Book study

Made to Crave – Week 5 {Made for More}

Today we are sharing our thoughts on Chapter 5 of Made to Crave.  If you wrote a post, will you link up here so that we can encourage one another on our journey?

“We were made for more than this.  More than this failure, more than this cycle, more than being ruled by our taste buds.  We were made for victory.  Sometimes we just have to find our way to that truth.” – Made to Crave.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been striving to process the truth this past week.  I want to thank you all so much for the encouraging comments you left on my Week 4 post.  You literally moved me to tears by your love, how you are championing me through this.  I can’t thank you enough!

But it has been a hard week, at least the later half.  I started out with fresh determination and for 3 days I did well abstaining from sugar.  And then, the old lies came back, “just one won’t hurt you”, “you deserve this”, “this will not make a difference on the scale”, “you’re too weak to say no”.  And instead of reminding myself that I WAS MADE FOR MORE, I gave into the lies.  I gave in to temporary fulfillment and pleasure.  I sinned.

I am seriously considering pasting those words up everywhere I go, so that I will remember to tell myself that I WAS MADE FOR MORE.  I need to retrain my brain and my mouth to hear and speak the truth.  Lysa calls it rewriting the “go-to” scripts that play in our head every time we are tempted.  It is one of the most crucial steps towards permanent progress.  If I am going to be successful, I must rewrite the scripts that play over and over again in my head — the excuses, the rationalizations, the “I’ll do better tomorrow” escape clauses.  I must force myself to get into the habit of replacing those scripts with the truth — I WAS MADE FOR MORE!  For it’s the truth of who I am in Him and the power to live out that truth that will provide fuel for this journey.

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.  I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.”  (Ephesians 1:17-19).

I pray this scripture every week in the Prayer Room.  I never even thought about using it to pray through my weight loss. Let’s break it down.

Be Persistent.

Keep asking.  Keep asking.  It is crucial that we ask God to join us on this journey.  We must continue to ask for His wisdom and revelation concerning our food choices from now on.

Embrace Your True Identity.

“Glorious Father”.  This answers the question of “Why are we made for more”?  We are made for more because we are children of God.  The truth of our identity as a child of God empowers us to believe that living in victory tastes sweater than any unhealthy delicacy.

Find the Deeper Reason.

“So that you may know Him better”.  This is the real reason that grounding ourselves in the truth is so vitally important.  It’s to know Him better.  The more we anchor ourselves in the truth of who we are and the reality that we were made for more, the closer to God we will become.

Discover a Hope and Power Unlike Any Other.

“That the eyes of your heart may be enlightened.”  The Apostle Paul asks for light to be shed upon our hearts so we will more clearly recognize the hope and power that is available to us.  It is crucial to have a hope and power beyond ourselves.

How about you?  Are you having to push through the lies and rewrite the scripts in your head?  Do you believe that YOU WERE MADE FOR MORE?  Be sure to stop by and visit Venessa and leave her some encouragement on her own journey.

Weekly Check-In
Starting Weight:  201.8
Today’s Weight:  200.6
First Goal:  175

17 thoughts on “Made to Crave – Week 5 {Made for More}”

1. Venessa says:

Totally get where you are! I have compiled a list of quotes from her book that I am going to be printing up and pasting around my house…it has to be done! We do have to re write our scripts and that takes time and reminding! Let me know if you want me to send you a copy of what I have!

1. Barbie says:

Yes! I would love to have the quotes as well. Thank you for walking this journey with me!

2. Nikki says:

“I was made for more” I love that. For some reason I feel like I need to write that on my bathroom mirror! in bright red lipstick…. Oh, if only I were the kind of gal that had bright red lipstick… I’ll settle for putting in on a postcard attached to my mirror 🙂 Thank you for encouraging us even while trying to make this journey yourself. You bless me so.

1. Barbie says:

That sounds like a great plan. Something I need to do myself!

3. Anonymous says:

Yes, You and I were made for more… prayed that verse in Ephesians for you, myself, family and friends as I read it.   God will give you what you need…I need to remind myself all the time, like just five minutes ago, of how God loves me…unconditionally.  Hugs to you, Barbie…with God’s help, you can do it!

1. Barbie says:

Yes! Amen, and thank you!

4. Anonymous says:

P.S.  Forgot to congratulate you on the progress you have made!  Go girl!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you!

5. Maria @ A Blooming Spirit says:

Dear Barbie, with the whole situation with my dad I have not visited anyone at all these past few weeks.  Thanks for all of your encouraging words and the prayers.  I will continue to pray for you too as you continue on this journey.  Be blessed, friend.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

6. Ann says:

Hi, Barbie
    I was the same way this past week! I was so tempted because of celebrations and family illnesses all week! Keep your eyes on Him! I’m really striving to pray every time a temptation comes. Also, putting something healthy in my purse, on my kitchen table. With Valentine’s Day coming, I’m determined to be “sweets free”. The holiday is about so much more than that!! Praying for you.

In His Lo♥e,
    Ann

7. charis says:

you made progress!  every bit of progress counts!  (and i have heard it said, and experienced myself that slower loss is usually easier to maintain over the long run).  keep going for it.  you are an inspiration.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Charis! I appreciate you!

8. Charina says:

Know that I am with you on this journey Barbie. And yes we were made for more, more than we want to admit…

1. Barbie says:

Thank you my dear friend!

9. Barbie says:

Thanks Ann! Yes, celebrations are hard. Hopefully I will be strong!

10. Tara says:

I see this blog post is two years old..just want to comment before I search for the rest of the story. I just finished reading the book and I am excited to see what God will do as I step out in faith and obedience. I was just looking for others on the same journey. Excited to find this blog! 🙂