22 In Glimpses

Giving Thanks IN All Things // Glimpses Link Up

I pray you all had a beautiful Thanksgiving. I miss you and hope to be back to visiting your blogs soon.

Our Thanksgiving was low key this year.  Four out of the seven adults in my home were down with the stomach flu.  Thankfully, two were already on the road to recovery by Thanksgiving, and the other two weren’t hit until later that night.  So we just laid around that evening and never did get out of the house to do out traditional Black Friday shopping the next morning which my daughters and I have done every year for many years.  We did manage to drag ourselves out of the house for our annual trek up the Santa Cruz Mountains to cut down our Christmas Tree.  Even though some were still battling fatigue and we made it a quick trip, it was worth it.

Here’s my beautiful family, including our oldest son’s girlfriend.

This weekend got me thinking about the scripture that talks about giving thanks in all things.

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thess. 5:18)

So often I think we misinterpret the scripture and we read it as if God is wanting us to give thanks “for” all things. But that is not the case.  Bad things happen.  We go through hard circumstances.  Grief is a very real part of our lives.  We are not called to thank God “for” those hard things but rather we are to thank God IN the hard things.

Four out of seven adults down with the stomach flu and weekend plans ruined.  I was a little upset at first.  I mean who wouldn’t be.  But once I found something to thank God for in the middle of the hard, my attitude began to change. While I didn’t give God thanks for the flu and how my loved ones were disappointed that our shopping trip was not going to happen, I thanked God that it moved very quickly, and that the other adults (myself included) and my two grandsons were spared.

Although I didn’t thank God that I wasn’t going to be able to spend time with my daughters as is tradition and create fun memories, I did thank Him that He provided a way for us to buy more important things this week, like food and gas. You see I had set aside $100 for our shopping spree and ended up purchasing much needed items for the house instead.  The shopping can wait.

This weekend was just a small glimpse of a bigger lesson God has been trying to teach me.  Life is hard sometimes. Pain is real and healing often takes time.   But when I choose to give thanks in the middle of my  mess, my attitude about my circumstances will change.

When I choose to give thanks in the middle of my mess, my attitude about my circumstances change. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

God desires that we see Him working in the midst of the hard.  My eyes are open.

How are you thanking God in the middle of your mess?

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #721-730

721.  A financial gift from a friend in a most desperate time.
722.  A new phone (I went to the dark side, as some would say)
723.  My youngest son who continues to amaze me doing 9th grade independent study.
724.  My youngest daughter who is getting very good grades her senior year.
725.  Fall scents (spiced cider, cinnamon, clove)
726.  Burnt Almond Cake
727.  Spending time with family during Thanksgiving.
728.  The smell of the turkey cooking.
729.  Apple Cider toasts.
730.  Staying in my pajamas all day on Friday.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

Michele Morin
    November 27, 2017 at 4:58 am

So glad you were able to celebrate with family! That picture is definitely a keepsake!

November 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Michele. I pray you had a beautiful Thanksgiving.

jodie filogomo
    November 27, 2017 at 6:20 am

It’s tough when things don’t go as planned, but I loved seeing this photo!
    XOXO
    Jodie

November 30, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Thanks Jodie!

Barbara H.
    November 27, 2017 at 10:54 am

That’s an important distinction between “in” and “for.” Sometimes the holidays that didn’t go as planned are the most memorable years later. We had one several years ago where our car broke down on the way to a friends’ home in another state, our youngest got carsick all over the back seat, and we were running so late that we had to eat Thanksgiving dinner at Burger King. Not fun then, but it brings a smile now, and sometimes those different times can help put our focus back on the main things.

November 30, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I love how the memory of that brings smiles to your faces today. Thank you for sharing Barbara.

Lisa notes
    November 27, 2017 at 11:30 am

Ugh, the stomach flu. That’s awful, Barbie. 🙁 Hope everyone is doing much better now. Thanks for sharing how important our attitude is!

November 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm

We’ve been in the trenches, as the rest of us have come down with it. But we are all on the mend now.

Maree Dee
    November 27, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Sorry about the flu. Glad you could still count your blessings. I have had to go into overdrive today counting my blessings. Left the house at 7:30 am to catch a flight to Salt Lake City after a hard weekend full of loss. Well, what should have been 1 and 45-minute flight has turned into an odyssey. It looks like after three flights and tons of rescheduling I will make it at 8:30 pm. Of course, I still have one more flight. I was getting weepy at first and then started counting my blessings. I have been through much deeper and worse, and God is with me.

November 30, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Wow Mardee, I’m sorry about the delayed and long flights. I am so thankful that you were able to stop and count your blessings in the midst of it all.

Joanne Viola
    November 27, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Hope everyone is completely on the mend. The photo is just beautiful though. I am glad you were able to catch some glimpses of beauty to not only enjoy but to share with us all today!

November 30, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Joanne, the remaining household members (including me) did come down with the virus, but we are all on the mend now. God is still on the throne! Blessings!

BettieG
    November 27, 2017 at 6:44 pm

What a beautiful family photo! I hope that your health is being restored, Barbie! You bring such a blessing here when you encourage us to look up and give our gratitude to the Lord in the middle of the hard times!

November 30, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Thank you for your encouragement BettieG. I truly appreciate you!

Mary Geisen
    November 28, 2017 at 5:45 am

Giving thanks in all things certainly changes how we view gratitude. Thank you for pointing that out because when we go through difficult times we lose sight that God is still there.

Love your beautiful family photo and you!

November 30, 2017 at 7:31 pm

It’s so easy to lose sight of God in the midst of our hardship. That is why we must keep looking up. Blessings!

Trudy
    November 28, 2017 at 10:24 am

I’m sorry the flu visited your home, Barbie. I love the beautiful lesson God taught you – “Life is hard sometimes. Pain is real and healing often takes time. But when I choose to give thanks in the middle of my mess, my attitude about my circumstances will change.” Thank you for sharing it with us. Also the lovely family photo. 🙂 Love and hugs to you!

November 30, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Your presence here is such a blessing Trudy!

SUSAN SHIPE
    November 29, 2017 at 7:15 am

I like low key. Sure beats high maintenance and stress!

November 30, 2017 at 7:31 pm

TRUTH!

Donna Reidland
    November 30, 2017 at 2:28 pm

What a great photo of your family! I’m sorry you missed some of your regular traditions. Some years are like that in this broken world of ours, but it sounds like you focused on what was most important. Last year I missed our regular Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations to care for my mom in another state. While I missed the grandkids, it was a sweet time for my mom and me.

November 30, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Looking for the beauty amidst disappointment is so important. I bet you wouldn’t trade those precious moments with your mama for anything.