24 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Weak // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

There is a lot going on in my life, as I am sure there is in yours. But one thing has been missing from my day more often than I care to admit. The Word of God that breathes life to my soul is the first thing that goes when I’m struggling. Not because I don’t love Him. Not because I don’t crave His truth.  But when the seasons ebb harder and the road gets rocky, I have a hard time focusing and the truth hits bumps along the way and my heart closes up and truth bounces off and I forget to lay hold.

I feel weak from the mundaneness of life. I feel beat up from the disappointments that still resound with words that tell me that perhaps I’m really not enough. But it’s in my weakness, when I’m about to break, that I must fully embrace the truth. His Word is life to my weakened soul. His Word breathes hope to my spirit and sends light radiating through the darkness to combat the lies. His Word brings strength and causes me to stand tall where I no longer feel overcome by weakness.

His Word brings strength and causes me to stand tall where I am no longer overcome by weakness. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

It’s Christ IN me the hope of glory. His power is perfected in my weakness.

My grace is enough; it’s all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
(2 Corinthians 12:9 MSG)

I need Him today friend. I can’t do all that I do without Him. I can’t get up and keep going without His Word on my lips and in my heart. I am thankful for His grace, again and again, when I choose to start my day without Him. I’m thankful that He reminds me that He’s here and that the burdens I carry aren’t mine to bare.

How are you doing today? How can I pray for you?

Linking up with the beautiful Five Minute Friday community.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    February 16, 2017 at 10:56 pm

“…it’s in my weakness, when I’m about to break, that I must fully embrace the truth.”

Wow, Barbie. This is just great, and spot-on! Excellent essay.

#1 at FMF this week.

February 17, 2017 at 6:54 am

Thanks so much Andrew! Will be heading over to your place soon.

Sylvia R
    February 17, 2017 at 3:21 am

Hi Barbie,
    I’m so glad to see you here at FMF. I used to read your posts at another link-up that is no more. Good to be reading them again. Especially this one. How well I (unfortunately) identify: “my heart closes up and truth bounces off and I forget to lay hold.” But He always seems to send reminders, doesn’t He? That’s what this prompt word was for me (and previous ones, lately). Actually there’s a lot in this post of yours that I identify with. I’m going to be praying for you. God bless–and strengthen you!

February 17, 2017 at 6:55 am

Sylvia, I am so glad you stopped by. I look forward to reading your post. Have a blessed weekend.

Mary Geisen
    February 17, 2017 at 6:01 am

God is so good to give us grace over and over. It is that beautiful gift that keeps me going. Thank you for pointing us to God’s word as our source of strength.

February 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

Have a beautiful weekend Mary. I’m loving your series on the Beatitudes!

Joanne Viola
    February 17, 2017 at 6:03 am

Barbie, how merciful of our God to bring us His strength in our weakness. I am so grateful that He knows we are weak and He is moved with compassion to respond to us. Blessings, sweet friend!

February 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

Me too Joanne! Blessings!

Nicki Schroeder
    February 17, 2017 at 6:26 am

Five minutes of writing has left us all with the affirmation that we aren’t alone in this struggle with the Word girl. You are spot on, Barbie, when life gets bumpy that Bible seems to get knocked out of the way. When truthfully we need to put it in front of us and make it MORE of a priority thru the difficult seasons. GREAT post! love this. love you. love your heart to share God’s Truth!

February 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

Nicki, thank you for always being so encouraging! Hugs!

Karen Sebastian
    February 17, 2017 at 7:51 am

Indeed, “His Word inspires hope in the midst of weakness.” May I have permission to quote you for my Facebook post on The Power of Hope? Love this truth. Blessings.

February 18, 2017 at 10:55 am

Absolutely Karen, but I don’t think that is my quote 🙂

SUSAN
    February 17, 2017 at 8:53 am

We are so dependent on His Grace – just where He wants us!!!

February 18, 2017 at 10:56 am

Yes ma’am. No place I’d rather be.

Tara
    February 17, 2017 at 9:51 am

John 1:1 friend! I’m in the 43 spot this week.

February 18, 2017 at 10:57 am

That scripture was rolling around in my head the whole time I was writing this post. Thanks for stopping by Tara.

Nichole Carrabbia
    February 17, 2017 at 9:55 am

This was beautiful and hauntingly true for me as well. Glad to know that I’m not alone in this struggle and that I found you on FMF today. Praying for you, sister and thanking you for the encouragement!

February 18, 2017 at 10:59 am

Thank you Nichole. So glad you were encouraged. I left a note on your post. Blessings!

Esther
    February 17, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Barbie, Thanks for honestly sharing your struggles and pointing to what helps us overcome, our Father’s Word and His grace. Blessings. Visiting from FMF.

February 18, 2017 at 11:00 am

Thank you Esther. Have a beautiful weekend.

June
    February 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I’ve been sitting with your post all day, Barbie. It resonates so strongly. The existing vs. living, the disappointments. The things of this world fall heavy on shoulders that were never meant to bear these burdens alone. Meeting with Him at dawn, checking in throughout the day, this is the rhythm I am trying to learn. Letting Him carry the burdens and guide my way. Thank you for the reminder that it all begins with Him. Blessings on your weekend, my friend.

February 18, 2017 at 11:01 am

Thank you June. I am trying to be okay with the “checking in throughout the day”. I still have some religious bounds to break. Love having community with you.

Kelly Blackwell
    February 18, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Barbie, your posts always fill me with energy! His word is definitely a balm to my heart when I need it most, but sometimes I just don’t recognize that need. I am so glad though that God meets me right where I am and reminds me with His love and grace.

If you could, I would appreciate prayer for some direction. My husband and I are both seeking the Lord on some clear direction. Thanks!

Have a wonderful week, Barbie. Thank you for the blessing.

February 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

I’d be honored to pray for you and your husband Kelly. Asking God to make His path clear to both of you and to bring a confirming Word to your heart and spirit. Blessings on this beautiful Sunday!