst of a dark season.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #281-290

281. Taking 5 bags of unnecessary stuff to the donation station.
282. A “just because” note from someone I love.
283. His word is a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path.
284. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.
285. More eBay sales to help financially this month.
286. The heater that keeps our house warm on cold days/nights.
287. Starbucks Toasted Butterscotch Latte – Yummy!
288. A BOGO burger date with my teen girl.
289. New online homeschool friends to encourage me in this season.
290. Free homeschool resources in exchange for reviews. Thank you Jesus!

Do you suffer from SAD? What do you do to let the light in when darkness is looming?

Blooming lavender in a field at sunset in Provence, FranceIt is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

Lesley
    January 23, 2017 at 1:12 am

So true that whatever we’re facing we have to choose to let the light in to see things as they really are. Praying for you today!

January 23, 2017 at 7:10 am

Thank you Lesley. Have a beautiful week.

Bev @ Walking Well With God
    January 23, 2017 at 2:59 am

Barbie,
    I, too, suffer from episodes of depression. Usually I do pretty well with medicine, but these endless days of rain and gloom are really getting to me. The South is known for its sunshine and I’m more than ready for it to return!! It’s amazing how “light” is a cure for most things. I know I need His light in my life!
    Blessings,
    Bev

January 23, 2017 at 7:11 am

Praying for you today, that His light will invade those episodes of depression and that you will feel the warmth of His rays on your face. Blessings!

Sarah Geringer
    January 23, 2017 at 4:09 am

Barbie, I know exactly how you feel. I struggle with seasonal affective disorder too. The low clouds have gotten to me this past week. Just being out in the sunshine for a while helps so much. When we built our house 13 years ago, I insisted on having many windows because I am certain a dark home affects my moods. Also, I keep our Christmas tree up until March (it’s covered in snowflake decor now) because that extra light at night helps tremendously. Praying you find more creative solutions!

Kym
      January 23, 2017 at 6:07 am

I love the idea of keeping the tree up, just with a less “christmas-y” decor! Interesting that it helps you with SAD as well.

January 23, 2017 at 7:13 am

That’s a great idea right Kym?

January 23, 2017 at 7:12 am

That’s an awesome idea. Now if only my kids would allow me to purchase a fake tree. Perhaps it’s time for a second tree in our home. Thanks for sharing your experience Sarah!

Michele Morin
    January 23, 2017 at 4:31 am

My husband struggles with SAD, and here in the Northeast, it’s a challenge to FIND daylight enough to be pro-active in beating it. So glad that you’ve shared your struggles here. I’m sure that you will encourage others who are experiencing the problem.

January 23, 2017 at 7:13 am

Thank you Michele. I know so many who struggle with this. Have a blessed week.

Laura Rath
    January 23, 2017 at 4:47 am

I hear you Barbie! I’m in the Midwest and winter can be long. The dreary days certainly remind me of how much I need and appreciate the light…from the son and the Son.

January 23, 2017 at 7:13 am

AMEN!

jodie filogomo
    January 23, 2017 at 5:52 am

Even when the weather is not to blame, we can all benefit from these glimpses of beauty.
    And it always makes me feel better to help out someone else!
    jodie

January 23, 2017 at 7:14 am

Thanks so much Jodie!

Kym
    January 23, 2017 at 6:09 am

I sometimes wonder if perhaps my son doesn’t have a bit of SAD. I’m trying to convince him to spend less time in his room, which is his haven on the one hand but lacking in sunlight on the other.

January 23, 2017 at 7:15 am

I notice my kids are more grumpy when the weather is gloomy. My son just said the other day how he longs for sunshine so he could play basketball outside all day. Makes him happy!

Lisa notes
    January 23, 2017 at 7:28 am

I have an older friend who struggles with SAD as well. I’ll be glad when spring comes for all of you! Praying for you, Barbie.

Joy Lenton
    January 23, 2017 at 9:42 am

Barbie, as a fellow SAD sufferer, I fully sympathise and empathise with you. The period from September to April is always challenging for me. It definitely takes a deliberate turning toward the light, an earnest seeking of God’s presence to help allay the darkness seeping into our souls, as well as our days. And I believe He honours the tiniest baby steps in His direction, waits to enfold His weary, dispirited child in His loving embrace and restore joy back to her wintry heart. God sees the desire you have within and will meet with you in any given moment. Sometimes all it takes to feel less alone is a heart lifted heavenwards and a whisper of His Name. God is always with you, my friend, whether you sense Him there or not. Sending loving thoughts and prayers and sympathy hugs to you. xo <3

January 24, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Thank you Joy. You are always so encouraging and have the exact words I need. Blessings!

Ruth
    January 23, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Our military docs are not big on diagnosing things like that. But they have prescribed Vitamin D for me in the past. I have to self-diagnose, and I would say yes, SAD has been a problem for me for over a decade. I have tried special lights. Helps some, I guess. I’ve left lights on in rooms I’m not staying in constantly but have to walk through as I do housework. I leave Christmas lights strung along the wall in a couple of rooms for months at a time so I can turn them on on especially gray and dreary days.
    This year I have had less problem with it; I think the supplements I’m taking have a lot to do with it. I got some Vitamin D-3 (2,000 IU) with Coconut oil softgels from Swanson Vitamins and started taking them in the fall every day that I got no sunshine. I’ve also started taking Biotin 5,000mcg which I didn’t realize helps with energy production (I was taking it for hair and nails) and magnesium citrate, both from NOW foods (Swanson carries them as well at a reduced price). God bless you with healing and joy!

January 24, 2017 at 9:10 pm

You know, I have a high dose of prescription Vitamin D that I’ve let lapse. I bet if I start taking that I would see a difference. Thank you so much for sharing about your experience.

Ruth
        January 25, 2017 at 9:07 am

I think you will! May the Lord bless you and help you to feel better soon! 🙂

Elizabeth
    January 23, 2017 at 9:13 pm

My friend has a special light to help with SAD which isn’t uncommon here in the PNW. I’m sorry that I keep forgetting about your Monday link up!

January 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Oh no worries Elizabeth. I keep forgetting to visit your place. I should look into one of those special lights. Blessings!

Mary Geisen
    January 24, 2017 at 7:05 am

Yes to these words- “It’s in the light where depression realizes it has no place and has to flee.
    It’s in the light where I realize my worth and value and begin to pursue my destiny.”

Winters here in the midwest or one gray day after another. It is very wearing not only physically but mentally and emotionally. My one brother moved out of the midwest about ten years ago and hasn’t looked back. He is affected with SAD. Thank you for sharing so transparently.

January 24, 2017 at 9:12 pm

While I’ve never been officially diagnosed, I can see the trends and know the reason behind the “doom and gloom” attitude during the winter months. I am thankful being in California that I only have to deal with this for a few months. Thanks for stopping by!

Trudy
    January 24, 2017 at 10:13 am

I’m sorry you suffer from SAD, Barbie. Thank you for being so transparent. Winter days here in the Midwest have been so cloudy lately that my husband and I rejoice when the sun breaks through. Though I don’t think I have SAD, I do tend to get depressed more easily in the winter. I basically have to hibernate because my lungs resist the cold big-time. So these days I have to keep reminding myself to cling to the LIGHT. I love how you describe it in those three truth statements. So very true. Thank you for this encouraging reminder. I pray God’s light will dispel the darkness that wants to take over in this season. I LOVE that photo! It’s photos of God’s beautiful creation that help to dispel the darkness. Love and hugs!

January 24, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I’ve never been officially diagnosed but can see the symptoms during these winter months. Thank you for your prayers. Blessings!

Meghan E. Weyerbacher
    January 24, 2017 at 4:48 pm

My mom has a similar struggle and I did too though I wasn’t diagnosed officially. My heart goes out to people. You are right, we can list the good as reminders! I love the Word too and how God always draws me back to Him when I get off-key. I appreciate your transparency, Barbie! Prayers for you in this season!

January 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I wasn’t officially diagnosed either, but the symptoms are so clear. Living in California, I’m thankful that I only have to deal with it a few months out of the year. Thanks for stopping by Meghan!

June
    January 27, 2017 at 11:27 am

We always called it cabin fever in Vermont. I find that I struggle with the lack of sunshine no matter what time of year it may happen. Thankfully, God’s Light is always available to us. Opening your bible and making your gratitude lists are ways to ensure it shines brightly. Good for you, Barbie!

January 28, 2017 at 11:15 am

My gratitude list is really opening my eyes. As I continue to give thanks, or the big and the small, I realize how truly blessed I am. Have a blessed weekend June!