Safe // Five Minute Friday

[wc_box color=”secondary” text_align=”left”]Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did![/wc_box]

It’s late at night and the darkness has overwhelmed me.

I’d run toward the light, but there isn’t any to be found.

I put my hand in front of my face. Surely there must be light somewhere.

My breath becomes labored as I wade through the thick, dark fog that surrounds me.

I bump into rocks, sharp objects, things that would threaten to harm me.

I wander aimlessly. Will I ever come to the end?

I am left beaten and bruised from encounters with those who sought to kill, steal and destroy.

Just when I feel faint and am ready to give up, there it is, a glimmer of hope.

I muster up the strength to rise up and walk toward the light.

With each step, it grows brighter. With each step, I grow stronger.

When I come to the end of the vast tunnel of darkness, it disappears, in an instant.

All that remains is a light so bright that I cannot look upon it.

But I know Who is there, waiting for me.

All I need to do is crawl up into His lap, and there I am safe.

I’ve come to the end of myself and now I am safe in the arms of the One who holds me.

I've come to the end of myself and now I am safe in the arms of the One who holds me. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

You who sit down in the High God’s presence,
    spend the night in Shaddai’s shadow,
Say this: “God, you’re my refuge.
    I trust in you and I’m safe!”
That’s right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
    shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
    under them you’re perfectly safe;
    his arms fend off all harm.
(Psalm 91:1-4 MSG)

*I have no idea where this one came from. It’s so much different than my normal writing. That is what I love about Five Minute Fridays. You never know what you are going to create in just five minutes.

Linking up with the beautiful Five Minute Friday community.

1. Jennifer says:

I love this. Poetic, rich, deep, pondering. Thank you. Beautiful. Inspiring and encouraging. Bless you!

2. Great post, Barbie. I love this.

For years I scorned the thought of crawling into Jesus’ lap, a place of safety. I could deal with things on my own.

No more. I gave everything I had, and now, I would gladly take some rest.

#1 at FMF this week.

3. Lesley says:

I love your writing here, Barbie! I agree, one of the things I love about FMF is you never know what’s going to come out. It’s so comforting to know that whatever we face, we have a place of safety to go to. Psalm 91 is one of my favourite chapters in the Bible.

4. Trudy says:

I really love this, Barbie. I could feel the desperation with you. No more hope left in ourselves. Safety at last as we give up all and rest safely in the loving arms of Jesus! Thank you for encouraging my heart today! Have a blessed weekend!

5. Christina says:

Barbie, it is interesting to see how different everyone’s writing style is given just five minutes. I enjoyed reading yours.

• Barbie says:

Awe thanks Susan. Such a different style for me. This is what I love about FMF, you never know what will come out in five minutes!

6. Lisa says:

I love that you were inspired to write a different from your norm way! Exciting! Lisa- from FMF!

7. Tara says:

Amen. Safe in the arms of Jesus! I’m in the 62 spot this week.

8. Caroll says:

I have a friend who at times pictures Jesus on her love-seat, waiting to hold her when she needs it. It’s a rather comforting picture!

9. Beautiful start to a story of redemption and hope.

10. How fun to do something different. Oh, how clearly you show the need to trust for it is only then that we truly feel the safety that is ours because we belong to Christ.

• Barbie says:

It’s taken me half my life to get to this point of trust. I still get tripped up somethings, But God is good. Thank you for stopping by Debbie!

11. Gayl says:

This is beautiful, Barbie! It comes from deep in your heart. 🙂 Many blessings to you!

12. Paula says:

This was beautiful Barbie. I feel like I have lived this myself. I am so glad HE is there when We need Him and even when we don’t!!

13. Esther says:

Beautiful. Healing. Uplifting. I appreciate the reminder that we can crawl up into our Father’s lap and be held. Blessings. Visiting from FMF.

14. Beautiful, Barbie, such a great post. One I am glad I read. I so loved coming to the light with you. Blessings my friend. I am in space 92. Diana

15. Sherry says:

It reminds me of a parent with a small child. Which is often how I think of the Lord because his wisdom is so much bigger than I can understand. Thanks for sharing.

16. Barbie, I could feel the sense of despair turning into hope as you spied Him. I love the image of climbing on His lap. Great use of scripture too! Number #40 at the linkup.

17. Vivid writing. Thank you for sharing it and allowing it to flow free. What comfort in these words. Through the dark into the arms of the One Who Is there waiting. Bless you.