31 Days of Abiding

Abiding {Day 14} – An Invitation to Dance

© IKO - Fotolia.com

I‘ve been slowing down, taking time to sit still, to lean into His voice.  And in the slowing down, I’ve slowed down my writing. Not intentionally.  I really want to hear His heart for this series and it’s not come so easily the last couple of days.  So today, I am taking a little pressure off of myself and re-posting something I wrote here several months back.  My church had an arts conference and I attended a writing workshop.  During the workshop, we did an exercise where the speaker put one instrumental music and asked us to begin to write, without thinking.  I remember telling myself, “I can’t do that”.  But what happened is the Lord began to show me a very vivid picture and as I sat, with tears in my eyes, allowing Him to engage my heart, this is what I came up with.  I felt today that I wanted to post it here.  We have been learning to sit and be still in His presence, and now He is inviting us to come and dance with Him.  I hope that you are blessed!

He sees me there, in the distance.  Fear and darkness surround me.  What will I become if I give myself fully to Him?  I’ve only ever known darkness, but yet a great light surrounds Him.  It overtakes Him.  He beckons me to come, to join Him in the dance.  The light swirling around Him is inviting.  Colors I’ve never seen before.  They are drawing me.  The child inside of me screams to get out.  She wants to run straight into the light and into His arms.  There is no fear in her.  But only childlike faith.  Can I become as that child?  Will I let my guard down?  Will I allow myself to push through this darkness towards the place in the distance that draws me?  It is not so far away.  It is but a step.  It is but the willingness of my heart.  I will overcome this fear.  I will push through the darkness and join Him whose face I cannot see, but whose light captivates me.  I will step out in faith.  I will trust.  I will dance with the One who calls me by name.

My friend, do you hear Him calling you today?  He is beckoning you to come and dance with Him.  There is no fear in love.  May He lavish His love on you and may you dance with the One who desires you like no other.

The LORD your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”
(Zephania 3:17)

*This is Day 14 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

15 thoughts on “Abiding {Day 14} – An Invitation to Dance”

1. yolanda campbell says:

I  am finding it easier to let go and just dance in his presence. Thanks for sharing this.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Yolanda!

2. Charissa says:

This is beautiful…I have been feeling this on my heart for awhile now…need to dance…be free…healed…thank you for this!

1. Barbie says:

You’re welcome Charissa! Thank you for visiting!

3. Noreen Taylor says:

Dear Barbie, Wonderful post with delightful music to go with it!  So powerful!
    Have a blessed weekend.  Noreen

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Noreen!

4. jkhenderson3 says:

Beautiful.

I was in a prayer service one time, up at the altar, crying out to Him, feeling like I had let Him down. And He gave me an image. One of Him reaching down to me, wiping away my tears, and inviting me to dance. He wasn’t worried about where I had failed Him. He simply wanted me to rejoin Him in all that He was doing. To dance with Him. Reading this made me think of that tender moment with Him. I love how He speaks.

1. Barbie says:

Oh wow, that is so amazing! Thank you for sharing this with us. It so encouraged my heart.

5. jkhenderson3 says:

Beautiful.

6. Glenda Childers says:

I am 31 dayer, too and am finding it a bit much to blog everyday. Glad you reposted this.

Fondly,Glenda

7. Debbie says:

Barbie, this is beautiful!  I’m so glad you shared this one and the circumstances of how you wrote it.  God is so good and God is so faithful.  Yes, I do hear Him calling and yes, I would love to dance.  I can see it with my spiritual eyes.

blessings and love,
    Debbie

1. Barbie says:

Thank you my friend!

8. Kerri Smith says:

how beautiful….what a lovely image you share, thank you Barbie! OH how I want to dance with Jesus!!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you my friend!

9. GGMandy says:

I love Zephaniah 3:17 .. It keeps me stable when times are tough .. and times ARE tough!

Coming from 31 day Survivors on FB