Abandon // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

I want to live a life of reckless abandon before the Lord, completely surrendered to His will and to His ways. While I have good intentions, more often than naught I live a pretty ordinary life. I am someone who struggles with spiritual disciplines, who struggles to accept God’s unconditional love and who struggles to reach for the high places.

It’s not that I don’t love God. Oh, I do! But over the last several years I’ve been stuck in a pit and although I’ve almost crawled out at times, I find myself settling in, getting comfortable with my less-than-extraordinary surroundings because it’s so much easier just to accept where I am than to fight.

Living a life of reckless abandon before the Lord is hard. It wages war with my own selfish desires. It’s messy and causes me to constantly take inventory of those places of my heart that need the resurrected Christ to come and bring hope and healing again.

In order to fully live in the light of the fullness that He desires of me, I must abandon the hurt, pain, depression, despair and my unsatisfied heart before His throne of grace.

To live a fully satisfied life, I must abandon my unsatisfied heart before His throne of grace. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

It’s hard to bring these things to the cross, to be crucified with Christ. I’ve become comfortable with the way that I am. These things which are not God’s best for me have become a part of me and sometimes I fear who I am without them.

Yet, I’ve become uncomfortable in my complacent living. So I will continue to fight. I will cry out to the One who hears me, who sees me and ask Him to pull me up again out of the pit of despair and set my feet upon a rock. I will set my face like flint and I will stand. I will continue to pursue a life of reckless abandon.

1. Great post, Barbie! Reminds me of David dancing before the Lord…something I think it would take me a whole lifetime to work up the nerve to do.

#2 at FMF this week.

2. jenn says:

You are a cool lady…way beyond the doll! I love the photograph with scripture about the mud. I pinned it. 🙂
    I hope you have a wonderful day…ordinary as it may seem…mom to mom I SO get this! I Iove that He is with us everywhere we go and as we write. <3 jenn FMF

3. SUSAN says:

Barb, it’s been too long stuck here… It is time for you to rise up, with sword in hand, and with Christ Jesus be a victor. I love you.

4. Mary Geisen says:

Oh to live with reckless abandon! Amen! God is preparing you for so much more. Let go and let Him do what He does best!

5. well written “set my face like flint and I WILL Stand” LOVE THIS. 🙂

6. Trudy says:

I will keep pursuing a life of abandon, flying free in Jesus, along with you, Barbie. It can sometimes be such a tedious, up-and-down journey, but someday we will be dancing in victory full-time! Thank you for being honest about your struggles and yet at the same time pointing us to the only HOPE. Have a blessed, restful weekend! Hugs!

7. Tara says:

Reminds me of the song “Live with Abandon” by the Newsboys. I shared the video on my post. I’m in the 41 spot this week.

8. Barbie, you describe the struggle so well! I, too, battle the urge to live in less than God has designed me to live in and for. It’s easy to settle for good enough rather than press in toward God’s best. I’m working toward living a life of full abandonment to Jesus too. It’s a process, isn’t it?

• Barbie says:

It is a process. It’s hard, yet rewarding when we let go and allow Him full reign over our hearts and minds. Thanks for stopping by Jeanne!

9. ~Karrilee~ says:

Ah yes… reckless abandon. I wrote the same phrase… because, of course! xoxo

10. June says:

That lukewarm place can be a dangerous place, but it’s clear your heart is set on Him, dear one. He will never leave us or abandon us. Blessings on your weekend!

11. Oh Barbie, this is so so true!
    ” it’s so much easier just to accept where I am than to fight.”
    I feel like I have allowed myself to accept where I am now even though I really know that I need to move on to something else God has planned.
    I totally agree too that we must be willing to abandon things that are holding us back to experience the fullness of the Lord. It could be anger, hurt, our own plans. I’m so glad that God is so gracious.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings – Kelly