Faith

Advent 02 – He Comes Slowly

four burning candles on wood

I didn’t know what all to expect as I purposed in my heart to study Advent this year. Would I simply be going through the motions, as in past years? What is the point of reading and hanging ornaments on a tree if I don’t encounter the Living Christ?

My heart needed this, like water on a dry and parched land. But as I cried out in desperation to be encountered by Him, I feared I would come to the end of the story, which is really the beginning, with my heart still in the same place, the ritual of Advent having passed me by, leaving me unchanged.

Sunday morning I got up and readied myself for church. I read through the day’s Advent reading, about the stairway of God, and how Jesus is the way. I pictured  myself climbing up the stairway of heaven to meet with God, but then was reminded that He was right here with me, heaven come down.

From the first note of worship, I could feel my heart begin to soften. Not that it’s been hard, but in all honestly, I haven’t felt His presence in a long time. And it’s not that I felt Him. It’s more like my heart was becoming soft and pliable. I could feel a work being done in my heart.

And then the tears began to flow.

“O Come Let Us Adore Him”.

I couldn’t get through the song without the tears falling. It took a few moments, but they came. Slow and steady. It was as if Jesus put his hand on my heart and said, “Here I am. Come and meet with Me.” I was so thankful for the way He came and encountered  my heart. I was thankful that it wasn’t rushed or forced. As I stood there, tears streaming down my face, I recalled various truths from the week’s readings, fresh mana for my weary heart. My eyes are being opened and my heart exposed in a greater way to the person of Jesus Christ and His presence in my life.

“We will wait knowing the remaking of everything has already begun.” – Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift

I’ve been asking God to fill me up, to allow me to feel His presence, wondering if He heard my cry. I didn’t want to have to wait for Him. The encounter came slow, but it changed me. My heart is once again being softened toward Him.

[Tweet “He chose to do the work in my heart slowly, and I found Him in the waiting.”]

This week we are focusing on peace, and I can honestly say that I am a little more peaceful than I was last week. No, the storms have not blown over.  The job has not yet come. The marriage is not yet healed.  The kids are not yet perfect. But His peace, that which comes slowly to my heart and unwraps what I would otherwise prefer to hide, comes slowly. His desire is that I would wrap myself up in it, messy life and all.

Come slowly, Lord Jesus, and do a deep work in my my heart!

Have you experienced His peace in a fresh and new way? I would love for you to share.

Linking up with my friend Heather as we journey through Advent together.

Also linking up with my friends over at Three Word Wednesday.

For more posts in my Advent series, click the button below.

*photo credit

16 thoughts on “Advent 02 – He Comes Slowly”

1. Beth says:

I love how He meets us right where we are at. It warms my heart to read of how He is meeting you. I thought of you a lot yesterday . . . prayed for you. I wish we could share a cup of coffee. Oh, how I would love to spend time with you. Sending love and hugs your way. Much love. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..His love and grace compels me

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Beth! My heart’s desire is to meet you face-to-face one day. I believe yet will happen. Looking forward to that cup of coffee!

2. Ginger Harrington says:

Thank you for sharing this Barbie. A glimpse into how God is working in you and meeting you is enlightening and encouraging. So often His work in our hearts is a slow grace of presence. I find I’m often looking for the immediate fix, feeling, or change and often don’t recognize it when it comes. Like you, I am wanting to slow down and become more aware.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Stay-Mostly-Sane-This-Christmas Tips

1. Barbie says:

So true. I want this change to happen quickly. But God is so gentle and there is something so sacred about the slow coming. Have a blessed weekend.

3. Stefanie @ CalledHis.com says:

I just discovered your blog, and I really enjoy your writing… wow, such beautiful little quotable moments. Good for you for using that gift with such a serving heart <3
    Stefanie @ CalledHis.com recently posted..I Believe, Lord. Help My Unbelief.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Stefanie. I so appreciate you stopping. I’m following you and hope to get to know you better. Love your blog title!

1. Barbie says:

I was so excited that I could link up this week. I love you and that community!

4. Dolly@Soulstops says:

Barbie,
    I’m so glad God came and spoke His love to you…I’ve been praying for you so I was super happy to read this…I’ve been quoting Psalm 27:1 over and over to myself and telling myself, “I trust you, God” when an anxious thought rears its ugly head…praying God continues to speak words of love to you 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..On the grace to listen to your life (& Questions)

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for your prayers Dolly. God is doing a slow work in my heart and it’s good. Hugs!

1. Dolly@Soulstops says:

Barbie,
        Your comment about God doing a slow work in your heart made me think of two things: 1) it seems like often when God is doing a deeper work in us, it is slow, at least from our human perspective – and mine; and 2) this poem about “Patient Trust” with God’s slow work http://soulstops.com/post/2012/02/15/Learning-to-patiently-trust-God.aspx

Hugs and prayers,
        Dolly

5. Elizabeth says:

How beautiful, these intimate God encounters are, especially when our heart is hurting with hope deferred. Still believing with you for a wonderful open door for you.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Friday Favs…Christmas dining room 2014

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Elizabeth! Have a blessed weekend.

6. Heather Faria says:

This makes my heart happy to read this. ; ) I love that you are valuing how Jesus has come slowly and that you awe seeing the value in the waiting! I think we so often resent the waiting, but I’m finding it’s there not just to teach us patience, but rest! So thankful that you encountered His presence this week!
    Heather Faria recently posted..Advent Week Two – Peace, The Spacious Place

1. Barbie says:

Me too Heather. His will, His way. Hugs!