A Working Mom’s Homeschool Life: D – Direct Access

Thanks for joining me today for the blogging A to Z challenge as I share my life as a working homeschool mom and blog my way through the alphabet. Visit my series landing page for all of the posts in this series.

D – Direct Access

One of the things I enjoy most about being a homeschool mom is that I get to have direct access to things that I would otherwise have to jump through hoops to get in traditional school.

For instance, I get to have direct access to my child’s progress and grades. My daughter attends a public high school and their grading system isn’t always updated so I have to email teachers — sometimes more than once — to ask about grades/missing work and sometimes I don’t even get the courtesy of a returned email. With my son, I know exactly how he is progressing in every subject. Although I’ve chosen not to give grades in middle school, I have direct access to my planner which shows me where he’s passing and where he needs work.

Next, I get to have direct access to my child’s daily activities. Once I drop my daughter off at school, I don’t talk to her or see her again until she gets home. We may text real quick during the day, if there is something that needs immediate attention. With my son though, I pretty much know what he’s up to. Since I work outside the home, we have text “check in’s” almost daily. He asks if he can defer something until the evening, or tells me when I forgot to print out his math worksheets. I also have direct access to where he’s going on the internet at all times. I receive text alerts on my phone if he strays into the world of Minecraft when he’s supposed to be doing on line Math or Bible.

Lastly, I get direct access to resources. I love being able to browse the internet for free/low cost supplements to use in our homeschooling that can be instantly downloaded to my computer or our Kindle Fire tablet. I’ve downloaded many books for free which we have read, will read in the future. I love being able to make those choices directly myself.

If you are a homeschooler, what do you have direct access to that you love? If you aren’t, what is something that God has given you direct access to that is a blessing in your life?

Linking up with others as we blog our way through the alphabet. Come join us!

A Net In Time Schooling
 Also linked up with my friends over at the Family Friday Link Up and Homeschool Highlights.
Family Friday Link-Up Party
Homeschool Coffee Break

1. SUSAN says:

I’m sharing these posts with my daughter who homeschools her 8th grade son also!

2. YES Direct access is wonderful and I never even considered that a blessing! So thank you!

3. Renee K. says:

Amen to that. I love having direct access to my kids in all aspects of their life.

4. direct access…I love being able to answer my son’s questions about things we see or learn about by googling it. 🙂

5. Patti P. says:

I love having direct access to their hearts as well as their minds. I also love having the ability to see when something is not working so I can change it or make modifications immediately.

6. BettieG says:

Yes, that Direct Access was such a Blessing. My children are grown now, and some of my Grandchildren have started the next generation of being homeschooled! I look back and can say that it was truly worth it all to have that direct line of communication that homeschooling offered us. I commend you for homeschooling while you work outside the home. You are amazing! Blessings to you!

7. Because my son is special needs, Direct Access is essential. I know he’s safe. I know he’s not being bullied. I know he’s actually learning. I know what his strengths are and where he struggles. I know that if he gets breaks when he needs them. It gives both of us peace of mind and that is a huge blessing!

8. Kirsten West says:

I treasure the direct access to my children’s learning so that I can adjust the explanations of a given topic so they understand the first time and avoid the feeling of failure. I love this post!

9. Zekesmom10 says:

I love being able to make adjustments quickly when something isn’t working. I don’t like being frustrated and I’m sure he doesn’t either. With special needs, that’s doubly important. I never though about it in such precise terms as you put it, but having the continual contact and the hands-on-ed-ness of homeschooling is important in so many ways.

10. Kym says:

Direct Access is an awesome benefit of homeschooling! I loved being on hand when my kids first learned to read, and felt bad for parents who didn’t get to be present for that milestone. Now that my kids are teens and older, I love being present and available for all the little daily dramas of their lives and knowing for sure how they are doing with their schoolwork.

11. Love this 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up at #familyfriday we appreciate it! We hope you come back next week.