Homeschooling

A Working Mom’s Homeschool Life: A – Anxiety

Thanks for joining me today for the blogging A to Z challenge as I share my life as a working homeschool mom and blog my way through the alphabet. Visit my series landing page for all of the posts in this series.

A – ANXIETY

I experienced a lot of anxiety when I first began homeschooling my son last year. I mean, who works 40 hours a week outside the home and schools an 7th grader? I thought for sure I  had lost my mind, but having homeschooled my older son a few years earlier while he was finishing high school with the help of a friend, I was sure I could do it (well, I wasn’t sure, but I really didn’t have a choice.).

I worried and felt anxious about a lot of things:

Would my son learn anything?
Would I be able to afford curriculum?
Would he become a hermit and not want to socialize with others?
Would I have time for anything else in my life?

And the list went on.

I’ve learned over the last two years that bringing my son into the home was the best choice for him. As a auditory/visual learner, he doesn’t learn well by simply reading a textbook and taking tests. So although I had much anxiety about learning a new approach, he had more anxiety about trying to comprehend the last 40 pages of black and white text he just read.

Bringing my son into our home to school him was the best choice for him. #abcblogging Click To Tweet

In order to keep myself sane and free of anxiety, I’ve learned to go at my own pace, to choose curriculum that works well for my son, and allow everything else to fall by the way side. For instance, last year, when my son was in the 7th grade, we did minimal history. We didn’t read any large and seemingly overwhelming text books. We watched American History played out with Drive Thru History. We did crosswords puzzles pertaining to history and other downloadable worksheets. And you know what, he learned! There are things we still need to work on but that’s okay.

This year, although only my second year homeschooling, I am much more comfortable choosing curriculum and resources that interest my son, and less worried about how he will keep up with his peers. Video based curriculum has been a God-send, as it allows him to work independently while I am at work during the day.

I still have days where I get anxious, mostly because it’s hard to keep it all in balance. But you’ll have to come back next week to read about how I attempt to tackle it all.

Linking up with other bloggers as we blog through the alphabet. Come join us!

A Net In Time Schooling

36 thoughts on “A Working Mom’s Homeschool Life: A – Anxiety”

1. Jamie S. Harper says:

I love this. I needed to read it today. Jamie

2. Barbie says:

So thankful you were encouraged Jamie!

3. Kirsten West says:

Your post took me back to when I began homeschooling and was faced with balancing the needs of my kids with the requirements of my job. Anxiety is a perfect word for it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Great post!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much for visiting Kirsten. I’ve never been to your site before but I’ve subscribed and can’t wait to visit more often!

4. Nita says:

I have this many times. We have to remind ourselves that we have flexibility. If we wanted to just sit and do Math, Reading, Writing with our kid one on one, and have all the rest of their curriculum movie/project/discussion/research or experience based, we could. There is no perfect plan, just what works for our kid and our families. Math, Reading and Writing are the core to any subject and just honing those skills is more than enough. At the end of the day the road leads to the same destination > growing up, getting a job, and being content.

1. Barbie says:

You are so right Nita! Thank you for visiting and encouraging me today.

5. Jen|Practical By Default says:

Ah great job Barbie, I want to thank you for being brave for saying how scary it is to try to juggle working and homeschooling. Looking forward to reading and sharing the rest of the ABC 🙂

Thanks so much Jen!

6. June says:

Such a gift you are giving your son, Barbie! I’m certain this post will encourage many!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks June! You are one of my top supporters! Blessings!

7. Patti P. says:

I understand completely about homeschooling due to no other choice. We began our homeschooling journey when our oldest was in 5th grade. The first year, we only brought him home. The next year we brought our other three home. I love the flexibility and choices we have as homeschoolers.

1. Barbie says:

I’m loving the flexibility too Patti. We love being able to taylor our curriculum choices to the way our son learns and his passions. Thanks for stopping by!

2. B says:

Hi,
      My 5th grader really wants to be homeschooled – I leave the house at 7 am and return at 6 p.m. due to a long commute. That will not change. There are not opportunities to support closer to home.
      Right now someone comes in the afternoons when she gets home at 4:30 to watch her until we arrive home.
      Can’t leave her for 11 hours a day by herself. Also the few homeschooling moms from my church – who have a nice group of kids and go on lots of activities together- do so during the day – they are SAHM.
      My daughter is an only child – we moved a year and a half ago and only has 1 friend – she gets anxious, unfocused at school and is taking ADD medicine for it – but not for behavior. She will start middle school next year –

1. Barbie says:

Hi B. Thank you for stopping by. Homeschooling isn’t for everyone, and it’s hard when you have kids who will be home alone. My 8th grade boy is pretty mature for his age, and his father is home with him most days. Perhaps a time will come when you feel you can leave her alone for a while. In any event, I’m praying for you this week. Blessings!

8. Annette @ a net in time says:

That’s what good about home educating….we can do what works for our children

AMEN!

9. Carol E. says:

It is really freeing when we find something that works for that one child who really needs a boost isn’t it? So glad you’ve found a method that works well for your family. We also do a lot of videos. Hands on projects work well here. 🙂

1. Barbie says:

We are growing to love video based learning so much. My son really picks it up and retains the information well. Thanks for stopping by Carol!

10. Renee K. says:

Barbie you are amazing to work full time, homeschool your son, and do reviews. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. I’m glad you brought your son home to school him as it sounds like that is what he needed. May God continue to bless you and give you peace from the anxiety.

Thanks so much Renee!

11. Melanie (Wren) says:

Barbie, what an encouraging story you have! Thank you for sharing with us!

Thank you Melanie!

12. TaMara Sloan says:

I would guess that most of us homeschooling moms have anxiety over how we can do the best for our children. It sounds like you’re doing a great job! I can’t imagine trying to homeschool while having a full-time job, and I applaud you for that. (Did I see a little foreshadowing of next week’s word in there? LOL)

1. Barbie says:

I am thankful for the privilege I have to homeschool my child and not have to schedule it like traditional school. And yes, a little foreshadowing of next week’s post! Thank you so much for visiting Tamara!

13. Kelly Kiggins-Lund says:

Thank you for sharing, Barbie! Know that you aren’t alone. There are many new homeschooling moms and dads, and even a few seasoned ones, who feel overwhelmed or anxious about homeschooling. We long for the best for our children. You made great points though. We need to make choices that best meet the needs of our child and ourselves. We can’t compare ourselves to anyone else. It just serves to stress us out. We can go at our own pace as long as our children are learning. That’s the key! Great post!

1. Barbie says:

Great points Kelly! I appreciate the visit. Blessings!

14. Linda S says:

How exciting that you have a full year of homeschooling behind you and you are in the midst of another successful year! “Anxiety” – that’s a big one for me. Even after many years of homeschooling many children, I still have moments. Thank you for the reminder that we do not have to move at anyone else’s pace.
    Can’t wait to read more of your series!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much Linda! I’m learning so much from other seasoned homeschool moms, such as yourself. Thanks for stopping by!

15. Melissa says:

I work from home on a very part-time basis and find that a lot to juggle with homeschooling. I can’t imagine 40 hours! Way to go, mama.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Melissa. I couldn’t even make this work if my son was younger. Thankfully, he’s very self-sufficient. Gets a little off track at times, but we are working on it. So glad you stopped by!

16. Amy Jung says:

Oh girl, I’ve had so many of the same anxious thoughts. I appreciate your consideration of his anxieties in the midst of your own. That is helpful to me.! I agree that it’s so important to choose curriculum based on how THEY learn–not what their peers may be doing or the schools. That is the beauty of homeschooling! So often I find myself doing things that taint the beauty of homeschooling. So silly of me!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by. I’m learning to let go of those anxieties and embrace the flexibility and beauty of homeshooling. Blessings!

17. Amy says:

I am so glad that you are feeling less stressed and more comfortable with homeschooling. Keep up the great work, mama!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Amy! I love your blog. I’m following you now so I will be sure to remember to come back for a visit!

18. Jen|Practical By Default says:

Loved this, looking forward to next weeks. Thanks so much for linking up at #familyfriday we appreciate it! We hope you come back next week.

1. Barbie says:

Will do Jen! I look forward to it.