28 In Faith/ Glimpses

Faith Lessons // Glimpses

I’ve been reflecting a lot lately on faith, and how faith is such a necessary component to the Christian life. After all, the Bible does say that without faith it is impossible to please God.

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

I believe God knows that there will be seasons in our lives were we will struggle to hold on to faith, to keep hope alive in the midst of a hard place. Even though we are exhorted to hold onto hope without wavering, I believe God understands our humanness.

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. (Hebrews 10:23)

I’ve been reflecting on my faith struggle lately. There have been so many times in this season where I’ve allowed myself to step out of faith and in doing so I’ve moved into fear, unbelief and wondered if those things I’ve been so earnestly praying for would ever come to pass.

This human shell is weak. It constantly cries, “Lord, I believe”, but with the same breath it also cries “Help my unbelief”. How odd it is that one can voice an assurance of faith in God, yet with the same breath cry out for God to help them hang on to their belief.

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24)

My daughter sent my this picture of my 2 year old grandson at the beach last week. I was immediately reminded of how large the mountains in my life seem, and how small I appear against their enormity. But I was also stricken with the assurance of my grandson’s steps. The way He holds onto his little car spoke to me of the way we hold onto the small, seemingly insignificant things in our life. God cares about those things too. The mountain next to him is so large, but He’s not afraid to walk beside it, to continue down the path of life with joy.

I’ve been reminded once again of how I must approach God with child-like faith, the kind of faith that believes all things. God is so much bigger than any mountain we will ever face in life.

I must approach God with child-like faith, the kind of faith that believes all things.… Click To Tweet

I want to come to a place in this season of my life where I know, understand and believe that God is really bigger than.

He is bigger than my financial lack.
He is bigger than any illness, known or unknown.
He is bigger than a marriage that needs resurrecting.
He is bigger then the chaos that threatens to overwhelm me.
He is bigger than a heart that is weary and broken.

Even though the enormity of the battles I face may be real, I do not have to fear what lies ahead. I can walk with a quiet self-assurance because I know that He is working all things together for good.

*If you would lift my husband up this week. On Wednesday we will receive the results of the biopsy they took from the supposed ulcer they found last week.

Are you facing a large mountain in your life? Please let me know how I can pray for you.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #401-410

401. Purple flowers amidst the weeds in my backyard.
402. Just 7 weeks until grandson #2 arrives!
403. Coconut oil that helps my itchy skin.
404. God is bigger than my mountains!
405. Child-like faith.
406. Strawberries and vanilla ice cream.
407. Row-row-row Your Boat with my grandson.
408. Three white Lilies in my front yard that remind me of His death and resurrection.
409. He is risen!
410. While I was yet in sin, Christ died for me.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

Lesley
    April 17, 2017 at 2:14 am

I love the picture of your grandson and the lessons you draw from it. So important to remember that God is bigger than any mountain we face. Praying for you and your husband as you wait for the results.

April 20, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Thank you Lesley.

Lois | Live Nourished
    April 17, 2017 at 2:36 am

Beautiful (and true) reflections, Barbie.
    Reminds me of the Louie Giglio DVD “How Great Is Our God”… really reminds us how small we are and how big and powerful God is. (worth checking out if you’ve never seen it – it always encourages me when I’m in the season that you’re in right now).
    Praying about your husband’s test results.

April 20, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much Lois. I will be checking out that DVD for sure.

Bev @ Walking Well With God
    April 17, 2017 at 3:04 am

Barbie,
    Like you, I wonder how at one moment I can have such great faith, but in the next moment be doubting again? I am constantly saying,” Lord I believe. Help my unbelief.” Thank you for reminding me of having childlike faith and God’s promise that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed we can move mountains. There’s no such thing as “perfect” faith – at least not on this side of Heaven. I could use prayer for the strained relationship with my adult daughter….praying for your husband and for a good result from the biopsy!
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

April 20, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Bev, I am lifting up your relationship with your daughter. That must be so hard. But asking God to bring healing and restoration. Have a blessed weekend.

jodie filogomo
    April 17, 2017 at 5:53 am

I love how looking at a photo can remind us of the bigger things in life!!
    Beautiful post, Barbie!
    Jodie

April 20, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Thanks Jodie!

Sarah Geringer
    April 17, 2017 at 6:04 am

Your photo and description were lovely, Barbie. You and your husband will be in my prayers this week. Blessings to you!

April 20, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Thank you Sarah! Have a beautiful weekend.

Amy Jung
    April 17, 2017 at 7:56 am

Praying for grace for whatever your family must face this week! I love the picture and your thoughts that go with it. The Lord gives us so many illustrations for our faith through nature!

April 20, 2017 at 7:16 pm

I love when God speaks to me through the things in my own life. Blessings!

Gayl
    April 17, 2017 at 9:48 am

Saying a prayer for your husband now, Barbie. I hope the news is favorable. I was struck by something you mentioned in your post and realized the truth of it, that when we step out of faith we allow fear to creep in. I know I sometimes think the worst and begin to worry when I take my eyes off God. Sometimes it’s a real struggle to trust and push away the anxiety, but I remind myself that He is with me. He will come through. Thanks for sharing your heart in this.

Blessings to you!

April 20, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for your prayers Gayl! Blessings for a beautiful weekend.

Lisa notes
    April 17, 2017 at 11:47 am

Love that picture of your grandson! Such a great lesson here for all of us. I keep reminding myself of late that whatever my problems are, God is bigger. Always bigger. Blessings to you, Barbie!

April 20, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Yes, He is so much bigger than anything we are facing, or ever will face. Have a lovely weekend Lisa.

Trudy
    April 17, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I love the photo of your grandson and the spiritual meaning in it, Barbie. Thank you for the encouraging reminder that God is bigger than any of our mountains and He works all things to our good. Sometimes my weary heart has a hard time to hang onto these truths. I pray your husband’s biopsy will turn out benign, and God will give you strength for each day. Love and hugs!

April 20, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Thank you Trudy! You are a blessing.

Noreen
    April 17, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Barbie, Spring Blessings to you. I love catching up with you here. The picture of your grandson is so precious as well as the sentiment-in fact, it is one of my favorite things to meditate on-Bethel music has a song It Is Well-and when I’ve faced trials I always sing it.
    Joy to you!
    Noreen

April 20, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE Bethel music. Everything they sing ministers to my heart. Thanks for stopping by Noreen!

Ruth
    April 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I love your comparisons of the picture of your grandson with the struggles of our lives! Great post! 🙂

April 20, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Thank you Ruth. Have a beautiful weekend.

Mary Geisen
    April 18, 2017 at 5:47 am

I love the picture of your grandson and how one small thing like a photo can teach us so much about the bigness of our God. You have persevered well in the last few years and even when you feel you struggle you point us to Jesus through your words.

I am praying for you and your husband. Love you friend!

April 20, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Thank you Mary. I was wondering the other day if these last few years of my writing were encouraging. I am thankful to hear my words still point to Jesus, even through hard places.

June
    April 18, 2017 at 3:28 pm

What a sweet picture, Barbie, and such an inspiring message from Jesus to your heart. I will be praying for the test results. Now that we’re past the 18th, I pray things will calm down for you a bit 🙂 Have a blessed week, my friend.

April 20, 2017 at 7:21 pm

I survived. I am sure it will take a week or so to get my energy up. Lots of “clean up” work to do at the office, but thankful at least this deadline is behind us now. Blessings!

Lux G.
    April 19, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Amen. I think having faith is really becoming like a child. Believing and trusting in the unbelievable.

April 20, 2017 at 7:22 pm

So true Lux! So glad you stopped by.