27 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Purpose // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

I believe we have all asked the question more than once.

What is my purpose?

Growing up, I wanted to know that my life mattered, that I was placed on this earth for a reason and that I would leave a mark behind, something to be remembered by. I think these are desires everyone has.

For the last 20 years I walked in what I thought was my life’s purpose. I vowed I would remain in that role until the day I died. But God had other plans.

Despite the fact that it initially broke my heart, I have come to trust that God understands me more than I understand myself. And although what I was doing was good, God has greater things for me still. I’m not exactly sure what those things are. I’m now in the middle of my life and I continue to ask the questions. In many ways, I still wait for the answers.

I still want my life to matter and I still want to leave a mark. I am learning to rest in the fact that my life has meaning and purpose in the mundane. In my roles as wife, mother, homeschooler, employee and friend, there are opportunities every day for my life to have meaning. God gives glimpses of Himself every day, and those glimpses are meant to be shared with others. My purpose is to reflect Christ in all that I do.

My purpose is to reflect Christ in all that I do. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

I still long to do greater things. I want to self-publish more books. I want to do art again. I want to continue to encourage others through my writing. But what if the greater purpose that I desire is found among the ordinary, among the people I see every day (my family, friends and co-workers), and among the things I do each day, as mundane as they may be. I believe my purpose will be found as I continue living my life to the fullest, each and every day.

My purpose will be found as I continue to live life to the fullest every day. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

How about you, my friend? How are you finding your purpose among the mundane?

Linking up with the beautiful and talented writers of the Five Minute Friday community. Come join us!

Amy Carpenter
    March 2, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I struggle with knowing exactly what I want to do too! There’s so many things I want to claim as my purpose but it is as you say- our purpose is to praise God and live as a reflection of His love. I can think of nothing better, really!!

March 4, 2017 at 9:06 am

Thanks for stopping by Amy! Have a blessed weekend.

Joanne Viola
    March 3, 2017 at 6:41 am

Barbie, this is a beautiful post! I have been pondering the mundane as well this week 🙂 May our lives be a reflection of Christ in ALL that we do. Blessings!

PS – Absolutely stunning graphic!

March 4, 2017 at 9:06 am

Thank you so much Joanne. I’m not much of a photographer so I enjoy creating my images using free images from various places on the web.

Anita Ojeda
    March 3, 2017 at 7:40 am

I knew what you mean about being in between things. I cling to John 14:28 in the Message. That’s my goal.

March 4, 2017 at 9:07 am

That’s so good Anita. I’m supposed to be reading through The Message this year, and have gotten behind. Yes, the Father is my goal too! Blessings!

Carol E.
    March 3, 2017 at 9:06 am

Learning to lean into Him to see our purpose can be hard, but he is faithful. You are a light in a dark world, just keep shining His light and you’ve met your purpose!

March 4, 2017 at 9:08 am

Thanks so much Carol!

Christine Duncan
    March 3, 2017 at 9:16 am

Yes, these words today… they confirm something I’ve struggled with all week and now here is the truth again to remind me. “My purpose is to reflect Christ in all that I do…” Amen! Thankful for you today!

March 4, 2017 at 9:11 am

Thankful my post brought confirmation to your heart Christine. Have a blessed weekend.

Melissa
    March 3, 2017 at 9:24 am

“I believe my purpose is to love God, and be loved by Him. It’s to know God and be known by Him. Does anything else really matter?

Wow, that hit me like a ton of bricks!

March 4, 2017 at 9:13 am

Thanks for reading Melissa! That quote was inspired by Mike Bickle in his book, “The Seven Longings of The Human Heart.” Blessings!

Tara
    March 3, 2017 at 2:37 pm

So much THIS: “In the meantime, I believe my purpose is to love God, and be loved by Him. It’s to know God and be known by Him. Does anything else really matter?” I want to be a beacon of love in this world. I’m in the 6 spot this week.

March 4, 2017 at 9:13 am

Thanks Tara! You are a beacon of His love. Keep sharing is light through your words!

Lea
    March 3, 2017 at 4:43 pm

I think most of us want to “leave our mark” and at 65 years of age, I think about that daily. Good to reconnect with you today.

March 4, 2017 at 9:14 am

So glad you stopped by Lea! Enjoy your weekend.

BettieG
    March 4, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Yes! This is what it all boils down to, isn’t it? “My purpose is to reflect Christ in all that I do.” Even when I fail, my desire still returns to reflect HIM in everything. Thanks for these good words today!

March 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by BettieG. I look forward to visiting your blog soon.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    March 4, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Great post, Barbie. You surely fulfill that purpose through your writing here; I’m sure you’ve helped many, many people see God’s love and glory.

My life is now absent so many of the things I thought were my purpose, but I’ve found that underlying every aspiration was something deeper, the desire to give hope to others, even when it seems lost to me.

I’ll just do my best.

31 at FMF this week.

Great post, and I can SO relate!

Illness has forced the need for rest upon me, when before I had been active from waking to grudging sleep. I resented it for a long time, until I realized that rest was working on me in a constructive way, changing my outlook and priorities.

I still push as hard as I can when I can, but the times I can’t, I no longer hold in loathing.

#1 at FMF this week.

March 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Andrew, you inspire me greatly, the way you consistently offer hope and encouragement to others although your own need is so great. I continue to pray for you my friend.

Kelly Blackwell
    March 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I so enjoyed your post, Barbie. It is a wonderful reminder really to follow that saying “Bloom where you are planted.” I believe that there is so extraordinary opportunity even in the ordinary. It doesn’t keeps us from the wonder and doubt, but day by day I God leads and reveals.

Don’t you think this Friday’s prompt was very timely? It seems we all have been really able to run with it. I know it struck a chord with me.

Have a blessed week!

March 5, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I’ve read so many great responses to this prompt. Purpose is definately something that everyone is searching for at some level. Thanks for stopping by Kelly.

Nichole Carrabbia
    March 5, 2017 at 1:10 am

“My purpose is to reflect Christ in all that I do.” Wow. That was gorgeous. So glad I stopped by and read your blog today!!

March 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for stopping by Nichole!

Sarah Geringer
    March 5, 2017 at 4:55 am

Your honest heart is so beautiful, Barbie! One of my favorite reads from this week’s #fmf. I’m #22 this week. Blessings to you!

Jeanne Takenaka
    March 6, 2017 at 12:27 pm

When my oldest was an infant, I had this conversation with a friend a few years older than myself. She reminded me that our first purpose is to Love God. And right after that, it’s to love others. I think we fulfill our purpose well when we do, as you explained, and we live our lives to the fullest—loving God and others—even in the mundane. Beautiful post!

March 6, 2017 at 8:53 pm