Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: When Writing is Hard

6838289635_725b404c1e_z

*photo credit

As a writer, you never want to feel as if you’ve hit a wall and your voice is nowhere to be found.  It’s discouraging when you want to say something, but there are no words.  I’m tired of striving. I have always been real and authentic in this space, so I will tell you that I am in a hard place.  There are many facets of my life that I am struggling with.  And I haven’t been taking the time I need to seek His heart in these matters.  It’s been both emotionally and physically draining.  It feels as if I’ve been thrown in a pit without a rope, left to find my own way out.  But I know He’s with me.  He’s never left me, and He will deliver me.

Writing is just hard sometimes.  I was on an uphill climb back in November with the final editing of my book and then the publishing of it in December.  But ever since then, I’ve been a little out of sorts in the writing.  The words aren’t flowing as easily as before.  I seem to be fighting for the time to right, longing for quiet, reaching for revelation.  It’s just not there.  I’ve been considering this link up and that link up, just to keep this blog alive.

But when did writing become about survival?

I don’t want this blog to survive.  I want it to thrive. But I’m tired.  And I’m a little depressed. (What mid-life, post-menopausal, full-time working, stay up too late mom, with four kids, full-time ministry and a blog wouldn’t be?)  I’ve been ignoring the emptiness inside of me.  And, I’ve crashed.  I have not the strength to keep climbing.  I long for flat ground, where I don’t have to work so hard.

I am going to be taking a little break from the blog.  I am hoping it won’t be to long.  But I am in desperate need of Jesus.  I am in desperate need of a touch from Him.  I need to sit before Him, to wait in His presence and hear His heart for my life both personally and as it relates to my writing ministry.  I do not doubt that He’s placed me here.  But I know that without Him, I can do nothing.

Will you keep me in your prayers as I take the hand of Jesus and allow Him to lead me on this journey?

I have a wonderful guest post from my Inspired Blogger, Holly Barrett on Monday, so make sure you come back to read.

I hope to be back next weekend for The Weekend Brew.  If I am not, no worries, I will have someone host it for me.

Thank you for reading my words, which are ultimately His words.  I so appreciate you!

*I know this is a little different post than I normally write for the Weekend Brew. It is not meant to be a downer.  I want to give you permission to lay down whatever it is you are striving for, and take the time you need to rest and refuel.  We can do nothing without Him.

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

69 thoughts on “The Weekend Brew: When Writing is Hard”

1. Cathy says:

Praying you will be refreshed during your break from blogging Barbie. God bless. : )
    Cathy recently posted..He Desires Your Love…

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Cathy! I loved your post today.

2. Elizabeth says:

First of all, friend, you sat down and wrote a book!!! Do you know how many of us say we want to but have never started? Secondly, your church just moved into a new building… As an intercession that had to require some major prayer warfare and as a staff person, lots of hard work, thirdly you’re a wife and mom, fourth, you’ve been in a long season of difficulties. Give yourself permission to rest, to allow yourself to be weak and lean on God’s strength. Do what you need to do for you for a change. We’ll still be here when you come back.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Deuteronomy 28:47-48…

1. Barbie says:

Thank you friend. I have a hard time shutting everything off and taking care of me. Love you!

3. Helen Tisdale says:

Oh Barbie! My heart just goes out to you! You are deserving of a season of rest. You have gone into overload and you just need to allow God to rock you in His arms! We love you, admire you and lift you up in prayer.
    Helen Tisdale recently posted..Coffee Talk With Jesus: Book Review

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Helen. I so appreciate you!

4. Jennifer Camp says:

Barbie, I understand. This rest is going to be so good! He is your strong place, sister. You don’t have to be the strong one. Much love and prayers. You are a tremendous blessing. xo
    Jennifer Camp recently posted..cool stuff gathered up, for His girls

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Jennifer. You are such a blessing to me.

5. Jedidja says:

Barbie do not despair. After great effort and work under pressure of time, many people, especially writers, have a dip. Me too. My book came out in February and after that I had the same symptoms as you. And think of Elijah, after what he did on Mount Carmel he was so tired. Go with your weary heart and life to Jesus. Rest in His presence. Your blog will not be lost In the meantime.
    Jedidja recently posted..Vandaag zorgt God

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Jedidja! I appreciate your prayers.

6. Janis@Heart-Filled Moments says:

Barbie, you have done a lot! Take it easy for awhile. Just writing a book would drain anyone. You have to step away for awhile and rest.
    I know I’ve hit many a day when the words just don’t flow and I want to give up. But this is not one of those times for you.
    Let God restore you in shady green pastures where you can breathe, have some family time, and do what gives you joy and peace.
    Love you Barbie! You are a sweetheart. And we will be praying for you.
    Blessings,
    Janis
    Janis@Heart-Filled Moments recently posted..A New Home

1. Barbie says:

Oh Janis, you bless me. I am seeking the green pastures and the river of life. Blessings!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Donna! Have a beautiful weekend.

7. Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) says:

Sweet friend, we come here to have coffee with you, and we’d come here even if this space was devoid of words. Allow yourself the grace you so freely give to others. Enjoy your rest. Love you! Heart Hugs, Shelly <3
    Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) recently posted..Recommendation Saturday: Nothing

1. Barbie says:

I am so thankful that you come, Shelly. I so appreciate you!

8. Mary says:

I have been there…maybe I am there. I promise to pray for you, Barbie. I know what it is like to want to write, yet, the words do not come. There are so far off in the distance that sometimes I think writing is a mirage. Prayers and hugs coming your way my sweet friend.
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday…VISIT

1. Barbie says:

Mary, I’ve actually been thinking of you. I pray you are well.

9. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, may you find yourself restored & renewed from taking a break. I have been blessed by your words time and time again. “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.” (Ps.62:1). May you find the rest you need during this break. Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Approval, Survival & Hope

1. Barbie says:

What a perfect scripture Joanne. Thank you for sharing it! Blessings!

10. Deb Weaver says:

Oh, sweetie, REST, refresh, rejuvenate! I’ve been in a similar place recently. So much emotion, so much discouragement, so much hopelessness–I’ve been fighting with Scripture and gratitude, but it’s exhausting! May God hold us tenderly and give us rest for our souls. May He whisper in ways we may hear. May His Word meet us right where we are. May He heal and plant His purposes and plans within us. (((HUGS)))

Deb Weaver
    Deb Weaver recently posted..“My One Word: Purpose”

1. Barbie says:

Deb, you are such a blessing! Thank you for coming here to encourage my heart.

11. Joan says:

Hi Barbie! I understand…really, I do. Sometimes God gives us a voice through writing and sometimes He wants us to sit with Him and be fed. It is the ebb and flow of writing for God… We need to receive from Him in order to share. It is absolutely necessary and totally normal! 🙂 I love your blog and the way you share God’s love through it and I am looking forward to when you are back to share some more! Blessings and love, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Steady Footsteps

1. Barbie says:

You are a such a constant encourager to me Joan. Thank you!

12. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh sweet Barbie – you know I get this… and you know I will be praying, friend! Take your time! What we love about you and your space here is that we get you and Him as a package deal… let Him fill you up and refresh you! Let Him come in for a Visitation, not just a visit… host His Presence a bit and you will find what you need! Love you bunches, girlie!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..That Thing I Do Now – Vol 28

1. Barbie says:

I loved your post about the Visitation Karrilee! That’s exactly what I’m hoping for!

13. Kasey says:

Sweet Barbie, We all need a rest from time to time–take that time to renew, refresh, and rejuvenate. My heart goes out to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Drink in the Lord. Give yourself the time you need to renew your soul. Don ‘t worry about the blog, it will be here when you return and so will we. Blessings and love, Kasey

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Kasey! I appreciate you.

1. Barbie says:

Thankful for friends like you Jacqui!

14. ~ linda says:

Dear Barbie, I know the feeling in some ways and have been silent in my blogging for periods. I find that once I release the blog and a few other things, and I follow His call to me to be near, He covers me with His dew of refreshing. It takes time with Him and time of quiet. Don’t rush and feel pressure. You have enough already. God will be there with you and I will be praying for you and your family.
    I truly am…
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..He is the Word

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for your prayers Linda! They are so appreciated.

15. Heather McCool says:

Oh Barbie, I am in such a similar place. I was just thinking about how sometimes life feels so much like a rollercoaster, strapped to the seat and that big drop is just too much, but you cant get off.
    Im still figuring out what to do about my drop, but im glad you are taking some time off those things you can. 🙂 hoping the time is refreshing!

Thank you Heather!

16. Sharon says:

Yes, Barbie. I understand. There have been many times when the writing was hard – times when it felt like I was chipping away at a piece of marble. And times when my personal life was so draining that I scarcely had words in real life. So, please take the time that God is calling you to, take the time to refresh and restore. Let Him guide you as to what to do in the future.

We’ll miss you here in Blog Land, and we’ll look forward to your (hopefully soon) return. But more than anything, I am excited for you, because I just know that God is going to meet you in this time away.

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..HOMECOMING DAY – A Poem For My Dad

1. Barbie says:

AMEN Sharon! I cannot wait for the encounter!

17. Dawn St Amand Paoletta says:

Barbie, OH! Here it is! Can I just interject, my beautiful friend? I believe that you will write again, when you are renewed in Him- if it is His will! BUT, that being said…you know He would not want you to feel burdened by this gift. And what you are going through would be so consistent with what many go through after achieving a great and long sought after goal…you have many gifts to share but the greatest is just in knowing and enjoying him. So, step back and trust Him. Enjoy him. I will be praying. One thing I am learning, still, is to prioritize my time in His word, alone, and that is it. I am behind in reviews, and reading…but I am not behind in sitting in His presence and reading His word. So whether I manage to squeeze in a post or not is based on the fruit of my time with Him (in varied forms, I might add- as I am sure it is for you). How about just drinking Him in…we all love and appreciate you. We will still be around. But being refreshed in Him, is not something that can happen when we are busy with ideas, plans, and our own thinking…well, at least until we drink him and hear him first…I think I kind of went there with my FMF post…but I hope this all does not sound preachy or condescending. You pour out and bless, you have achieved a BIG accomplishment publishing and following through with all you did in that endeavor. The world may say hurry, and do something else, but a rejoicing and resting in His presence, could never be a bad thing…no matter the season. Relax, Refresh , Renew( hey, I used to teach a class called that!) …draw from His well, my friend. It will be well with your soul. MUCH love and hugs…PS- if you need to hold off on the 31st, I would understand. Let me know if what you can or can’t do, in light of all. Recharge those batteries…PRAYING.
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..The Visit (5 Minute Friday)

1. Barbie says:

Dawn, I absolutely love and appreciate you. And we are on for the 31st. It’s on your blog and I will stop to visit. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Thank you Lisa!

18. Anders says:

I adore your fancy style,
    worship your amazing smile,
    which by no means you are fit!
    Definitely you’ve got it!

·:| † |:· Happy recovery, sister!

1. Barbie says:

Anders, thank you so much. You made me smile today! Blessings!

1. Anders says:

*smile* – Life better be a challenge.

19. Elizabeth@BeautyObserved says:

Barbie,

I am sorry that you are having a rough time right now. I think January can be an extremely difficult month for many of us. We push, push, push during November and December and then we have a physical and emotional let down in January.

I will be praying for rest and restoration during this time.

(((hugs)))
    Elizabeth
    Elizabeth@BeautyObserved recently posted..How Fun! Vol. 9

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Elizabeth!

20. Healed By His Wounds says:

God bless you, Barbie… May He write His Peace upon your heart and mind in the coming days.

~HBHW
    Healed By His Wounds recently posted..Weaned from Earth

21. Patty says:

Barbie,
    First of all, I want to say how much I appreciate you sharing this. We all need to be transparent in the highs and lows of our walk so that no one ever gets the false idea that it always looks good and comes easy. I know the feelings you are feeling – I can taste them and wear them right now as you write. I have come to believe that our inner life must be more full than the outer or we are on the road to burn-out. I’ve seen it in my own walk. It creeps up. I’m sailing along: parenting, check, wifehood, check, job, check, blog, check, ministry, check … and then wham! It hits. I feel hollow and like I’ve been ignoring the deeper things. God is so good to allow us to both be busy and to slow. I know this time of slowing may bring up pain, but it will bear much, much fruit in the end. And, you will have my prayers. Thank you for setting the example of what is healthy when we hit this place — to pull back and to retreat and to regroup with God in silence and quiet and intimate places with Him. You have my prayers and support during this season. I only wish I could give you a hug in person.
    Patty recently posted..Silence

1. Barbie says:

Patty, you’ve truly encouraged my heart today. I can feel your hugs!

22. Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life says:

Barbie, I am so proud of you for taking this time to rest and renew. May God restore your joy and revive your passion as you meet with Him in the quiet space that you are carving out. Hugs

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Lyli. Joy is something I am seeking.

23. Laura Connell says:

Hi Barbie, I sure do appreciate your honesty. Seeking Jesus is always the most important thing. So you go do that! And everything else will fall into place. Sounds like He is calling you to Him!
    Laura Connell recently posted..Fight the Good Fight in Faith

Thank you Laura!

24. Debby Ray says:

Barbie, I will pray that you find peace and inspiration in your writing soon. Sometimes, God just wants us to listen for for a while. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share with your Weekend Brew!

Blessings,
    Debby

Thank you Debby!

25. Pamela says:

It’s a hard place to be. I’m praying you’ll feel God close and peace will fill your heart.
    Pamela recently posted..Shine On

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Pamela. I appreciate you stopping by!

26. Pam says:

Barbie, may you know His arms around you, holding you close, and may His heartbeat breathe new joy, fresh light into your spirit. I know some of what you intimate here… and today on my blog I shared some encouraging words he gave me in a prayer time. Maybe they will speak encouragement to you too! Bless you!
    Pam recently posted..Into My Arms

Thank you Pam!

27. Lisha Epperson says:

I have so much admiration for you! Bless you as you bravely walk in obedience to His call for rest. I wrote today how we must be mindful to post what He pours. The words will come Barbie! In fact they’re already there. Rest well and enjoy your coffee break with Jesus.
    Lisha Epperson recently posted..Do You Worry About Reach?

1. Barbie says:

Lisha, thank you for stopping by. You’ve encouraged my heart.

28. Natasha says:

My dearest Barbie,
    Take time and rest in Him… Draw nearer to Him and let Him lavish you with His extravagant love. Rest in Him and be renewed… My prayers will be with you my beautiful friend!!! You are loved dearly!!!! Sending you huge hug and much love
    Natasha recently posted..Draw me Lord

1. Barbie says:

Love you Natasha. Thank you so very much!

29. LeeAnn G Taylor says:

Excited to hear that Holly will be guest posting for you this week. Love her. Can’t wait to read it!
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted..I’m Sticking Around

30. Amy E Patton says:

Barbie, I read your post late Friday night on my phone. I had more to say than my thumbs could type and am only now getting around to leaving a comment. But I have been praying for you since. Many writers/bloggers who publish books are drained and dry after the fury is over. So, know that what you are experiencing is normal. That doesn’t make it easier, but it does let you know that rest will refresh and words will flow again. We, your friends and readers, are here. Take the time you need. Lean on your Father, family, and friends. If there is anything I can do to support you or to practically help you please email me. Amy
    Amy E Patton recently posted..Life is a Soundtrack: Music for the Day

31. Ann @ Christ in the Clouds says:

Hi, Barbie! I totally understand….God even gave us all an example in the Bible, that we need time, now and then, to just rest and refresh, when He created for 6 days and rested on the 7th. Praying you find rest and encouragement, as well as new words from the Lord to write on your blog! You are such a blessing….and even if you need a break from “The Weekend Brew”, no worries. Just keep us posted, so that when you return we all will be able to read what God has laid on your heart!!

32. Dayle says:

Dear Barbie, I’m just now catching up on some blogs and am just now reading this. I’m sorry you’re struggling right now and sometimes the best way to find your second wind is to take a step back, in order to catch your breath. I have no doubt you will find your voice again, even stronger than before.

Prayers, sweet friend.
    Dayle recently posted..Get Your Joy Back : Living for all You’re Worth

33. Nannette and the Sweetheart says:

Oh Barbie, so sorry I didn’t see this last week!! I was out of town and just didn’t get my linking done. I am praying for you dear friend…we all understand where you are at. And when Jesus says to come away and be still then that is exactly what you need to do. He will meet you and refresh you, for however long it takes…your blogging friends and your precious readers will still be here.

If I could do anything for you friend, just ask. ♥
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..The Daniel Fast -Lives Were Changed, Prayers Were Answered!