7 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Worth // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

I haven’t written a Five Minute Friday post for several weeks. Life has a way of running ahead of you, and I’ve been busy trying to catch up. But I miss this community of grace-filled and beautiful women. There are no lack of beautiful words to be read, always a take-a-way every time I come.

God has a way of smacking you right upside the head with a word that will challenge you in your own life.

Worth: deserving to be treated or regarded in the way specified.

I’ve wondered, especially this past year, if my words mean anything. I admit, I’ve been absent in the kind of writing that would challenge and encourage others. I share my weekly gratitude on Mondays, and I host a link up that I love, but for the most part this space has been filled with homeschool posts and homeschool product reviews. Not the kind of writing that others come to be encouraged and inspired by.

I often ask myself where the writer in me went, and I answer, “But God, what if I’m really not a writer? What if I am simply a girl who loves to share her words, no matter the subject matter. What if I am a girl who wants to invite others into her messy, imperfect, real life to get a glimpse of the real me?”

I struggle with the label of writer. I shy away from the thought that my words have any real impact on the life of another. But the beautiful thing is that God has breathed on the words in this space and brought freedom, healing, hope and encouragement to others at one time or another. Without the life-giving breath of God, my words have no real value.

Without the life-giving breath of God, my words have no real value. #fmfparty Click To Tweet

Just the other day I was pondering this thought, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s okay that I am uncomfortable labeling myself as a writer. Sure, I wrote a book, but that does not make me a writer. A writer strives to find time to perfect her craft. She works at it continuously, bringing forth words worthy of reading and worthy of sharing. I am okay with being a simple, life style blogger who loves to share my heart and the beautiful chaos of my life with others.

Does that kind of writing have meaning in the big world of blogging? If I am not regarded among the more esteemed and more popular bloggers and writers that I know, will my words still have worth and value?

I love this space. I love you. I love Jesus and strive to glorify Him whether I’m sharing my gratitudes, sharing product reviews or taking you on a walk through my world.

Jesus gives me the strength and ability to continue to write. I am grateful to be here to share my musings and ponderings with you. Perhaps one day soon I’ll run hard after that writer girl in me again.

Thank you for being here friends. Head on over to the Five Minute Friday blog for more thoughts on the words “Worth”.

Vernette
    June 17, 2017 at 4:06 am

I think it’s no coincidence that we are neighbours this week. I started reading and your words “We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking.” made me stop and think about just how much I strive for perfection in my own writing and that sometimes I overthink it so I don’t even hit publish or write. The struggle is real and you could not have put it more eloquently.

Melanie (Wren)
    June 17, 2017 at 6:25 am

Loved your words, dear Barbie! I have struggled myself with those labels or definitions. Am I a blogger or a writer? Or both?

I love how you put to words the feelings that surely many besides the two of us have experienced. What a lovely read.

Thank you!

Gayl
    June 17, 2017 at 10:04 am

Beautiful words, Barbie. And, yes, I know you have encouraged many with your words, including me. Sometimes we think our words don’t carry much weight, but God can take our meager offerings and use them to bless others and bring glory to Him.

Your writing is needed. Don’t ever stop! 🙂

Blessings to you, dear sister!

Lisa @ NatureImmerse
    June 17, 2017 at 6:54 pm

When we think of worth, we tend to think first in terms of buying things and money – what is this worth? How much will it cost? Yet, in these turbulent times, it is the worth of people which should be our first concern. As Christ told us, over and over, loving others is a must. Too often, hate and cruelty to others predominates. Fear and ignorance push people to racist acts. The news is full of killings and destruction all over the world..
    If everyone could only see that every person has worth, is valuable, is a child of God, LOVE would dominate, not hate. Yes, we are all worth so much. We need to acknowledge our own worth and celebrate the worth of everyone we meet. We may never know when we meet Jesus.

Tara
    June 17, 2017 at 7:10 pm

We love you! So much THIS: “. But the beautiful thing is that God has breathed on the words in this space and brought freedom, healing, hope and encouragement to others at one time or another. Without the life-giving breath of God, my words have no real value.” I’m in the 72 spot this week.

Cindi Summerlin
    June 18, 2017 at 10:53 am

You are all of the above! I think that no matter what labels we or others place on us, God uses us to share His love for us and others.

Liz
    June 19, 2017 at 3:47 pm

You are writing from your heart, which is where Christ shines through. That is what matters most! And you do it well. Only you can write what you have in your heart. There is no formula for being a perfect writer. It’s not striving that resonates with the Spirit, it’s receiving and sharing. Galatians 3 talks about since we weren’t smart or strong enough to be the ones to begin our heavenly gifts, how could we think we could perfect them? This has been a message I need to hear too! So yes, your impact reaches farther than you can imagine.