Glimpses

When The Plan For Your Life Changes // Glimpses Link Up

Day 9 - Plan

When I got married, I had most of my life planned out. I was to be happily married, always. We would purchase a home and have a couple of kids. I would work at the church until I was old enough to retire and serve my days in ministry before the Lord.  But sometimes our life plan changes, and when it does, we are often thrown for a loop.  We hold onto the plans we made with a firm grip, but when we do, it’s hard to surrender to what God has for us.

We hold onto the plans we made with a firm grip, but when we do, it's hard to surrender to what God has for us. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

I was sitting and reflecting on today’s word prompt, and this phrase came to me. Sometimes we become frozen in time when the road takes a different turn. We are in shock, sad perhaps, unable to move and sometimes resistant of change. But God says to “Walk forward in faith and look for beauty along the way.” As we settle into our new normal, we can rest assured that God has laid the path before us.  He is with us, even though we may not understand and He will make the way clear.

As we settle into our new normal, we can rest assured that God has laid the path before us. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

I’ve been married for 29 years, but we’ve had our fair share of trouble. But the beauty is that we are committed to one another. There are moments of tenderness among the stress and worry and in those moments I see the beauty of a marriage centered on Christ.

We did own a home, for 16 years, but when my husband lost his job several years ago we had to sell it in order to avoid foreclosure. It was a hard season, but the Lord has brought us to a wonderful, large home to rent. It’s big enough for all of us (9 total) and the landlord rented it to us while my husband was still unemployed. Matter of fact, he’s kept the rent well below market value. We are truly blessed!

We had our two kids, and then six years later, we had two more. Not in our plan, but most definately in God’s plan. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. We have two sets of children (2 adults and 2 teens), and two grandbabies. Now that’s beauty!

I loved my job at the church, which I held for 10+ years. I felt it was calling in life. But it didn’t last and although it was a very hard a confusing season, I am finally learning to embrace the beautiful place he’s brought me to work. My boss is a loving and compassionate person and my co-workers are caring and fun to be with. And I LOVE our clients! I can honestly say I love to get up in the morning and go to work.  I see beauty every day as I use my gifts to glorify Him.

God has been good to me, despite many twists and turns along the way. I am learning to look for beauty and embrace it with eyes wide open.

I am learning to look for beauty and embrace it with eyes wide open. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #651-660

651.  Quiet morning reflections.
652.  New books for review.
653.  Renewed energy for my husband.
654.  Soft serve ice cream.
655.  I make my plans, but the Lord directs my steps.
656.  Comfort in times of trouble.
657.  No longer in chains. I am FREE!
658.  The blessing of a new computer!
659.  Little pumpkins that fit perfectly in my grandson’s hands.
660.  Being driven around town by my 17 year old.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

31 thoughts on “When The Plan For Your Life Changes // Glimpses Link Up”

1. Lesley says:

It is hard when our plans don’t work out as we hoped they would but I love how you can see the blessings even in the things that were unexpected.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Lesley! The link up is open now. I hope you will come back to share a post.

2. Michele Morin says:

I have Julie Andrews’s voice singing “These are a Few of My Favorite Things” after having read this lovely list of blessings. Thanks, Barbie!

Have you noticed that there’s a problem with the link up this morning?

1. Barbie says:

Oh I love that song too. Thanks for the heads up MIchele. I wasn’t feeling well last night and I guess I forgot to actually add the link up to the post. It’s there now!

3. Bev @ Walking Well With God says:

Barbie,
    God has been speaking to me regarding the tight grip I try to have on my life and how trying to control is not the best way of loving Him. It’s so hard sometimes to keep giving it up to God.
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

1. Barbie says:

You’ve been in my prayers. It’s so hard to let go and let God have control sometimes. I pray you’ll come back and link up! Problem has been resolved.

4. Debbie Putman says:

Barbie, I love the way you show, through your own life, how to embrace the changes God places before you and move forward.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Debbie! Please come back to link up. Minor glitch this morning.

5. Susan Shipe says:

No linkup thingy this morning?

1. Barbie says:

I scheduled the post without attaching the linky. I was so tired! There now!

6. Barbara H. says:

Life not turning out like we thought it would was true for so many in the Bible – Joseph, Daniel, Esther, Mary, and more. So many changes are hard, but how blessed to see God’s hand in them, helping us to grow through them and draw more closely to Him.

I don’t see the link-up, but my post is on Finding balance in an unbalanced world here: https://barbarah.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/balance/

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Barbara. The link up is there now!

7. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh yes – -so full of truth and grace… the holding on loosely to our own plans is so smart –and so hard, right? Love you, friend! Great post!

1. Barbie says:

I’m learning to loosen my grip. But it’s been quite a journey!

8. Lisa notes says:

Switching gears can be SO hard. I had my life planned out from teenage years onward. I don’t think anything went exactly as planned. ha. But in the end, I’ve had a very fulfilling and purposed life. There are definitely things I could have done better, but God has redeeming power even for those moments. Thanks for sharing this hope, Barbie.

1. Barbie says:

Oh yes, His redemptive power has been evident in my life as well. Thank you for stopping by Lisa!

9. BettieG says:

I so understand what you are saying! Even when I think that I am surrendered & holding loosely to my own plans, I find myself shook up when those plans change. Thank you for these great words to look for the beauty of the Lord in the transitions!

1. Barbie says:

In those times I lose sight of Who it is that is leading me, even through the dark and uncertain places. I’m so thankful He’s patient with me.

10. Gayl says:

I’m right there with you, Barbie. Unexpected changes come, but God is with us through it all. I’m also trying to look for the beauty in every day.

Blessings to you!

1. Barbie says:

May your search for beauty fill you to the brim with His goodness!

1. Gayl says:

Thank you so much, Barbie. May you find the same. Blessings!

11. Donna Reidland says:

I think we’ve all had those confusing seasons, when things don’t work out quite the way we had planned or expected. It’s so good to know that God is not outside of those times, but guiding them and growing us in the process.

1. Barbie says:

Oh yes! It’s been a growing season for sure. Thanks for stopping by Donna!

12. Julie Clark says:

I love your choice to look at all the positives in your life in the midst of difficult circumstances! God is at work in you 🙂

Thanks so much Julie!

13. Mary Geisen says:

It makes my heart happy to read all you are learning along this bumpy road we call life. God has brought you to a place where you can live multi-generational under one roof. You have a job that you just shared you love. Yay! God is so good and walking this journey with you shows me the glory of God.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much Mary! MY prayer is that others will be encouraged by my journey. Hugs!

14. Trudy says:

It’s so hard when our plans go awry or much-loved seasons in our lives must end. Our Potter slowly molds us to be more pliable in His hands, doesn’t He? I love the witness you give in your life of how God is with us through the rough places and He brings beauty out of ashes. Love and hugs to you, Barbie.

1. Barbie says:

I’ve experienced the “beauty out of ashes” so often. He truly is faithful!

15. Jennifer says:

Barbie –

This was such an encouragement to me this afternoon. Wherever God leads and whichever the path leads…there is beauty to be found, enjoyed and shared along the way. How special when we finally see the beauty – when it’s been there all along:) God truly is so good!!

16. Barbie says:

Thanks so much for stopping by Jennifer. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.