Delighting In God’s Commands // Glimpses Link UP

Over the last few weeks I’ve been on a journey of scripture writing and so far I am really enjoying it.  We are currently in Psalm 119, the longest Psalm and chapter in the Bible which is a prayer of one who delights in the ways of the Lord.

One of the scripture passages we wrote recently was Psalm 119:35.

I never once thought after coming to Christ in my early 20’s that following God’s commands would be a drudgery. I was happy to oblige because I was so in love with Him. Yet, I have to admit that sometimes I can tend to get lazy in my pursuit of God and lack the discipline I need to stay on course. But I realize that the harder I run after God and strive to keep my heart pure before Him, the more pleasurable my life will be.

I love how this verse reads in The Message Translation:

Guide me down the road of your commandments;
    I love traveling this freeway!

I can almost picture myself sitting next to God in a convertible car. The roof top is open, the sun is shining down ever so brightly and my bare feet are kicked back up against the dash as I lean back, arms behind my head, into the plush cushioned passenger seat. I have not a care in the world because I trust the one who is at the wheel. God is in the driver’s seat and He’s moving me down the path of life ever so gently.  Along the way are commands that I must follow if I want to be closer to Him and filled with even more joy.  At times it’s hard and I struggle, but God gently navigates me through those places, all the while leading me down the right path.  We laugh together as He reminds me that even though sometimes life will get in the way, the best course is to follow His ways.  When I set my heart on the course of His commands, I will lack no pleasure in life.

When I set my heart on the course of His commands, I will lack no pleasure in life. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

God promises that if we follow Him, joy will follow us all of our days.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #841-850

841.  Finally, a natural face wash that I love.
842.  Lots of free makeup with purchase at Ulta.
843.  Heart connections with friends.
844.  Remembering His faithfulness.
845.  Hope-filled tomorrows
846.  Psalm 119:35
847.  Clients who verbalize their appreciation for your hard work.
848.  Warmer days.
849.  Junior Mints for when I want to indulge.
850.  Taking it one day at a time.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

1. Lesley says:

I love how you describe that image of traveling down the freeway, trusting God to lead!

2. Barbie,
    When I was younger, I sort of thought of God’s commands as a list of “Thou shalt not’s.” I’ve come to realize that they are a gift of love….when followed they lead to abundant life. Love the vision in the convertible 🙂
    Bev xx

3. Mary Geisen says:

The image of sitting in the convertible looks like freedom because you trust the one driving. Thank you for reminding me how God is the best driver for the car. We just need to follow Him and trust hIm.

4. I’m traveling down that highway with you with my hair blowing.

5. BettieG says:

Dear Barbie,
    I love the picture that God gave you of riding in the car with Him! He really does have the best in mind for us! Blessings to you this week!

6. Joy Lenton says:

Barbie, you paint a beautiful picture of resting faith and trust, hair blowing in the wind, bare feet up on the dashboard and all! Aahh… I can just see myself there too… 🙂 I’m grateful for that image to carry through my week but even more thankful that God gifted it to you and your voice sounds calmer,more at peace as a result. Praise God! I was also curious enough to click on the skincare link. I have such awkward, rosacea-prone, combination, dehydrated, hypersensitive and hyperactive skin that not much suits it. So I’m still looking for the holy grail of skincare, while holding on to what doesn’t irritate too much. May the rest of the week be blessed for you, my friend! xo <3

• Barbie says:

Joy, I’m loving my new skincare. I especially love that it’s “clean” and free of harmful ingredients. Smells good too! I have rosacea-prone skin as well and am on the hunt for a clean foundation that works with that. Have yet to find one. Thanks for stopping by my friend!

7. Gayl says:

I started doing some scripture writing in January and then I got away from it. It was a good discipline, though, and helped me focus on the Word. I think I need to get back to it. I’m so glad God gently leads us and is with us through the hard times as well as the good. Blessings to you, Barbie!

• Barbie says:

I haven’t been perfect. It’s learning to start this habit all over again, but it is really helping me to linger longer and meditate on what I’m reading throughout my day.

8. Jennifer says:

God promises if we will follow will follow! My, we were on the same page this week!! What a wonderful promise – and truth!! Hoping you enjoy a little extra joy this week:)

9. Maree Dee says:

I want to start writing scripture out again. I would like to incorporate it into my prayer time. Love the picture of your driving in the convertible.

10. Susan Shipe says:

Isn’t it odd how our pleasure becomes His! Good post!

11. June says:

What a great image, Barbie! So thankful you are hiding God’s word in your heart each day – blessings on your week, my friend!