Glimpses

Just Some Random Thoughts // Glimpses Link Up

If you’ve stopped by to read, comment or link up, thank you!

I’ve missed you so much over these last few weeks, but so needed the time away. Although I’m not feeling 100% on par just yet, you all have been so full of grace that I know whenever I do manage to get something written someone will be here to encourage my heart.

I’m having a hard time getting my brain to function with all of the jumbled thoughts so today is just a random post with some things I’m thinking about.

Don’t let your light go out.  I sat in a great sermon today where the pastor was sharing out of Luke and how the name Luke means “light giving”.  He was adamant that no matter how hard life gets, that we do not let our light go out. We are the only Jesus some people will ever know and so it’s important that even though we grief and struggle that we continue to share the light of Christ with others.

Simplifying takes a lot of energy.  I have goals with this whole call to simplify this year, but I’m finding that I lack the energy to follow though. A good on line friend once challenged me to “finish what I start”, and that has stuck with me for a bit. I have to be careful in this quest to simplify that I don’t work too hard to accomplish everything all at once.  Baby steps.  I have 6 bags of clothes I bagged up just after Christmas and they are still sitting on my bedroom floor.  Lord knowns I need to follow through.

Reading devotional plans on You Version is not a short cut to reading God’s Word. It is God’s Word.  I’m learning to fall in love with God’s Word again using the You Version app on my phone. I’ve been about 90% consistent and for that I am proud.  Part of me felt that I was short changing God by using the app and not sitting down in a quiet place for an hour for a more in-depth time. But God knows what I can handle and I still believe He’s smiling down on me.

God knows what I can handle and I still believe He's smiling down on me. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Being open and honest about depression and anxiety has allowed me to begin to heal.  I go through seasons where I just want to tuck that part of me away. But I’ve lived with this probably since I was a teenager and it’s not something I can hide anymore. Just knowing I am vulnerable and prone to this is helping me to reach out and grab hold of my healing.

Being open and honest about depression and anxiety has allowed me to take steps towards accepting God's healing. #glimpseofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

How about you my friend? What would you like to share with me today?

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #761-770

761.  My Keurig coffee machine. Saving $$ on coffee!
762.  New recipes for dinner that are a hit with the family.
763.  Bifocals which allow me to see better at the computer, reading and driving.
764.  My phone and the You Version App which helps me to read His Word every day.
765.  Continual free kindle downloads for the Kindle Fire.
766.  Reconnecting with old friends.
767.  Grace and space extended.
768.  Devotionals with manageable bite-sized, but power packed nuggets.
769.  My comfy Cuddle Duds socks.
770.  Learning to accept my imperfections.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

42 thoughts on “Just Some Random Thoughts // Glimpses Link Up”

1. Bev @ Walking Well With God says:

Barbie,
    Joining with you in wanting to simplify. Truly if I have people in my life who love me, I am blessed. I need to slow down and enjoy them and quit clinging to what the world would have me cling to. Cheering for you as you shared your struggles with depression and anxiety. I think the more we talk openly about this (especially those of us who live with it) the stigma will disappear and we can help others.
    Blessings to you friend,
    Bev xx

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Bev. So thankful to have you along on this journey.

2. Michele Morin says:

I’ve started simplifying around these parts: cleaned out a closet and purged bookshelves over Christmas vacation and then organized and culled the game closet this weekend with the help of my youngest son. It feels SO good, but there’s so much left to do! Never ending projects!

1. Barbie says:

Simplifying really is a continual process, isn’t it? Have a blessed and beautiful week Michele.

3. Barbara H. says:

One post I read near the beginning of the year talked about “micronutrients” in God’s Word, the idea being that we think we have to be “all or nothing” with our devotional time, but it’s better to read a little than nothing at all.

I’ve thought that, too – that it sure doesn’t seem simple to simplify, and in fact, it takes a lot of work. I’ve realized, too, it’s not a destination: I’ll always be evaluating my schedule and my “stuff.” That helps me not get frustrated that in a sense it’s never completely done. But one project, one closet, one area at a time, we make progress.

1. Barbie says:

Great insight Barbara. Thanks for being here!

4. Debbie Putman says:

Thank you for your faithfulness in seeking God and sharing your struggles with us. Praying God fills you with peace as you persevere.

Thanks so much Debbie!

5. jodie filogomo says:

I absolutely love this idea, and there’s nothing better than “cleaning out”. That includes emotions and fears and allowing ourselves to feel what we feel!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Jodie! So glad you are here.

6. Ruth @ plantedbylivingwater says:

I’ve been learning that it’s okay to delegate things that other family members could do for me. Maybe someone you love could take the bags from your bedroom floor and drop them off for you at the thrift shop? Then you could breathe a sigh of relief and maybe find the energy to start another baby step toward decluttering.
    You are loved. Hang in there, dear sister! 🙂

1. Barbie says:

I have a hard time asking for help, but I know it’s so needed if I am to remain healthy. So thankful you stopped by.

7. Gayl says:

Barbie, you are right. Simplifying is HARD WORK especially when things have piled up for so long. But baby steps will do it. It might not seem like it at first but if we can keep on with the baby steps we will eventually see progress.

Blessings to you! Thank you for sharing your heart and hosting this linkup!

1. Barbie says:

You are so right. Just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other. Blessings to you my friend.

8. Natalie @messymom says:

I am all about the You Version app and I love the daily verse and reading plans. What a fun link up. I loved reading your glimpses.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Natalie! I’m so glad you stopped by. I hope you will again. I just caught up on a few of your posts.

9. Jennifer says:

Your honesty and willingness to be vulnerable in this crazy internet world are refreshing – and encouraging! So glad you shared your thoughts today…and that your light is shining:) Loved that thought! I always love your list of beauty. Too often, I fail to see/recognize and then appreciate the “little things”….like my Keurig! Love it! Have a wonderful week!

Thank you Jennifer!

10. June says:

Great random, not so random, thoughts, Barbie – I definitely see a theme here, my friend! God is meeting you where you are as you step out in faith. Good for you!

1. Barbie says:

Love you June. Thank you for your faithful encouragement.

11. BettieG says:

Oh Barbie, I am so thankful that you are beginning to feel better! You are so right that this road to simplifying and self-care is hard work! I easily get discouraged also, when I look at how small the progress seems to me. But I am so thankful that God does not judge with that same kind of measure, and He is looking at our hearts! And reading His Word every day, no matter how small, is such a help to us, isn’t it? Blessings and Love to you!

1. Barbie says:

His Word is life and it helps to keep me focused on the positive, on His goodness and all of my many blessings. Thank you for being here.

12. Donna Reidland says:

Barbie, I have to agree … simplifying is hard work! I seem to be always trying but not always making much progress.

1. Barbie says:

Keep trying! We will get there. Have a blessed day Donna.

13. Mary Geisen says:

I love your random thoughts. Never underestimate the power of your words. Someone is going to need to hear what you wrote today.

You keep doing you because you do you the best. Love you!

1. Barbie says:

Awe Mary, I love and appreciate you so much. Thank you.

14. Michelle says:

Simplifying takes a lot of energy for sure. We’re in the middle of a move and have really had to admit at just how much STUFF we have…ready to simply in so many areas of my life this year!

1. Barbie says:

Moving is one sure way to begin the process. Praying all goes smoothly for you as you transition.

15. Mitzi says:

I am totally with you on simplifying as well as sitting with God on a daily basis. Lovely share today!

Thank you Mitzi!

16. Trudy says:

I love your random thoughts, Barbie. I especially love what you write about being more open and honest about depression and anxiety – “Just knowing I am vulnerable and prone to this is helping me to reach out and grab hold of my healing.” I remember how much I used to fight needing an antidepressant, but finally I realized I don’t have to feel ashamed about it. Just because I’m taking it doesn’t mean I don’t trust God. Some of us are more prone to depression. My mom battled with it all her life. You are making a difference in the lives of others with your honest and open thoughts! Thank you! Love and hugs to you!

1. Barbie says:

Trudy, thank you so much. There are so many who struggle and we all need to stick together and know we aren’t alone. Blessings!

17. Lisa notes says:

Isn’t it ironic that simplifying is hard work? Sigh. But it is. Praying your new year goes well for you, Barbie, in both the small and simple things and the large and complex ones.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Lisa! Have a blessed week.

18. Susan Shipe says:

Barbie, allow your healing to be slow and complete. You’ve heard the saying, “Rome wasn’t built in a day,” well neither is a good, balanced life — slow and steady wins the race every.single.time. xo

1. Barbie says:

AMEN my friend. Love you!

19. Pam Ecrement says:

I hear you about simplifying! I think most of us really becoming aware of needing to do that or do more of that! As you continue to gain your health, rest in the grace the Lord gives you for each day!

PS I have neglected to mention that I love the newly designed website. I enjoy each time I stop, but failed to tell you after you had it updated.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Pam. I am actually getting ready to do another redesign. 🙂 May be a while though.

20. Maree Dee says:

Barbie, One year I chose minimize as my word. It was an amazing year, and it carried forward. Would I call myself simple, by no means nor would anyone else. But I learned how to make small changes in all areas of life towards a simpler way of life. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be. One fun method I hear on the radio was to get rid of one thing on the 1st of the month, two on the second and so on.

This year I hear God moving me toward “joy” or somehow bringing more fun and joy into my life.

Thank you for your linkup.

Maree

1. Barbie says:

I actually have heard of that challenge and considered it, but I think I will take it slow and just try to do something to purge every weekend. JOY is a great word to chase this year. Thanks for stopping by.

21. Bethany Boring says:

How did I not know that Luke meant “light giver”? This fascinates me! Thank you!

1. Barbie says:

It actually means “light giving”. Typo. Oops!