Standing In The Middle

Today I was reminded of God’s presence in my life. Not just when I am sitting still and listening for His voice. But He is with me every moment of every day.

This verse reminds me of how God is always near.

The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.
(Zephaniah 3:17)

What struck me most about this verse was the meaning of the word, “midst”:

midst: in the middle of. the middle point or part.

I’ve felt as if my life has been stuck between one place and another for the last few years. Although life continues to unfold around me, in many ways I feel as if I’m standing in the middle of what once was, and what could be.

In order to move from the middle forward, a step must be taken. And although there are many steps I could be taking towards dreams that lay buried deep within my heart, I choose to remain here, in the middle. For me, it’s a place of rest and rejuvenation. It’s a place of faith and surrender. It’s a place of safety until He moves me forward.

The middle has become a place of safety until He moves me forward. #HeartEncouragement Click To Tweet

I love the thought of God being present in the middle parts of my life. He desires to show Himself strong in those “in-between” places. Those can often be hard places, places of struggle and uncertainty; places of hope and despair; places of faith and courage. But He promises to remain there in the middle with us until we have the strength to move forward.

I don’t know about you, but some days I’m not sure I want to leave this middle place. I’ve settled in to my life as I know it now. It hasn’t been easy, but I am learning to appreciate the place where He has me. The middle has become a cozy place of rest between the shadows of the past and the promise of the future.

The middle is a cozy place of rest between the shadows of the past and the promise of the future. #HeartEncouragement Click To Tweet

How about you? Are you hunkered down in the middle of life somewhere? Know that God is with you.

Linking up for the first time with the beautiful community over at Crystal’s place today.

1. Michelle says:

I find the “middle” to be a place a peace and comfort as well. Sometimes I wonder if this is where I am meant to stay. And that would be totally okay with me 🙂

2. Susan Shipe says:

The “middle” is exactly where HE wants you right now. Listen to this great quote I heard this morning: “Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery!” So, yes, the middle is good…FOR NOW! xo

3. I love your picture of the middle, Barbie, as a place of rest and safety. A beautiful reminder to embrace the right now life instead of feeling restless to move on. Sweet blessings!

4. Mary Geisen says:

I, too, have spent the last few years in he middle place. Between the what was and the what will be. God is faithful in all our seasons. You are where you need to be and god will you move you forward in his timing.

5. June says:

Sweet friend, you’ve experienced a lot of losses over the past few years. Grief is a process and it looks different for all of us. I’m thankful that you are now in a place of rest. May God use this time to strengthen and encourage you for the next part of your journey! Blessings on your weekend!

6. Anita Ojeda says:

What a beautiful promise. I have felt ‘in the middle’ many times, and that’s often when I feel the closest to God because I . just. don’t. know. what’s. going. on. But he does. I’ve learned to rest in that.

• Barbie says:

I’m so thankful He knows the end from the beginning. We can rest safely in His arms. Have a blessed week.

7. Lux G. says:

I’m in the middle. I look forward to the future full of hope and faith.

8. Great perspective! The middle can be a good place, even a blessed place of rest and contentment. I feel God in my midst or middle as well, abiding with Him and depending on Him to move me when and if He sees fit. He really convicted me at the end of last year to cease striving or working so hard and abide in Him more. I have enjoyed this year so much more because of that. Just a peaceful pace and trustful embrace is how I would describe it. His convictions shed light on problems we don’t even realize we have. Lol Thanks for sharing this insightful post