Weekend Whispers

When God Says So // Weekend Whispers

I am finding when God says so, it’s going to happen whether we want it to or not. We can fight whatever it is, dig our heels in and even pretend like we didn’t hear the call to make a change or follow His lead, but pretending, pushing back or even indifference never works with Him … so when God says so, your answer should be “yes”.

Isaiah 46-17

I know all this from firsthand experience as I have been kicking and screaming over a decision God has wanted me to make for the last month. I finally wrote an email, hit send and then promptly held my breath over what the reaction would be. God is the most gracious person I know and as I hit send to tell my beautiful friend, Barbie, that I needed to hand the reigns for Weekend Whispers back over to her, there was nothing but love and grace in her reply. In fact, she felt that God was preparing her for this time. Oh my, tears have flowed and prayers have been lifted for God to intervene and work in both of us and He has.

[tweetthis]When God says so, our hearts should always answer “yes”. @MaryGeisen #weekendwhispers[/tweetthis]

If you didn’t already know that Barbie is special, let me tell you she is the real deal. Her heart is so big and her friendship means the world to me. Saying goodbye today is not a goodbye to Barbie, but for this wonderful community that I have called home for about ten months. You all spoke into my soul with your encouraging comments and you opened your hearts to me even when many of you did not know me. I am forever grateful for this place to come each weekend to share our thoughts, words and faith. Even though I will not be writing every other week, I will still be at my blogging home, Passage Through Grace, where I hope to see you. I will even pop in to link up in between. I’ll be looking for you out in the blogging world and I pray that you will come by to see me too.

When God says so, we listen and learn how to say “yes” even when it is hard. God has been calling me to really practice the life rhythms that I have been writing so much about in the last few months. He has asked me to spend more time with Him, to take care of myself, to welcome others intentionally into my life and to thank Him in all. Saying “yes” to God can be the hardest thing you ever do, but it can also be the best.

This is what the Lord says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is good for you
and leads you along the paths you should follow.
(Isaiah 46:17 NLT)

Letting God be in charge always leads us to our destination, which is life in and for Him. May we all follow God to the destination He has planned and desired for us since we were born.

Thank you for being here at Weekend Whispers. Your words are not only a blessing to Barbie and I, but to this growing community.

Barbie Swihart
  1. Link up a post that shares how God is whispering to your heart as you walk out your journey.
  2. Visit the person who linked up before you. You can visit more, but you must commit to visit at least this one. Please do not link and leave.
  3. Grab the new button or link back here and share this growing community with others.

43 thoughts on “When God Says So // Weekend Whispers”

1. denise says:

bless you dear Mary, Barbie is a sweet blessing to my heart. this was beautifully written.

1. Mary Geisen says:

Barbie is a sweet blessing and being able to share this space with her for almost a year has been such a gift to me. Thank you for being here, Denise!

2. Barbie says:

YOU are a blessing to my heart Denise!

1. Mary Geisen says:

Thank you, Michele! Being a part of this community has been such a blessing. Learning how to encourage others and welcome them here has been my gift from Barbie. Blessings along the way.

2. Kathryn Shirey says:

Mary – what a brave and faithful step – and how awesome is God to have already prepared the way for you! Blessings in this next chapter – and the new steps that lay ahead!
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..Hope for the Wandering and Waiting

1. Mary Geisen says:

I love seeing you here Kathryn and it’s people like you who make this such a beautiful community. God has been showing both of us new steps in our lives and I love being able to share that in common with you. Hope your weekend is blessed.

3. Joanne Viola says:

Mary, you will surely be missed. You are right, when God leads – we must follow. And as you follow Him, may He richly bless you in the days ahead! I am grateful for your example of obedience, even when it is hard. XO
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: To Encourage

1. Mary Geisen says:

Your words are always so encouraging and they mean so much to me especially this weekend. I figure when it feels this hard and you have felt God’s promptings, you know it is the right thing. Thank you for being such a beautiful part of this community. Hugs to you!

4. Candace says:

“Saying “yes” to God can be the hardest thing you ever do, but it can also be the best.” Amen, my dear friend. It doesn’t surprise me at all that Barbie handled your need to let this go in such a loving and beautiful way. She is that kind of woman and will keep going strong in this space even though you will be greatly missed here Saturday mornings. It’s so hard to feel like we are letting down someone we love. I completely get it. I, of course, will continue to see you at your online home and hopefully here linking up on the weekends :). Much love to you, Barbie, and the future of Weekend Whispers!
    Candace recently posted..When You Just Don’t Want To…

1. Mary Geisen says:

I am so glad that we will continue to see each other Candace. It means so much. I am never good at feeling like I have let someone down. Thank you for your encouraging presence and for being such a good friend.

2. Barbie says:

Candace, thank you for sharing community here. You are valued and appreciated.

5. Brenda says:

(((Mary))) Prayers for what the Lord has in store next for you. Sometimes it’s hard to follow what He asks, isn’t it? I’m not used to blogging or the self-promotional aspect of it, so I struggle with putting myself out there, and being obedient to Him with the words He put on my heart. I understand the obedience dilemma at times. (((hug))) Thanks for your hospitality here, and I look forward to continuing to visit you at your site. (And, excited that I recognize the name…there are so many blogs out there, that’s it’s taking me a while to become familiar with them…) 🙂 Thank you for the example you’ve been setting for “life rhythms” these last few weeks. Bless you as the rhythm of your life calls you to move in another direction. ((Hug))
    Brenda recently posted..The Hollow Fortress Control Built

1. Mary Geisen says:

Your words speak deeply into my heart today. Thank you for reassuring me that obedience in Christ is where I should set my focus. Your presence here is a gift and I pray that as you continue to blog and listen to God you are blessed beyond measure.

6. Carol says:

Mary, thank-you for your part in leading this community. Both you and Barbie are a blessing. Amen to saying yes to God’s leading!
    Carol recently posted..Honor or Riches

1. Mary Geisen says:

Barbie and I make a wonderful team. God has taught me so much in the months that I have been co-hosting with Barbie. I will carry these lessons with me as I move onto whatever is next. Blessings!

1. Mary Geisen says:

Thank you for being a faithful member of this community, Donna! May God bless you!

2. Barbie says:

Thank you for being here Donna!

7. Constance Ann Morrison says:

Mary, It’s so hard to be obedient sometimes when we hear the Lord calling us to do something hard or to make changes. Thank you for your example of letting God be in charge in the decisions of your life. How wonderful that He has prepared the way for you by speaking to Barbie’s heart!

May God take “yes,” plant it in fertile soil of obedience, and grow something beautiful from it.
    Constance Ann Morrison recently posted..But what if you fly?

1. Mary Geisen says:

Your words soothe as I learn how to say goodbye, yet keep my heart open to what God is calling me to next. I am blessed by Barbie’s friendship and even more so this community that encourages each other in this journey we are all on. Thank you for your kind words. Blessings along the way.

8. Linda Stoll says:

Mary … isn’t it neat when we have friends who we can be gently honest with? And don’t you love it when God brings people in and out of our lives at just the right time?

Sometimes it’s hard to do what God is asking us to do, especially as a new season unfolds. I just can’t wait to see what that is for you …

Thanks for showing us what a true friendship looks like. Both you and Barbie are blessed indeed.

Hugs for you both …
    Linda Stoll recently posted..A Prayer for Those Who Grieve

1. Mary Geisen says:

We are so blessed Linda! God knows exactly what He is doing and having Barbie and I get to know each other has been one of those amazing moments. Our friendship is one that has been blessed by God and will continue to be blessed. His timing is hard, but when we reach the other side of the struggle or hardship, we are always greeted by God and His unfailing love. Thank you for being such a good friend and always supporting me along the way.

9. Betsy de Cruz says:

Wow, Mary, you are a great example to me, friend. Thank you for sharing your story. It is so hard to say no to someone else (or to a project) in order to say yes to God. May He make us sensitive to hear his voice and obedient to follow His leading. That Isaiah verse really strikes me today.

Hi there Barbie, I look forward to seeing God’s new plan for Weekend Whispers!
    Betsy de Cruz recently posted..Why Jesus is Good News for Tired Super Women

1. Barbie says:

Betsy, so thankful that I get to be in community with you! Have a blessed week.

2. Mary Geisen says:

Thank you for this encouragement today. I love having you share your words here because I know they always encourage and teach me. I pray that I continue to listen well and hear God’s voice in my life. Hugs and blessings!

10. Gayl says:

“When God says so, we listen and learn how to say “yes” even when it is hard.” Yes, it’s a hard lesson sometimes, but so much better when we learn to say yes even when we don’t understand. We can be sure that what He calls us to do is what is best and what we need at the time. Blessings to you, Mary!
    Gayl recently posted..Discovering Hidden and New Desires: A Birth of Sorts?

1. Mary Geisen says:

Your words really lift me up today, Gayl. This has been a hard lesson but God knows this and still provides what is needed when we say “yes’ even though all we want to say is “no”. Thank you for being here and for your support along the way. Blessings!

11. Holly Barrett says:

Goodbyes are never easy but you can rest in knowing that you are doing what God has called you to do. That certainly helps! You have served well here and we will miss your words in this place. But know that you will be continuing to share your passage through grace (see what I did there?) with all of us at your place and wherever else God leads you to share. Love you!! xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Waiting quietly…

1. Mary Geisen says:

I see what you did there! 😉 Thank you for being such a beautiful member of this community and for sharing such uplifting encouragement with me and others. Writing is in my blood and I love it. Who knows what else is next??? Love you and your friendship.

12. Barbie says:

Mary! What can I say other than you are a gift. A gift to me and to countless others who come each week to read words shared here. I am forever grateful for the bond that was birthed between us, not only through this community, but through our blogging in general. I am excited for the next step God has you take. Hugs!

1. Mary Geisen says:

No words right now, Barbie! I know you know how I feel and our friendship has been blessed by sharing words together in this place. Love you girl!

13. Beth says:

I’m grateful for your presence here with Barbie, Mary. But I understand how God often leads us in directions that require changes and limitations on other areas of our lives. I’ve been praying for you weekly and now I will add a prayer for God’s continued guidance on this new venture, my friend. May God bless everything you do and every direction you go! Hugs to you! And thanks to Barbie for the linkup!
    Beth recently posted..Comment on Waiting on Your Mate to Change? And WW Linkup by Keelie Reason

1. Mary Geisen says:

I’m not sure you know how much your words mean to me Beth but I am blessed by them all the time. Thank you for your prayers for guidance and blessings! Your friendship is a gift Beth and one that I treasure. Love and hugs!

14. Beth Willis miller says:

Mary and Barbie, what a blessing it is to get to know sweet sisters in Christ through our writing in these wonderful communities! There is much truth in the phrase, “Change is growth”…as we are yielded to the powerful flow of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we go where He goes…our determined purpose from Phil. 3:10a Amplified…”[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly]” Many blessings to both of you and the plan, the hope, and the future God has for each of you ❤️
    Beth Willis miller recently posted..overcome by a Good, Good Father

1. Mary Geisen says:

I love this online writing community. I meet so many wonderful people and through love and encouragement we grow and become friends. It is one of a kind. Thank you for the verse from Philippians and for your kind words. I know we will be seeing each other out in the blogging world. Praying your week is blessed.

15. Diana Rockwell says:

Awe Mary, I am sad that you are leaving us as a weekend champion. Stay in touch. You have given Barbie a much needed siesta. You are loved my friend. I am praying Jeremiah 29: 11-13 especially that when you seek him you will find him. Blessings Diana
    Diana Rockwell recently posted..Whispers from God 6

1. Mary Geisen says:

Thank you for your sweet words tonight. Your prayers are greatly cherished and Jeremiah is one of my favorite verses. Barbie is a dear friend who has been nothing but a treasure to work with here at her writing home. Hope your week is blessed Diana.

16. Lori Schumaker says:

Dearest Barbie and Mary,
    I do not even know where to start in explaining to you how the two of you have ministered to my heart over the last few months. Your examples of transparency, following Jesus, friendship, and pure love for others has simply touched my heart and filled me with exactly what I needed each week. I thank you! And even in this decision, Mary, you are once again giving me hope for ministry that can be done in a healthy way. Choosing to be obedient to God calling you to rest is such witness. And Barbie putting her love for you above all else is an equal witness.
    Much love to both of you!!!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori
    Lori Schumaker recently posted..When Betrayal Threatens to Shatter Your Confidence

1. Barbie says:

Lori, thank you for expressing to us how this community has blessed you. I am humbled and honored to be used of the Lord in this way. I am thankful that God uses this space to minister to others and meet them exactly where they need to be me. Thank you for being here Lori!

2. Mary Geisen says:

Lori-Thank you for these sweet words. It is people like you who make this community what it is and sustain it because of the beautiful encouragement that you share. God has truly blessed Barbie and I by giving us this friendship and chance to learn from each other. Love to you too.

17. June says:

Sweet, Mary. I was down with a cold last week and missed this. . . what a blessing you have been to this community, and {I’m certain} to Barbie, as well. You will be missed, but I look forward to visiting with you over at Passage Through Grace. Blessings.