A Friend of God

Today I am linking up with Bonnie for the Faith Barista JAM.  We are sharing what God is revealing to us in our “White Space” (our personal time with Him).

I have been paying attention to how I pray lately.  One thing I notice is that I start many of my conversations with God by addressing Him as “Heavenly Father”.  Now, don’t get me wrong, He deserves that title and respect. But one thing God has been speaking to my heart is that I am often much too formal in my prayers.  He does not require formality or structure from me.  Sure, there is a time and a place for that.  But what He really wants is for me to come not just as a daughter of the King of Kings, but also as a friend.

There is a song that I heard earlier this week that reminded me of this truth.  The lyrics are below:

Who am I that You are mindful of me
That You hear me when I call
Is it true that You are thinking of me
How You love me it’s amazing

I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend

God Almighty, Lord of Glory
You have called me friend

I have no problem addressing God as “King of Kings”, “Master”, “Lord” or “Heavenly Father”  However, it blows my mind to think that the Creator of the universe thinks about me as a friend.

And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.  (James 2:23)

No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.  (John 15:15)

I was made in the image of Christ.  He is my Heavenly Father; yet, He is my friend.  As any true friend would, God wants to spend time with me, chatting it up, taking walks on the beach, meeting over coffee.  He wants to have a one-on-one, face-to-face conversation with me — daily.

Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.  (Exodus 33:11)

God is not distant and unapproachable.  He is the friend that sticks closer than a brother.  He will never leave me nor forsake me.  His love will never fail me.  He will stick with me, even when I walk away from Him. He will always welcome me with open arms.  I want to know God as friend.

Did you know that God calls you friend? How does that make you feel?

Be sure and visit the Faith Barista JAM for more on what God is revealing in our “white spaces”.



11 thoughts on “A Friend of God”

  1. Shanda Oakley says:

    I never address Him as Friend.  It seems so..common. Yet he wants to be that common to us that we would come to him with love and enjoyment as a friend. thank you for drawing my attention to this.

  2. Anonymous says:

    I’m amazed that He would call us His friends.    His love amazes me and I’m grateful to know Him as Abba Father, Deliverer, Shield, Strength, Strong Tower, and Friend.

    Bless you!

    1. Barbie says:

      Just thinking about His names, His NAME…..and that He calls me friend.  Blows my mind!  Have a great weekend.

  3. Adoption Mama says:

    My friend is amazing. He is my Creator and Redeemer, but He is also the only One who never fails me. He is my best Friend…

    1. Barbie says:

      My “best friend”!  I love that!

  4. Photographing Mom says:

    Thank you for the reminder!!

  5. Photographing Mom says:

    Thank you for the reminder!!

  6. Anonymous says:

    What a beautiful reminder my friend.  God’s love is amazing.  And the fact that He wants to have a relationship w/us is even more amazing.  Blessings to you in your journey of friendship!

    1. Barbie says:

      Thanks Alicia!

  7. Child of God says:

    Hi Barbie,
    Great post! It just amazes me that our Holy God, Creator of all calls us friend. How much He loves us and just really wants to have a relationship with us. That is Christianity, not rules and regulations but relationship with the Creator. 
    I find that I am a bit to informal with God, I love to call Him Daddy, brother and friend and He has reminded me that He is holy and, at times, requires for me to acknowledge this. Not always does He ask me to lay prostrate in front of Him, most often He just wants to chat with me but there are times when His presence requires bent knees or lying prostrate in front of Him.
    I guess if I brought it into percentage terms I would say 5% of the time God requires to be related as a Holy God the other 95% of the time He just wants me to come to Him casual. Kind of like a parent, I want my kids to understand that I am their parent and need to be respected as such but most often I just want them to come to me with all of their problems and look on me as a friend.


    1. Barbie says:

      Great insight.  And I totally agree!  Have a blessed weekend!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge