Enjoy Life More // Glimpses

My devotional reading today was about enjoying life more. When we embrace the awe and wonder of each new day, we proclaim our faith and trust in God.

When we embrace the awe and wonder of each new day, we proclaim our faith and trust in God. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Enjoying life has been a goal of mine, right along side of looking for beauty among the mundane. I don’t want to walk through life with a sour look on my face. I want to approach each new day for the gift that it is and truly live life to the fullest.

It’s hard for me sometimes to get out of my box of “work, clean, kids, repeat”. I sometimes get stuck in a rut, in my day-to-day routine and forget to find the joy that is truly available to me in every day living. To be honest, I sometimes think other people lead so much more glamorous lives than my own. I see their lives unfold on social media and I often fall into the “comparison” trap. But I know that no one’s life is perfect. And though there may appear to be laughter, love and beauty on the surface, that doesn’t mean there isn’t pain underneath. And perhaps their lives are really as perfect as they portray. Who am I to judge?

The enemy comes to kill, steal and destroy. He would like nothing better than to rob us of the joy that is ours in Christ. For me, it starts with boredom, feeling stuck, comparison, complacency. Soon it leads to feelings of hopelessness and questioning, “Is this all there really is to life?”

Today’s devotional was a reminder from the Lord that I have a good life. It is a life worthy of enjoying. It may be routine and there may not be much happening in the day-to-day, but it’s all about how I choose to embrace every moment that is given to me. Life is beautiful. Enjoy the ride!

Life is beautiful. Enjoy the ride! #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

*image credit

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #571-580

571. Financial blessings from friends for our anniversary get away.
572. My new Happy Planner.
573. Our new-to-us dining table is finished.
574. My Pioneer Woman pitcher to hold flowers on my table.
575. Dinner out with the hubby.
576. Lunch, coffee, shopping and laughter with friends.
577. Little reminders of His love.
578. Soft serve ice cream.
579. Free Kindle downloads.
580. Jesus loves me this I know.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

1. Lesley says:

Thanks for this reminder to embrace every day and make the most of it. It makes such a difference to start the day with that attitude.

• Barbie says:

Some days it’s easy, others are a struggle. But I’m learning to embrace every day and find the beauty underneath the surface.

2. I always enjoy (and smile over) your gratitude list. It truly is the little things that bring joy to our hearts.

3. Barbie,
    Some days it gets really hard to push the enemy out (the comparison trap – his favorite) and simply enjoy what God has put on our plate. Good for you, choosing to enjoy and take pleasure in the blessings He gives between loads of laundry. Hope you have a good week!
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

4. You are absolutely right when you speak of not knowing what pain others might be harboring. I was recently told by a close friend that people have told her they are intimidated by how I decorate my home and have said they could never have me over to their houses. They’ve also said they were intimidated because we were leaders in the church. I was so surprised, especially because I am such a regular person who happens to love creating beauty. My home is my canvas. I was also surprised because we’ve shared openly about the pain we’ve been through in our marriage. We haven’t got it all together just because we’ve come out on the other side. New things always arise. Hard seasons that no one knows about as we go through them and are sometimes almost too painful to bear. One day they will be a part of our story.

The thief STILL comes to steal, kill, and destroy and unfortunately he won’t give up until he’s finished.

Praying God’s blessings over you and your family Barbie and thankful for you because you always remember to find things in the every day to be thankful for. You are a good example even in the midst of trials and I appreciate you so much.
    Hugs,
    Patti

• Barbie says:

I have to admit that I have a hard time having people over to my home. It’s something that I need to get better at, something I continually work on. I remember when I was in leadership many also thought I was unapproachable. We really never can understand what someone is going through. Thanks for stopping by and for all of your support and encouragement.

5. Feeling gratitude is truly a gift from God. Even through our struggles we are so blessed…
    XOXO
    Jodie

6. Lisa notes says:

Yes, even in the routine, I, too, want to “approach each new day for the gift that it is and truly live life to the fullest.” Today is always a great day for this. Thanks, Barbie!

• Barbie says:

It’s so true. I want to get up every morning and immediately thank God for the new day and all of the beautiful possibilities it holds.

7. Barbara H. says:

This is my first time linking up with you! I was just reading this morning of someone saying that life is about 80% wait and 20 % hurry. I’d modify that to maybe 90% mundane and 10% excitement – and usually after a period of excitement, good or bad, I’m more than ready to get back to the mundane, ha! I love your list at the end – we so often overlook those little everyday blessings if we don’t acknowledge them like that.

• Barbie says:

Barbara, I am so glad to have you here at the #glimpses community. I hope you will stop by and link up again. I look forward to reading your post.

8. I try to remember that even our struggles are filtered through His loving hands, but some days are just harder. It’s so good to do what you do … focusing on thankfulness! Thanks for hosting again this week, Barbie.

9. June says:

Comparison is one of the enemy’s favorite traps! Whether we’re looking at how good someone else has it, or how bad it doesn’t really matter. What I remind myself I need to look at is Jesus and what He did for me on the cross. No matter how bad or good things are going in my life, I have eternal life with Him. I want to always be blown away by that truth! Blessings on your week, my friend!

• Barbie says:

Your words are also so full of wisdom and nuggets for me to chew on. Thank you for always pointing me in the direction of Jesus. Hugs!

10. BettieG says:

Thank you for sharing these thoughts from your Devotional. Taking the time to find HIS Glimpses of Beauty, as you do every week here, brings the focus around to the right direction. And it’s there in those glimpses that we can truly see how much of worth our days do contain! I love reading your list, and joining in with you to say that LIFE is such a gift from Him. Blessings to you!

11. Oh, Barbie! I get caught in the mundane routine also! What a great reminder to find beauty in the everyday!