18 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Play // Five Minute Friday

Thrilled to be writing among the beautiful Five Minute Friday community. This is where we write for just five minutes, on a word prompt. We don’t worry about perfection or making it just right, but rather allow the words to flow freely without over thinking. If you’ve never written for the Five Minute Friday, come join us. You will be glad you did!

Summer brings long days of sunshine and warm nights. When I was a child, I lived for nights of Kick the Can, Hide N Go Seek, Hopscotch, Jump Rope and bike riding. I would play outside with friends for hours until I heard the voice of my mother telling me it was time to come in.

Life today doesn’t afford me a lot of play time, or so it seems. My days are spent working and my nights are filled with cooking, cleaning, running the kids here and there and taking care of my family. But if I were to allow myself time to play outside on a warm summer night, here are some things I imagine I would do:

fly a kite
run through the sprinklers
dip my toes in the creek
chase a fire fly
eat s’mores by the fire
sleep under the stars
ride a ferris wheel
catch a movie at the drive in theatre
worship around the camp fire
walk on the beach at sunset

How do you like to play on a warm summer night?

How do you like to play on a warm summer night? #fmfparty Click To Tweet

Tara
    July 6, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I have such fond childhood memories of playing outside. And the things you dream of doing, I want to do some of them too. I’ve actually gotten to do a few of them this summer; a campfire, making s’mores, dipping my toes in water, etc.

July 8, 2017 at 5:36 pm

I have such fond memories of those times Tara. Thanks for stopping by.

annette @ A net in Time
    July 6, 2017 at 9:14 pm

how do i play on a warm summer night? Go for a bike ride I do! 🙂

July 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I rode a bike a lot as a child. I haven’t been on a bike in years. Thanks for sharing Annette!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    July 6, 2017 at 10:00 pm

I used to play golf, and particularly enjoyed playing at the end of the day, when twilight made deep shadows in the trees and the grass had a golden glow under the sunset sky.

It was a holy time.

#2 at FMF this week.

July 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm

My husband use to enjoy a good round of golf. I’ve been praying for you this week Andrew and will continue.

Sarah Geringer
    July 7, 2017 at 3:50 am

Love this, Barbie! I can so relate. Not much time to play in my life either, and I’d be happy to choose a few activities on your list, if I could! #14 at FMF this week.

July 8, 2017 at 5:38 pm

I think we both need to take more time to play Sarah! I hope you’re enjoying your weekend.

Debbie Putman
    July 7, 2017 at 8:10 am

Loved you list, especially worship around the campfire. It brings back memories of Girl Scout camping trips and the pure joy of singing with friends.

July 8, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Thank you for stopping by Debbie!

Lisa Brittain
    July 7, 2017 at 9:05 am

{play} stay outside until dark. late night dinners on the patio. watermelon and popsicles in the cul de sac. beach walks. riding bikes barefoot. walks with friends. husband. sons and parents. dogs. neighbors. friends and family. warmth on the face. gardening. flowers. vegetables and fruit.

July 8, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Oh yes! I love your list Lisa!

June
    July 7, 2017 at 10:57 am

Those all sound so fun, Barbie! I loved playing along the creek as a kid. And catching cat fish after dark when we visited our friends in the Adirondack mtns of New York state. Flying a kite would be fun and these breezy days we’ve had would be perfect for it! I think we all need to play more! Have a blessed week, friend!

July 8, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Yes we do. If only there were time enough in the day for good play. Blessings!

Bethany Boring
    July 8, 2017 at 2:06 pm

I think you listed all of my faves! Best new tradition for us has been making homemade ice-cream 🙂

July 8, 2017 at 5:43 pm

We love homemade ice cream! Thanks for stopping by Bethany!

Anita Ojeda
    July 10, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I’m in Alaska this summer (going on week 5, I have 10 days left), and I find myself sitting around a campfire at 10 at night looking for shade because between the fire and the sun, it’s a little hot ;). Other days have been filled with constant drizzle, and in the evenings we play Spite and Malice (I remember the Kick the Can days, though!).

July 14, 2017 at 9:49 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Alaska! I’ll have to look up Spite and Malice. Sounds fun!