28 In Glimpses

Exhaustion, Depression and Self Care // Glimpses Link Up

I hit a wall today. I’ve been going full steam ahead for a week or so and today I just finally stopped. Not physically, although my body is tired and I can’t seem to do anything. It was more emotional, finding myself argumentative with family, near tears and just sad about a lot of things.

I know a lot of this is manifesting because I haven’t been getting proper sleep, nor have I taken much needed time to recharge, refocus and refuel.  I have no one to blame for the staying up late part but myself.  My kids go to bed around 11PM and then I choose to sit up (sometimes with my husband, sometimes without him) and watch Netflix.  What is it about losing yourself in a movie or television show that is so soothing to the mind?  I know I need to get to bed earlier, like the same time my kids do but I don’t.  Lack of sleep has proven to play a huge role in my mindset and allowing depression to take over.  I know that if I truly want to feel better, I need to get proper sleep.

Self care is hard for me.  There is always something or someone pulling on me for time and attention. I love my family but it’s constant.  I love my job and I work hard and am thankful I get to leave work at the office.  I love the ministry I have to encourage other bloggers and even help them with design and editing, but it takes time.

I’m noticing this week that my body needs rest and my mind needs to refocus on what is important. I’m still only blogging about once a week, which is why I’ve decided not to write for the #write31days challenge in October.  I may sneak in a post or two using the word prompts for the free writes, but I don’t have it in me to sit and schedule posts or craft words when my mind is so full but empty at the same time.

It’s so important to take time out to care for myself, whether that’s watching a movie (at an appropriate hour), treating myself to a cup of coffee, putting on my headphones and escaping in my favorite worship CD, going for a walk, chatting with my best friend on the phone, being creative — whatever it is, I have to make time for me.

My life ebbs and flows with both good and bad.  Some days I’m up, others I’m down.  But no matter what, I choose to give Him praise.  I know He’s busy behind the scenes bringing about those things that I cannot see.

My life ebbs and flows with both good and bad. Some days I'm up, others I'm down. But no matter what, I choose to give Him praise. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Will you be praying for me on Tuesday? I have a surgery consultation regarding my gallbladder. At this point, I am pretty sure I’ve decided to have the surgery, just need to get all of the details, etc.

Thank you for being here.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #631-640

631.  Pretty rocks hidden in dirt.
632.  Mint foot rub.
633.  His kindness leads me to repentance.
634.  A job prospect for my husband.
635.  Mocha ice cream.
636.  He bears our burdens.
637.  The opportunity to help other bloggers.
638.  A Costco shopping date with the hubby.
639.  Fresh strawberries over ice cream
640.  A new-to-use stove to replace the broken one, thanks to our landlord.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

Lesley
    September 25, 2017 at 12:24 am

It is inportant to take care of ourselves but definitely not always easy. Sometimes I worry that it’s selfish but really when we’re looking after ourselves we have more to offer to others. Praying for you in finding this balance, and also for your consultation on Tuesday.

September 26, 2017 at 8:50 pm

So true Lesley. The more we take the time to care for ourselves, the more we can pour into others. Blessings!

Bev @ Walking Well With God
    September 25, 2017 at 2:17 am

Barbie,
    Good for you for choosing self-care over pushing forward through exhaustion. Resting is not a luxury, it’s a necessity. Praying for you regarding your surgery. I have surgery this am…so if you’d pray for me too, I’d appreciate it.
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

September 26, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Bev, I peaked in this morning and saw your comment and said a prayer for you. I hope all went well with your surgery.

Michele Morin
    September 25, 2017 at 4:26 am

So important to take care of this body God has given — I need the reminder, too, Barbie. Keep us posted on the gall bladder . . .

September 26, 2017 at 8:52 pm

So true. We need healthy temples for God to abide. Blessings!

Debby
    September 25, 2017 at 4:29 am

I’m better in some areas of self-care but the physical health kind? Not as much. I like your weekly list of glimpses. It helps me recognize the things I often take for granted.

September 26, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I’ve enjoyed sharing my glimpses and glad you are blessed. Thank you for being here.

Barbara H.
    September 25, 2017 at 5:14 am

It’s hard for me to go to bed right when the kids do, too. I like having that quiet time to unwind for a bit. But I have discovered rest is essential to physical, emotional, and even spiritual health. It’s a struggle to find the right balance. Praying for you.

September 26, 2017 at 8:53 pm

It really is hard. My kids are teens and adults and they stay up late. Sometimes I sneak into bed with my Kindle and watch/read until I get sleeping. At least I’m laying down 🙂

jodie filogomo
    September 25, 2017 at 5:15 am

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one that struggles with this Barbie. Sending you prayers for your consult.
    XOXO
    Jodie

September 26, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Jodie!

Donna Reidland
    September 25, 2017 at 7:00 am

I’m so sorry you’ve had a tough week, Barbie! I tend to push myself, too, and find I’m not good at really resting. But the most essential thing for me is time with God. When I go a couple of days only writing and counseling and giving out without plugging in to Him, little things become big things and big things seem insurmountable. Praying for your surgery consultation. Blessings!

September 26, 2017 at 8:55 pm

That’s absolutely true of me too Donna. I really need to lean into His voice and rest when I start to feel all the “feels” that weigh me down. Thanks for stopping by!

Liz
    September 25, 2017 at 7:51 am

Praying for your consultation and surgery. I’ve been through it and it was worth it. Self care will be important after, and remember that everyone recovers differently, so give yourself grace to allow your body to recover in the way, and timeline, that it needs. Praying encouragement for your mind and soul in all things.

September 26, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I’m glad to hear your experience with the surgery was positive. Thank you for your prayers.

Amy Jung
    September 25, 2017 at 8:09 am

Praying for wisdom and guidance about surgery and healthy choices! We go through seasons, I think, when we are tempted to make unhealthy choices sabotaging past healthy choices. Sometimes it takes great courage along with God’s great help to return to operating in healthy ways. Been there!

September 26, 2017 at 8:57 pm

It’s been hard for me to make health choices. The Dr. alluded to my weight today and I was like “here we go”. But really, I need to get in rear in gear with this . I’m not getting any younger. I’m tired of Yo-Yo dieting.

BettieG
    September 25, 2017 at 9:07 am

Dear Barbie,
    I am continuing to pray that God will bless you abundantly for all of the serving that you have done for Him! And sometimes, I think that blessing comes in a resting time, even though we might not see it as that at first. I know I sure have had a hard time also, when the Lord calls me away to rest in Him. May the Doctors have great wisdom in your appointment tomorrow!

September 26, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much BettieG!

~Karrilee~
    September 25, 2017 at 9:24 am

Praying for you, sweet friend! Self care is such a huge thing – and for too long was pushed aside and thought of as selfish. I think our minds go to extremes, but once we have put into practice self care –it really doesn’t take as long as we fear! And those rare occasions where we need more time –we see how important and helpful it is! Praying for your appt tomorrow, too! Keep us posted!

September 26, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Thank you my sweet friend!

June
    September 25, 2017 at 10:26 am

Hello, sweet friend! Rest is SO important! I hope you can commit to getting more sleep, I know you will feel better 🙂 Praying for Lynn’s job prospect and your consultation tomorrow!

September 26, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I’m trying my best. It certainly isn’t easy and I do want to feel better. Still praying for breakthrough and favor from the interview.

Trudy
    September 25, 2017 at 10:38 am

I’m so sorry you feel exhausted and depressed, Barbie. Yes, self-care is so important. But sometimes not so easy to do when others are pulling on you for time and attention, right? I pray you will get more rest in every way and your consult and possible future surgery will go well. Blessings and hugs!

September 26, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Thank you Trudy! I appreciate you.

Michelle
    September 28, 2017 at 6:13 am

Self care, hmmm yeah me too, I so struggle with this. Praying for you Barbie!

September 28, 2017 at 8:29 pm