Breathe // Five Minute Friday

[wc_box color=”secondary” text_align=”left”]Thrilled to be back writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did![/wc_box]

When I was a little girl, I use to have the same recurring nightmare over and over again. I will spare you the details, but after waking up, It was hard to breathe. I couldn’t catch my breath and it brought on a lot of anxiety.

I still struggle with some anxiety issues, although the nightmares are gone. I worry sometimes, often actually, and I know that as a Christian I’m not supposed to worry. But I am one of those people who bring my cares to the cross daily, only to pick them back up again the next day. It’s hard for me to let go and rest in God’s arms. I’ve been through a lot in my life time — hurt, pain, loss, depression, abuse, health issues. God has brought me so far, but I am prone to anxiety. Most days I have to remind myself to breathe.

I think I hold my breath most days, afraid to let go. I fear the good things I’ve been given in this life will disappear, as so many good things have. Perhaps they were not God’s best for me. I am learning to rest in the different seasons of life. God is always good. He always displays His goodness, but I so often miss it because I’m trying to hold on to what I believe is good. But all of this holding on and holding of breath causes anxiety to come and in that state I cannot rest. When I finally breathe Him in and surrender to the exhale of His grace, breathing returns to normal and anxiety is no more.

Breathe Him in and surrender to the exhale of His grace. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

It is God who fills my lungs with the very breath of life. I am learning to breathe deeply in this season. And although sometimes I am still inclined to want to hold my breath, I know that I must keep breathing….in and out, in and out, in and out. My lungs fill up and expand and I can feel the very presence of God filling up the anxious places.

Rest comes when I breathe Him in.

1. Nita says:

Peace comes in prayer and fasting for me. It’s hard to find time to do it since I like to fill my free time with stuff. God opened the door and breezed me through to a new lifestyle and a brand new place. It’s changed my perspective on a lot of things. Sometimes we just need to let ourselves be led.

2. It’s OK to be scared; Jesus was, when He asked that the cup be taken from Him.

I’m terrified some of the time, like this evening. I really don’t want to try to sleep; I’m not afraid of death, but the process of dying, as it has been demonstrated to me, isn’t much fun.

#2 at FMF this week.

• Barbie says:

I can imagine how you would have those feelings. I ushered my grandmother in her passing. For the most part, it was a beautiful experience, yet there were those very hard moments. Praying for you tonight Andrew!

3. Red says:

It’s funny that we need to be reminded to breathe. What do trainers in gym class say? “Keep breathing!” Yoga instructors: “remember your breath!” Lamaze coaches: “Breathe!”

Of course we are breathing, but it’s so much better when we do more than just maintain a light breath. Breathe!
    Visiting from FMF.

4. Lois says:

Oh how I needed this today.

Breathing easier after reading this post… thank you so much for writing and sharing it.

May our beautiful Lord bless you for your faithfulness to Him, today and always. 🙂

5. Tara says:

I’m a worrier too. It is so hard to not worry but you’re right God is with us. God gives us the breathe in our lungs. I’m over in the 6 spot this week.

6. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, it can be hard to breathe. The very act of inhaling and exhaling can cause pain. But the beautiful thing is that as we breathe Him in, we find that we exhale all the tension and anxiety to the One who holds us tightly within His grip. Beautiful post!

7. Lovely words! I tweeted your quote. I love the image of the presence of God filling up the anxious places.

8. SUSAN says:

I think the very best thing any of us can do? Is the next thing.

9. It is God who fills my lungs with the very breath of life. I liked that line. 🙂

10. Mitzi says:

Beautiful sharing of your heart….

11. Andréa Lane says:

Oh yes, I have to remind myself to trust and seek the Lord, and put down my concerns in exchange for the cross, daily. Thank you for stopping by my blog today, I’m so glad to have found you today.
    Andréa

12. Carol E. says:

Thank you for sharing your heart, and the reminder that God is always good – all the time!

13. Amy Patton says:

Really good thoughts Barbie. I too struggle with fear of losing the good. So much so I often hold onto it too hard and too long. Sometimes letting go ends up being a breath of fresh air.

14. God is always good. But God is not always easy…it’s important to remember that distinction.

We are reading a book right now (the lad and I) and God has punished the Israelites for their foul deed of worshipping the golden idol. His action was NOT easy…but it was still good. It was necessary as a cleansing.

Sometimes we fail to see that.
    BUT keep your faith. He does know what he is doing eh?

Good post. Real.

15. As I read your post I was reminded at how often when things get tough I hold things in deeper and tighter. Letting go and just being and breathing is not my second nature. I can relate. God has brought me through so much and so often I stand back amazed at how far I have come, yet there is still so much farther. I am glad He is there to guide us all.
    Have a great weekend!