My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Quiet

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Quiet

(photo credit)

I walk in the door.  Kids screaming.  The laundry machine calling my name.  The hustle and bustle of my husband in the kitchen as he gentle kisses me on the cheek and heads upstairs for a shower. I am left with the sizzling pot of chili on the burner, and cornbread to throw in the oven.

Sigh.

I long for peace and quiet.  But this family of mine needs me.  After working all day I come home to a house full of laughter, full of discussion, sometimes arguments.  I come home to a kitchen messy, empty pantry and baskets overflowing with laundry.  And the noise in my head screams, “Run away!”  A mom’s work is never done.  I’ve clocked in, but I will never clock out.

I long for peace and quiet.  So I sneak away for a moment, in the laundry room and shut the door and ask Him to come.

“Lord, please come.  Quiet my soul among the clamoring of dishes.  Quiet my spirit so that I can hear You clearly among the hustle and bustle of my household.  I want to breath you in.  I want to be still and know that You are God.  In the quiet I can hear You. Lord, come and teach me to hear you among the day-to-day busy life that I am so blessed to have.  I long for peace and quiet.  Come, Lord, and quiet my soul.”

Five Minute Friday

33 thoughts on “Five Minute Friday: Quiet”

1. Julie Anne Staub says:

What a beautiful reminder to invite God in to the chaos of family life! I love the creativity of using the laundry room as a prayer closet 🙂
    Julie Anne Staub recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Quiet

1. Barbie says:

I wish I could hide there forever. It only takes about 5 minutes to ask Him to take over!

2. Alia Joy says:

I should try hiding in the laundry closet and praying. My family would never find me there, lol. I love this reminder. Thanks friend, it’s a beautiful thing that we have a God who comes into our everyday and meets us within all the noise and chaos.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Quiet

1. Barbie says:

I love that I can call on Him anywhere and He will come. He’s not afraid of noise!

3. Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation says:

You may want to run away now but when all that noise is gone…when all that’s in the laundry basket is clothes from parents of grown children you will surely miss all that noise. 😉 Embrace it! The quiet will come before you know it! 🙂
    Mindy @ New Equus – A New Creation recently posted..Be still and know. (Five Minute Friday)

1. Barbie says:

So true my friend! They do grow up all too quickly!

4. Mary says:

Mindy is right, they do grow up quickly, but I can remember feeling exactly as you describe. And at that point in time, it didn’t really matter that eventually all would be quiet!

Your prayer is beautiful. Can you copyright a prayer? Maybe you should find out! Seriously, it is beautiful.

Hugs my friend~
    Mary
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for your sweet comment my friend. Feel free to borrow my prayer any time!

Thank you my friend!

5. WICK says:

Sounds like Brother Lawrence to me! 🙂 May God continue to be with you, as you practice His presence…
    WICK recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Quiet

Thank you Wick!

6. Missy says:

Oh, the Laundry Room! One of THE best prayer closets, ever! I’m so glad you are able to get some quiet there. I can so identify with that “mama’s work is never done” feeling. That’s when I need run right to that laundry room and get quiet, too.
    Missy recently posted..Quiet (Five Minute Friday)

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for your visit Missy!

7. Jacqui says:

Yes, as a mom we clock in, but never clock out! That can be so hard sometimes. Stealing those quiet moments are so good for our souls. Thanks for your encouragement, Barbie! Blessings!

1. Barbie says:

Blessings back to you my friend!

8. richelle @ "our wrigt"-ing pad says:

very vivid words, here! i certainly understand. my prayer closet used to be the shower with the water pouring over my head so i couldn’t hear all the other noise!

1. Barbie says:

Oh I still pray in the shower. I gotta take advantage of every nook and cranny where there is the absence of little ones (as well as teens)!

9. ~Karrilee~ says:

Aaah yes… the refuge of the laundry room! No one – and I mean NO ONE – wants to go in there!

I love your prayer – so sweet and pure and powerful… such a great reminder that we don’t need peace and quiet OUTSIDE as much as we truly need it INSIDE!

~Karrilee~
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY – QUIET

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping over Karrilee! I really appreciate it.

1. Barbie says:

You bless my by your visits Nikki! Have a lovely week.

10. April {ThoughtfulEscapes.com} says:

I hear you – a mom’s work is never done. I also know [in my head] to appreciate all that comes with ‘mom work’ because it will end too soon – but I hear you and I understand. The longing for quiet. The ache for a small square of space to not be touched or talked to. The calling out to our Heavenly Father – who doesn’t ever feel that way about us the way we sometimes do about being a parent. The picture you chose to reflect quiet is amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart – hang in there, keep looking at that heart on your wrist. You are marked as His!
    April {ThoughtfulEscapes.com} recently posted..Giving Thanks [9] & 5minFri: Quiet

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for your sweet words April! I truly appreciate your visit.

11. Lea says:

There’s just nothing like His quiet and we all need it, sometimes more so than others. Beautifully stated Barbie! Happy weekend!
    Lea recently posted..Friday’s Letters

Thanks Lea!

12. Dawn St Amand Paoletta says:

I just found myself smiling at the imagery! AND also I think it is funny to note- Friday night at our “group” for church we had Chili and Corn Bread…;)
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..A Quiet Storm

1. Barbie says:

Oh yummy! Chili and Cornbread is so comforting!

13. Dolly@Soulstops says:

Dear Barbie, you made me think of Susanna Wesley and how she would put her apron on her head to tell her 12 kids that she was having a moment with God and to let her be…love your creative laundry room prayer…praying God fills you with His quiet and peace in the midst of your blessings/kids
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Quiet

1. Barbie says:

I’ve heard that story about Susanna Wesley. Such an inspiration. Have a beautiful week.

14. Lisa says:

Oh yes, Barbie. Come quiet my soul, Lord Jesus! Thanks for the poignant illustration of real momma life lived by faith.
    Lisa recently posted..Quiet. Ness.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Lisa! Continuing to pray for you and others affected by the storm.