Faith

Monday Morning Meditations: {Romans 12:18}

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” (Romans 12:18)

Is it possible to live in peace?  I believe so.  Whether I choose to walk in it or give it away to others does not depend on my circumstances.  It does not depend on the state of the economy or the volume of my childrens’ voices.  What it does require is a choice, an act of my will.

I must choose, on a daily basis, to take the hand of the Good Shepherd and allow Him to lead me beside the still waters, to make me to lie down in green pastures.  (Psalm 23).  It is only there that my mind and my heart are realigned with His will, His purposes.  I cannot walk in peace, unless His peace is reigning on the inside.

When chaos looms around me, I can choose to breathe in deeply and whisper, “Come, Lord Jesus. Come, Prince of Peace.  Peace be still.”  This peace I carry is not always evident.  I can tend to voice my frustration on a whim.  I yell at my kids in a moment of unrest, when I forget to breathe and instead exhale my disapproval, my disappointment.

So I ask Him to come, to guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:7)  I must remember to put on peace like a blanket, this peace that covers my insufficiency, my shortcomings, my frustrations.  To remain in a place of peace and rest, I must remain in the One who gives me peace.

It’s about stopping.

It’s about being still.

It’s about waiting.

It’s about surrender.

Yes, it is possible to live in peace.  But I must choose it.  The outcome depends on me.

I am linked up today with my new friend Jane at Girl Meets Paper.  Will you join me?

20 thoughts on “Monday Morning Meditations: {Romans 12:18}”

1. Mia says:

Hi dear Barbie
    Yes, my friend, His peace is like an embrace that keeps you in perfect peace and quiet deen inside even amidst the havoc taking place around you. It truly is peace that beyond the mind to comprehend! Oh, His goodness is just beyond words!!
    Much love and hugs XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Cinnamon, The Fragrance of Love

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much Mia!

2. Lisa J says:

So true! I am working on this as well! I wish you a peaceful week!
    Lisa J recently posted..This is Your Life

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Lisa!

3. Miki Baxter says:

Beautifully expressed, the timing caused my to gasp and then laugh out loud. Were you in my weekend with me? Oh, the overwhelming struggle to get to a place of peace! Almost there, but your words, the reminder of Truth is a bridge for me to that place. Thank you! Love, Miki

1. Barbie says:

Oh I have to purpose to be still and press in every day. I can so quickly lose my peace!

4. Child of God says:

Hi Barbie,
    We must make a daily choice to live in peace and to follow Him. What a wonderful reminder to choose Him.
    I love this picture, so comforting to me.

Blessings,
    Child of God recently posted..Amy Lynne Hosmer

1. Barbie says:

Oh yes, my friend. I need to choose Him every hour of every day!

1. Barbie says:

I totally understand. It’s hard to know which link ups to do!

5. susan@avintagefarmwife says:

Hi, Barbie! Love this words. I am going to yoga class in a bit and I am going to make this my mantra tonight! Thanks!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Susan!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping over Denise!

6. Lisa says:

“put on peace like a blanket” sigh** warm it up in the dryer too. I like how you phrased this. Thank you, Barbie. And thank you for linking up with us at the Meet & Greet. So glad you could join us.
    Lisa recently posted..Monday Meet and Greet

1. Barbie says:

Oh I love that! A warm blanket straight out of the dryer. So reminds me of the warmth of Jesus!

7. Jane Graham says:

Barbie, I just loved the imagery of putting on peace like a blanket! What a lovely thought. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us again this week; you bless me!
    Jane Graham recently posted..Monday Morning Meditation: Romans 12:18

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Jane! I am truly thankful I found you, I believe through Stephanie! I am enjoying the link up, and getting to know you more!

8. Mommy Reg says:

Hi, I popped in from the Monday Meet and Great. Peace like a river restores the soul. I love peace like a blanket that relates to me more. You are right that we make the choice to live in the peace that the Prince of Peace freely gives us. Great post.
    Mommy Reg recently posted..Christmas Treasure Hunt

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for visiting Mommy Reg. I hope you will stop by again!