Faith

Do you see? {Write it girl}

© laban05 - Fotolia.com

Thanksgiving was a beautiful day spent with family and friends.  I had an opportunity to give thanks to God for all that He has done in my life, the food, my family, health and all that He is still yet to do.  But as I reflect on my journey of “giving thanks”, I am learning that gratitude is an attitude in my heart that must continue to be cultivated, and it only grows out of a continual grasp to find beauty in all things.

In ALL things.

How is it that I can give God thanks for a cancer-stricken friend?

How do I muster up the strength to thank Him when depression rears it’s ugly head?

What about during this season of financial lack?

As I continue on my journey, I am learning that gratitude is not always birthed in a season when all is well.  But it is most often birthed in a season of lack.  It’s roots go down as I set my face like flint and purpose in my heart to stand firm on the Rock, Christ Jesus and to not be moved when the winds and storms rage.  It blossoms through seasons of intense pain and discontent.  It flourishes in a heart that yearns and longs to be filled.

But the Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame.  (Isaiah 50:7)

Do you see?

My pastor often speaks about beholding.   “What you behold, you will become.”  When I set my eyes on my circumstances and choose to allow them to become my standard for living, I am truly missing out on all that God has for me.  I want to learn to behold Him.  To behold His beauty.  For it’s only when I behold Him that my eyes will be opened, and then I will truly see beauty.

One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple.  (Psalm 27:4)

I am so thankful that God is with me on this journey. It’s been a hard few days of looking to see the depth of the goodness of the Lord despite what my natural eyes show me. But I choose to trust.  I choose to lean into Him.  I choose to see with new eyes.

Grace gifts 374-385

374.  Spending Thanksgiving with unsaved family and sharing the light of Jesus.

375.  No fuss shopping on “black Friday”.

376.  Sales on “wish list items”.

377.  Chocolate mousse.

378.  Glimpses of red in the sky, reminding me of God’s love and forgiveness.

379.  Strawberry lemonade.

380.  His Word, which reminds me of His promises toward me.

381.  His forgiveness.  I fail so often.  But His love never fails.

382.  The tender hearts of my children towards the Lord.

383.  Cleansing tears.

384.  Watching Christmas movies with my family.

385.  That He continues to draw me by His loving kindness.

34 thoughts on “Do you see? {Write it girl}”

1. Shortybear 63 says:

Keep leaning on Jesus, He will never let you down.

1. Barbie says:

Amen!

2. Darcie says:

Love this post. Pretty sure I’ll be rereading it in the morning when I get up.
    I need so badly to behold…
    To read His word again…
    Not sure where to start. Except with maybe a prayer for guidence.
    And wisdom.
    God is good.

1. Barbie says:

Asking the Father to rain down His wisdom and guide you today! The beautiful thing about beholding is it can happen an a moment, as soon as we set our mind to it. Praying you find beauty today.

3. Stacey29lincoln says:

I love this friend.  What a beautiful encouragement for my heart today!

so glad you linked up each week!

1. Barbie says:

I truly enjoyed this Stacey! Blessings!

4. Venessa says:

You just get me every time :). I am thankful for your posts and the lovely words you write that touch my heart.

1. Barbie says:

Venessa, thank you for your encouragement this morning.  I write for Him, but it’s nice to know when others are touched by my words.

5. Christina@toshowthemjesus.com says:

Oh how I can relate to the hard thanks given in the midst of depression! A constant uphill batttle.  Praise Him for grace! Enjoyed your list today

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Christina!

6. Lisa notes says:

You’re so right; thanksgiving is most deeply birthed in seasons of lack. I don’t necessarily like that, but it’s true.

Strawberry lemonade. I’ll have to try that sometime. 🙂

1. Barbie says:

I want to learn to embrace the hard seasons.  I have a ways to go.

7. Amy says:

What a good reminder of what gratitude really mean.  I love this part: “I am learning that gratitude is not always birthed in a season when all is well.  But it is most often birthed in a season of lack.”  I was reading Of Plymouth Plantation in the days leading up to thanksgiving, and I was really struck by how the Pilgrims had such gratitude for God even though their circumstances were very difficult in those early days in the New World.

8. Christina Berry says:

#381. Oh so sweet!

Have a great week, Barbie!

9. Anonymous says:

Oh, I love this statement:

I am learning that gratitude is not always birthed in a season when all
    is well.  But it is most often birthed in a season of lack.

That is so true, Barbie!  It’s not a pleasant thought, but is reality.

Enjoyed your list, too!

Have a wonderful afternoon…

10. Amy Sullivan says:

337 and 339? Ahh, yes. It’s almost too much.

11. Lisa says:

Barbie, you speak right to my soul in this post.  I understand the struggle.  I’m in it, too!  Thank you so much for sharing!

12. Nikki @ Simplystriving says:

Beautiful post. I’m going to be thinking about beholding Him. . . .
    Thank you for blessing me today.

13. Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

Oh yes, in the season of lack I press hard in.  Trusting and depending on the only One who is always faithful.  The season is often hard but the growth is so good.  As always, I’m encouraged by your words.

14. Kalyn Comings says:

Thank you so much for the kind words about my blog on the (in)courage community. I love your blog and they way your posts encourage others. Will be visiting again! 🙂

15. Alene Snodgrass says:

I love that…what you behold, you become! WOW such truth. I need to be more mindful of my beholdings. Keep writing. I love it here.

16. Monique Zackery says:

Great post. And your site is lovely! 🙂 I too have found that the deepest thanksgiving comes from the most trying of times. Blessings to you, dear sister. (New follower from (in)courage).

17. Denise J. Hughes says:

“What you behold, you will become.” That is powerful. This is going to stick with me. Thank you so much for sharing it today.

18. Laura Rath says:

I’ve heard of sellf-fufilling prophecy. For example, somone who is convinced they’re “unlucky” seems to have bad things happen. “What you behold, you will become” made me think of this. If we choose to see the negative & to live looking for the next bad thing to happen, then eventually, that’s all we can see.

Thanks, Great post!

19. Tammyhelfrich says:

Great post. I loved the line that it is birthed out of a season of lack. Sometimes we have to hit rock bottom to understand how to truly be thankful for everything!

20. Dorie says:

Oh, yes, so true…’gratitude is an attitude…that must continue to be cultivated’  I find that when I least want to have gratitude, it is in those moments, that I need to start counting again…finding what is the blessing of each and every moment.  The journey with hills and valleys is well worth it.
    And, thank you for your kind, generous words yesterday…I appreciate them greatly.

21. Jamie Worley says:

It is hard, to look deep into the difficulties to find the blessings. I’m dealing with that myself with a few things, including my dad’s recent diagnosis of ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). But I think that’s where true joy comes in; it cannot be dependent on circumstances, but in knowing and depending upon Jesus. And sometimes, it’s just a lot harder than others.

22. Frances says:

I love that your list reflects a wide array of Thanksgiving experiences.. from small joys to hard situations to wonderful blessings. That’s how my week was too! 🙂 ~Frances

23. charis says:

this is a great reminder and i agree that it is in the tough times that we really learn how to be thankful for His activity in our lives.

24. Blue Cotton Memory says:

Amazing things happen when we “set our faces like flint” in faith and face challenges! Your post so blessed my heart!

25. Janette@Janette's Sage says:

Beautiful…I so totally relate….and continue to relate.  I loved your list..”cleansing tears”  I lift you in my prayers right now…and Praise God that He is walking with you through this season
    Hugs,

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much dear friend.

1. Barbie says:

Absolutely! Thank you so much! Love your blog!