15 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Collect // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

As a little girl, I collected Barbie Dolls. My bed also was not complete without my family of stuffed animals that lined the edges of my bed. As I grew up, I’ve collected a few different things, none of which I still collect today:

Teaspoons
Tea cups
Pretty stationary
Beanie Babies
Sea Shells

Life is busy and money is short so I don’t have the time or resources to collect many things anymore. These days, my focus is on collecting the beauty that lies amidst the rubble in my life, as well as capturing the moments that are fleeting. Every day I am given beautiful memories to tuck away and bring out when I need to remember that God is good. My collection of “God moments” among the bittersweet and beautiful in my life are a testimony to the love, grace and forgiveness of a God whose hand is never too short.

You may not find me at the local thrift shop collecting another spoon or tea cup, but you will find me intentionally seeking out beauty in every aspect of my life and collecting the love, laughter and memories that remind me of His presence every day.

What do you collect that reminds you of God’s presence in your life?

Tara
    July 20, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I collect nativity scenes. I keep one out all year round to remind me that we shouldn’t celebrate Jesus one day a year but every day of the year. And so much THIS: “. These days, my focus is on collecting the beauty that lies amidst the rubble in my life, as well as capturing the moments that are fleeting.” I’m in the 3 spot this week.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    July 20, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Collecting the beauty that lies in the rubble of life.

Yeah. Barbie, me too. You really touched my heart with that.

#1 at FMF this week.

Debby
    July 21, 2017 at 4:36 am

I’m with you Barbie. What can be better than collecting beauty and sharing our collection? I was quite the Barbie doll girl too. One of our employees, a couple of years older than me, still collects them. Fun!

Debbie Putman
    July 21, 2017 at 9:33 am

Like you, I collect God’s beauty in my life. That is the very best.

June
    July 21, 2017 at 11:03 am

Like Tara, I collect nativities. I like her idea of keeping one out all year round as a reminder to celebrate Jesus every day. Being with Him in His word every day is the best “collection” I can think of. Thanks for sharing His beauty with us today, friend!

Julie Dibble
    July 21, 2017 at 11:08 am

Hi Barbie, I am visiting from the lovely Five Minute Friday Community. I can relate to your life changing focus, less about things and more about seeking His beauty, sometimes well-hidden in this world.

Barbara London
    July 21, 2017 at 11:35 am

Love it Barbie! I do have collections…but many of what I collect are things I have had for a while. Though most of my friends and family KNOW I love turtles, so they are always adding something to my collection. I didn’t even add the bags and pins and jewelry I have with a turtle on it!! I love that you collect “God moments”. I LOVE God moments and usually write them in my journal!

Thank you for sharing your collections!!

Jeannie Prinsen
    July 21, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I love what you’ve said here, Barbie. Collecting things that will truly last — that is the best kind of collection.

Marie
    July 21, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I like this idea of “God Moments!” You’ve inspired me. I’m going to take some time before I go to sleep tonight, look back over my day and ask the Lord to show me where He was moving, where He was present.

Holly
    July 21, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I love this idea of collecting beauty! There’s so much in this world to be grateful for! It’s nice to have these memories tucked in our minds to pull out on tough days ๐Ÿ™‚ My sister and my mom were also avid Beanie Baby collectors when I was a kid ๐Ÿ˜‰

Susan Shipe
    July 22, 2017 at 3:56 am

AMEN to this.

annette @ A net in Time
    July 22, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Oh.. I like how you put that “Collecting God moments”… very nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Andrea Stunz
    July 23, 2017 at 6:18 am

Love your reflections! I collect many things that tie to a memory or experience. I collect photos and I have a cool collection of global and city Starbucks mugs of places I’ve visited or lived. I’ve tried, in my older years, to scale back on my collections. I want to lighten the load and I don’t want my kids to have to deal with a huge mess someday. ……. A friend who used to live in a particularly harsh city in India told me once that she struggled to find beauty there. Ultimately, she discovered beauty in the faces of the people. I have carried this God moment with me for years now for His beauty is in every face we meet. Beauty is everywhere because God is everywhere. May we never cease to look for it/Him. #fmfparty

Diana
    July 23, 2017 at 3:48 pm

I collect dirt under my fingernails as I lovingly plant and tend the gardens I’ve done for my kids at their homes. I collect dust bunnies from under their furniture and the corners of their rooms, and I collect stray pieces of clothing that never made it to the washer, because I know how those things can get away from you. I collect all the food remains on their dishes from meals I happily made for them because I know that sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day for them to handle everything. I collect hugs and kisses and tears and laughter and love from the grandkids because, hey, that’s what a gramma does.

Yeah, I used to collect Barbies and sewing thimbles and pretty rocks… but I like that other stuff much better now!

Hugs and blessings for a wonderful week, Barbie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Stephanie Thompson
    July 27, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Barbie, I resonate with your Barbie collection! Many fond memories are stored in my mind of countless hours creating story lines for their lives. “My collection of โ€œGod momentsโ€ among the bittersweet and beautiful in my life are a testimony to the love, grace and forgiveness of a God whose hand is never too short.” beautiful! My family has begun creating Ebenezers to remind us of God’s faithfulness during particularly challenging seasons of life. It’s a growing collection.