My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Race

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Race

(photo source)

Life is a race. We are all racing to and fro, always going somewhere.  Seemingly in a hurry, we pass the beauty on the side of the road just waiting to be uncovered. Moments missed, memories fade, words left unspoken.  All for the sake of the race. To be the first one out, the first one in, to arrive in style ahead of everyone else.

But at what cost?  If we run too fast we will miss precious moments with our little ones.  We will miss opportunities to bless the person we pass on the street who clearly needs a word of encouragement.  If we run too fast we just might hit a bump in the road and fall of the track.

Don’t run so fast.  This race of life.  Yes, we are all racing toward the goal.  We all want to win the prize.  But life itself is not a race.  Life should be savored.  Breathed in.  There is so much beauty to behold.  There are so many moments that we may miss if we run too fast.

Five Minute Friday

26 thoughts on “Five Minute Friday: Race”

1. Jennifer Roth says:

Wonderful post. This theme is a great reminder to embrace the moments we have been blessed with. We race towards something that we don’t have and forfeit the here and now. I know I do it way more than I care to admit. But, like you said, there is so much beauty to behold. Thanks. 🙂
    Jennifer Roth recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Race

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping by Jennifer!

2. Belinda Letchford says:

This is only my second 5 minute Friday but I do like it – one of the things that I like is that we can all say the exact opposite and yet still be true! I started my post with ‘life is not a race’ and yet here you are saying ‘life is a race’. I appreciated your thoughts – we can run too fast and there is indeed a cost.
    Belinda Letchford recently posted..The Approval of the Lord (5 Minute Friday)

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much for visiting today Belinda. I am off to take a peek at your post.

Thanks Denise!

3. Kris says:

Thanks, Barbie. Thinking today about not running so fast. Bless you, my friend, enjoy your weekend!
    Kris recently posted..Race

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Kris! May your weekend be filled with His beauty!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Jenn!

4. Ro elliott says:

you expressed this beautifully…amen to it all. Counting all His graces to me has slowed me down…slows me on the inside…therefore it slows me in actions. have a wonderful weekend…may it be filled with a slow pace and His beauty.

Thank you Ro elliott!

5. Debbie says:

I loved your take on our word: race. You recognized the need to slow down and not miss out on those precious moments. I also participated in FMF this morning on our word race. I love reading others posts to see what direction they race towards. 🙂

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Race

1. Barbie says:

Thanks my friend. I’ll be sure to visit your post, if I haven’t already (I am so tired I can’t remember)! Have a beauty-filled weekend.

6. ~Karrilee~ says:

This was my first Five Minute Friday experience… so glad I jumped in and played along! I am loving reading all the different posts today… I loved how you can feel yourself begin to slow as you read this post… the “oh yeah… I sometimes forget to breathe” revelation! The line you wrote that says, “But life itself is not a race. Life should be savored. Breathed in. There is so much beauty to behold.” rings true with my heart… the call to slow down, to count, to see… to savor!
    Thank you!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – "Race"

1. Barbie says:

I am so glad you stopped by Karrilee! I will be sure to stop by your blog and say hello!

7. Paula Barnett says:

I share your belief in enjoying each moment of time knowing that it is in each moment that the prize for the race is found; the peace prize.
    Paula Barnett recently posted..Race to Grace

1. Barbie says:

Such great thoughts Paula. Thanks for stopping by.

8. Nikki says:

Yes, yes, yes!!
    No wonder we’re so kindred…

let’s savor long whatever time holds….the time of today. we won’t even worry about tomorrow 😉

(and look at you with your minor enhancements! my comment feels all pretty!)
    Nikki recently posted..Reversing the Rat Race ~ Five Minute Friday

1. Barbie says:

Thanks my friend. I am still having my designer tweak my blog. It’s a good think she loves me! I’ll be savoring beauty with you this weekend.

9. Jacquie says:

Hi Barbie – thanks for visiting & commenting on my first FMF post yesterday! I liked your take on “Race” too & it was a great reminder to slow down and enjoy the beauty around us or to not be running so fast that we miss the opportunities that God might have for us along the way – so good! And I agree with Nikki – my comment does feel so pretty! 🙂
    Jacquie recently posted..5 Minute Friday: A Race Worth Running

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Jacquie. I apologize for getting back to you so late. I love my pretty comments too!

10. Nataline says:

Stopping by with 5 minute Friday. I really enjoyed my visit to your post and your site. It is beautiful and inspirational. I will be praying with you for us both to remember to keep it slow.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Nataline. I am a little behind in the comments on this post. Have a beautiful weekend.

11. charis says:

a totally different take on race that i had, but one i love just as much! i hate the racing around – the rat race kinda racing! i want to be present in the moments and enjoy the life God has given to me.
    charis recently posted..to finish the race strong