“There is beauty in the broken.”
I‘ve seen this phrase floating around the blogsphere this week. God is once again opening my eyes to beauty. But it’s not the beauty that I can see. It’s the beauty that has yet to be revealed — at least to the eye of the beholder. It doesn’t always look whole. It’s broken, bruised and often messy. But if I look deep into the cracks and crevices, into the places that lay waiting to be filled by their Maker, there beauty will be found.
I am reminded today of such beauty. My heart has been heavy for Sara and Katie this week. Sara is preparing for the ultimate homecoming very soon. She is preparing to meet Jesus face-to-face. Her life has been a testimony of CHOOSING JOY in the midst of a life she may not have chosen for herself — yet, something tells me if Sara had to live this life over again, she wouldn’t change a thing. And Katie, I do not know her well. But she is sick. Her body is broken right now. But still, God has given her friends and loved ones glimpses of His beauty for her — the ability to sip coffee with her husband and friends in a beautiful garden that is just outside her hospital room; the doctor’s report that “there is no cancer in the bone marrow”. We are thankful.
It takes a strength much deeper than anything I can muster up to continue to see beauty in times of brokenness. Yet today, I am choosing to seek it out. I am trusting Him to take these precious ones and reveal the beauty that awaits them. I refuse to focus on only what my natural eyes can see. I choose to look deep — deep into His Word, the truth that He makes all things beautiful in His time.
Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
Today I continue to count. There is beauty in brokenness.
Grace Gifts 287-300
287. The ability to “choose joy” despite my circumstances.
288. Rejoicing that soon Sara will be whole and resting in the arms of Jesus.
289. Encouraging comments received from my blog friends.
290. Prayers coming in from all over the world for lovely Katie.
291. Hope and joy realized in the midst of the unknown, “there is no cancer in the bone marrow“.
292. For Top Raman, as I nurse my sinus infection.
293. For Facebook and Twitter prayers from friends, lifting me up to strengthen me.
294. For the ability to hear His voice, despite the other loud voices that try to work their way into my mind.
295. For Kleenex, the kind with the lotion, for my poor nose.
296. Being able to “let go” of all of the housework for at least today. Something that is hard for me.
297. For this upcoming album release by Jeremy Riddle.
298. For food that nourishes my body, despite the fact that I cannot taste it.
299. For coconut ice cream!
300. For His constant and abiding love for me!
I am linking up with A Holy Experience today on my journey toward listing 1000 gifts. Will you join me? Or leave a comment here and let me know how God is showing you beauty in broken today.