My 5 Minute Fridays

Same // Five Minute Friday

I’m not sure how I feel about this word. The first thing that came to mind is how I am feeling. I feel the same way I did months ago, probably a couple of years ago. My spirit, soul and body feel trapped in time, waiting to be set free. Oh, I know I am free, because He came — and He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He does not change. But I do not see progress in my personal, physical or spiritual life and I’ve grown weary of reaching.

It takes energy to move from a place of mundaneness, where you can walk through your day with your eyes closed, into a life that flows in abundance. It’s a promise, but then why don’t I feel it?

Feelings — they are a tricky thing. I can tend to get caught up in them, and begin to believe the lie that my life will remain the same. I often fear that what I so desperately long to see changed in my life will remain stagnant, dormant and lifeless among murky waters.

I want so desperately to live joy-filled and abundant life. But disappointment and disillusionment have taken up residence in my heart, and until I am determined to clean house so to speak, I know that nothing will ever change.

Oh that God would give me the courage to want to change. May He make me desperate to see the fullness of abundance released in my life.

same_fmf
I may feel as if my life has no purpose, that my words have no meaning, that I may never lose weight, or that I will never grow spiritually. But God came to bring life and that more abundantly.

[tweetthis]Today I reach for the promise of new life, stepping forward into tomorrow full of hope that I will not be the same. [/tweetthis]

Proudly linking up with Kate and some of the most beautiful voices on the web at the Five Minute Friday.  This is where we write for just five minutes on a word prompt. No editing or backtracking. Just words flowing freely from my heart to yours.

19 thoughts on “Same // Five Minute Friday”

1. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser says:

I hear you on this one…for me, there’s the dread knowing that tomorrow it’s just going to hurt worse, and there is nothing I can do too arrest the slide.

Well, one thing. I can still type, and still reach the computer, and I can encourage others in any way I am able.

Doesn’t make the pain go away, but it does make meaning come drifting in the door to settle, a bright butterfly, on my heart.

And you do the same thing. You have encouraged me in more ways than you will ever know, Barbie.

I like you just the way you are.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Your Dying Spouse 55 – Still the Same, and Not {FMF}

1. Barbie says:

Andrew, you continually bless my heart. My trials are nothing compared to yours. But that is where we are not the same. Yet, my trials grieve my heart and I long for His rescue. Continually praying for you my friend.

1. Barbie says:

You have a genuine and beautiful heart. Love you Andrew!

1. Barbie says:

My heart skipped a beat to see you here my friend. Hugs!

2. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, your longing for change is obvious in your words. There is one thing I hope remains the same – your transparency. You bless many as you share. Blessings and a hug to you this morning!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Same

3. Beth says:

Ditto what Joanne wrote. Praying for you, friend, and sending hugs your way. xoxo

4. Ginger Harrington says:

I know my heart is not the same because of gifts I have learned from you. Your gracious heart for encouragement demonstrated to me how to engage in the community of bloggers. I’m grateful for that, sweet friend. And though we are often discouraged by the things we hope/want to change…God is always working. May God show you His ways in this area of discouragement in your life. May he show you his paths that lead you to the next steps. Blessings, dear one.

5. Tara says:

God is changing us, isn’t he? Yet that is hard to trust in when we feel like we can’t see those changes. I’m parked in the 9 spot this week.

6. Constance Ann Morrison says:

Praying you may be encouraged this week. I’m glad you recognize the lie that things will never change. It’s like being nine month pregnant. It feels like it will never end, but you know that the baby will be born.
    Constance Ann Morrison recently posted..Bleeding Hearts: My Nephew

7. Joy Lenton says:

Barbie, I’ve been feeling like this too. Living under a grey cloud yet knowing light is just beyond its borders. Straining yearning fingers to touch blue sky and feel alive again. Fatigue, illness, SAD, discouragement, pain of varying kinds and plain same old same old can make us this way. Maybe we need to keep reminding ourselves that this too shall pass? This is a pausing space, not a permanent stopping place. Meanwhile we pick up our pens, use our phones or type on the pc and give out to others the best we can. Praying for those clouds to lift soon and for restful heavenly rays of love and grace to be the mainstay of your days. Yours in sympathy. Blessings and love. Xx
    Joy Lenton recently posted..Always the same

8. Mary Geisen says:

Your heart is heavy with carrying the junk that God will gladly carry for us. I am praying that you will be able to release it all to God that you will not remain the same but become transformed by His amazing love. Love you friend.
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Same

9. Rosann says:

Making changes or “cleaning house” as you put it are not as easy as it may seem. I struggle with fear on a very regular basis and I know I shouldn’t. I know I should be strong, bold, and courageous in my faith. God has given me the weapons to do so, but I continue to try to do things my way, rather than His. I hear your heart, friend. I’m praying for you. You have blessed and encouraged me so much over the past few years. I hope you don’t really feel that your life or your words have no meaning. I know I’m not the only one you’ve greatly poured your love and encouragement upon. (((hugs)))
    Rosann recently posted..10 Things I’ve Learned About Painting the Interior Spaces of a Home

10. Marie says:

Barbie, I relate to this 100 percent. The last six weeks or so have been really tough. Out of nowhere something just clicked “off” in my mind. I want to run away. I want to hide and sulk. It’s only been in the last couple of days that I’ve even tried to sort through why I’ve been feeling this way.

I’m with you, dear sister. I’m with you. This is definitely not a sprint. Things don’t change overnight. It’s all too often an uphill climb – but thankfully, with Christ, it’s an ascent we can conquer.
    Marie recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Same

11. Holly Barrett says:

Praying for you as I read your words this morning, Barbie. Praying that you will give your burdens over to Him, trusting that He loves you and will take care of them. Praying that you find your way to living in the redemption that became yours the day you were saved!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..It’s your birf-day!

12. June says:

Staying the same is so much easier, yet in your words, sweet Barbie I hear that you long for change. You long for the kind of change that God wishes to bring about in each of us. So your heart’s desire is His, too, my friend. Trust. Open your bible and be reminded of His promises. They will come to pass, my friend. Much love.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . Life thru My Lens 37:52