10 In Homeschooling

A Working Mom’s Homeschool Life: F – Fear of Failure

Thanks for joining me today for the blogging A to Z challenge as I share my life as a working homeschool mom and blog my way through the alphabet. Visit my series landing page for all of the posts in this series.

I remember when my children were younger and I worked 50 hours a week in San Francisco as a legal secretary, I thought I would never be a homeschooling mom. After all, how does one work outside the home so many hours and actually make homeschooling work?

Fast forward 20 years and here I am, a homeschool mom working outside the home 40 hours a week. Back when I first felt the Lord leading us to pull our son out of school, I was so fearful that I would mess up my child. I feared he would become an anti-social hermit, locked up in the house all day. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to provide him a proper education. I was fearful that he would resent us for making this decision.

I am sure all homeschooling moms have fears from time to time for various reasons. But I think that fear is greater when your children have been in public school their whole life and then you make the decision to turn their world upside down and homeschool them because you feel it’s in their best interest.

And it is.

But I still fear.

If I allow myself to go there and think about all of the things I feel I’m not doing right, we would never accomplish anything. I have to fight hard to push my fears aside and keep taking it one day at a time. We’ve had to make many changes throughout the last two years as we’ve learned how our son learns best. I have to focus my attention on what is going well and not allow those areas of struggle to consume me. Even though this is still all so new to us, there is one thing I can do. I can pray and ask the Lord for wisdom and guidance in all aspects of our homeschooling. Once I release my fears to the Lord, peace will come.

Once I release my fear to the Lord, peace comes. #abcblogging Click To Tweet

It is better to be led by peace than to fight unfounded fears. I have to tell myself every day that what I’m doing is in my child’s best interest and that even though I may fail at times, God will shine His light in those areas that we need the most help. With God in the center, I cannot ever really fail.

It is better to be led by peace then to fight unfounded fears. #abcblogging Click To Tweet

How about you? What unfounded fears are you dealing with in this season?

Linking up with others as we blog our way through the alphabet. Come join us!

A Net In Time Schooling

Jen|Practical By Default
    February 23, 2017 at 4:49 am

This fear of failing is huge. I can only speak of a mom who was a stay at home mom who returned to the work force after already homeschooling. I turned the world they knew upside down and had to adjust. That fear of failing is massive. I am glad you found a way to cope 🙂

February 23, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Jen. One day at a time has become my new motto!

Robin
    February 23, 2017 at 8:29 am

Thanks Barbie. I needed this. We are in a new town with a very small homeschool community. We are facing challenges that we’ve not been used to and honestly, have some decisions to make. I’m scared of making the wrong decision but know that the Lord will guide when I give it all to Him.

February 23, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by Robin. I’ll be praying for the decisions that you face. Blessings!

Nita
    February 24, 2017 at 12:28 am

Fear is a heavy word. It an operate in a space where we act, yet don’t realize the root of our actions are fear. As a mother we try to be the best parent we can, but in the end, our kids have free will as we do, and there is a very good chance that nothing we did will actually stick. However, fear can be a positive driver in our destiny if we turn it around and make sure we teach our kids what’s important, ‘that we love them imperfectly, and that’s okay, because we mom’s make mistakes too.”

February 25, 2017 at 8:00 am

So true Nita. So glad you stopped by!

Amanda Hopkins
    February 25, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Fear of Failure, what a great topic! I have felt this almost daily since our decision to homeschool 4 years ago. I felt the Lord calling me to do this, so every time that fear arises I call to Him right away, “You wanted me to do this, please help me get through this.” This phrase has helped calmed me down A LOT during the years!!

February 26, 2017 at 8:22 pm

That’s a great response to fear, reminding the Lord of what it is He’s called us to do. Thanks for stopping by and sharing! Blessings for a beautiful week Amanda!

Kirsten West
    February 27, 2017 at 7:59 am

I had and continue to have exactly the same fears as you! We took our kids out of public school after a few years and I knew it was the best choice for them, but worried tremendously about being able to teach them and socializing them and … While it was the best thing I could have ever done for them, it meant slowing the growth of my business and taking a financial hit at a time when we really needed that income. Fears ran rampant in my mind back then. Now that my kids are older and we have been doing this for a long time and life is stable, I don’t fear very often but when I do, the best fix is quotes from scripture like the one you have here. Thank you!

Zekesmom10
    February 27, 2017 at 11:57 am

I fear failure every day. I’m pretty sure I fail in some way every day. But when the boys tell me how much they love me, I know I’m doing something right. <3