My 5 Minute Fridays

Being Intentional About Living // Five Minute Friday

It’s that time again, where I get to join the beautiful community of Five Minute Friday writers.  Each week we write for just five minutes on a word prompt. No editing or overthinking.  No worrying about perfection. Just words freely flowing from our heart to yours.  If you’ve never written a Five Minute Friday post, you should. It’s easier than you think (but sometimes a little hard).

This week’s prompt is

Until recently, I never thought much about being intentional about living. I’ve heard the phrase, “live with intention” and “Be intentional about pursuing your dreams”,  but how does one be intentional about living?  I mean we live and breathe, so therefore we live, right?  Do you know that you can be living and breathing but not be fully alive?  Been there.

You can be living and breathing but not be fully alive. #fiveminutefriday Click To Tweet

In this season of my life, I have days where I feel as if I’m going through the motions.  I get out of touch with my feelings and walk through life in an utter daze.  Emotions lie to me, and depression and anxiety rear their ugly heads.  It’s all I can do to get up in the morning and start each day with Jesus and a big cup of coffee.

The very definition of intention is something that is aimed for, to have a plan.  My days meld one into the other and not much changes.  It’s easy to look at my muddled life and tell myself that this is simply how it is.  But I know that there is more.  And even in my current emotional state, I can choose to be intentional about living, and not allow the enemy to give me cause to want to give up.  I often think about the big rocks in life that lead toward intentionality and purpose — chasing your God dream, consistent Bible reading and prayer, planning dates with the hubs.  But there is so much more to being intentional about living than the big things.  For me, living a simplified life is the first step to intentional living.

Living a simplified life is the first step toward intentional living. #fiveminutefriday Click To Tweet

Here are some of the simple ways I am intentional about living:

Kicking my shoes off and allowing my toes to feel the grass.

Eating an ice cream cone and allowing it to drip down the side.

Chasing my grandson through the house.

Getting a pedicure even when my toes aren’t showing.

Sipping a cup of hot Peppermint tea while reading a book on my Kindle.

Taking a moon lit stroll.

Allowing my hair to blow freely in the wind.

How are you intentional about living?

16 thoughts on “Being Intentional About Living // Five Minute Friday”

1. Vicki says:

“But I know that there is more. And even in my current emotional state, I can choose to be intentional about living, and not allow the enemy to give me cause to want to give up.” Oh, yes! It often comes down to the little choices that make living life to the fullest an intentional act. Thanks for this! God bless!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Vicki!

2. Tara says:

I love the ways you are choosing to be intentional. And depression and anxiety are so hard. I don’t struggle myself but know so many who do. Praying you find peace and light on those difficult days. I’m in the 4 spot this week.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Tara. I appreciate you.

3. Sue says:

First of all, I love, love, love your “I start each day with Jesus and a big cup of coffee.” 🙂 I NEED to do that. I always start my day with a big cup of coffee, but I don’t often invite Jesus to join me. Why not? It is the perfect beginning and both coffee and Jesus give me a little push to be a better person. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Sue. I couldn’t find a place to comment on your blog, but I really enjoyed your post. Blessings!

4. BettieG says:

I love your thoughts about being intentional with the little everyday things, and not just the big things! Thanks for being an encouragement, even in the middle of your own struggles. Blessings!

1. Barbie says:

Have a blessed and beautiful weekend BettieG!

5. Joy Lenton says:

Barbie, although you might be in a dark place right now, this is an inspirational post. You write from the depths of your current reality and in the process speak volumes to all who need to see that the choices they make can determine how well (or otherwise) a day turns out. These words are especially light and life affirming: “I can choose to be intentional about living, and not allow the enemy to give me cause to want to give up”, indicating as they do that our intentions shape our actions. And I LOVE the simple ways in which joy is slowly seeping back into your soul. Because it will, my friend, surprising you one day. Blessings, love and prayers. xo

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for your faithful encouragement Joy!

6. Esther says:

Barbie , thanks for the reminder to be intentional in big and little things. Your examples of “little things” are delightful. Blessings. Visiting from FMF.

7. Annette says:

I could be intentional about moonlit walks too. 🙂

8. June says:

For me, it simply means living each moment, Being fully present. Not too focused on either the past or the future but living, enjoying, being content in the now. A tall order in the culture we live in today. I’m so glad you’re thinking about these things, friend. They bring life and light into the darkness. Blessings on your week, dear one.

9. Jolene says:

I love your list of simple ways to be intentional. I find it interesting that my children seem to remember the simple ordinary things more so than what I thought would be the big moments. Thank you for sharing your heart, friend!

-Jolene

10. Anita Ojeda says:

I, too, let my grandson chase me (and feed me food over his shoulder–it’s a mess, but it makes him giggle). I always take time to soak in beautiful sunrises and sunsets, too :).