Glimpses

An Uninvited Guest // Glimpses Link Up

I use to love to have people randomly drop by.  Deep down, I think I still would, yet the state of my home brings me so much anxiety. I keep telling myself they aren’t coming to see the house, they are coming to see me. But now with a house full, and literally two families living in it, we are in a season of not having people over. Sure, I could offer them a floor to sit on, or a tv tray to eat on, and I am sure that would be okay with that. But the perfectionist in me keeps saying, “this isn’t good enough.” This is one way that God is working on my heart as I learn to simplify this year. A true friend comes to sit with you, to share her heart, to hear yours and sup in whatever way is offered to her. Truth is, I need people to invade my life, invited or not.

Truth is, I need people to invade my life, invited or not. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

This morning, however, I had a most uninvited guest show it’s ugliness and it took me by surprise.  I was running late getting my son to church. I was actually going to visit another church this morning, but since he was serving and two of my kids were leading worship, I thought I would go along with him. I showed up right about the time worship was starting but I so needed a cup of coffee to kick start my morning. The line for the coffee bar was very long but I endured. Getting my coffee about 10:45am, my daughter’s beautiful song already over (although I heard it in the lobby, beaming with pride), I made my way to the sanctuary.  I opened the doors and my heart began to pound in my chest. It wasn’t the excited feeling you get when you know you are going to meet with God. This was like fear. The room was dark (as it normally is because the lights are dimmed for worship) and it was very crowded. I thought I would be okay to just sit in the back but the seats were full. I couldn’t see anyone I recognized and I wasn’t comfortable sitting myself down between people I didn’t know. It was all I could do to run out the doors and plant myself in the lobby for the duration of the service.

Anxiety rears it’s ugly head when I least expect it.  And this morning I wasn’t expecting it.  I should have just walked in and claimed my healing, telling the devil no, that he was a liar, but I didn’t have strength in that moment to speak truth over myself.  Anxiety is rooted in fear, and this morning, for at least a few seconds, I had plenty of it.

So how does one deal with this most uninvited guest? If I could muster up the strength to tell it to go away before it took root in my heart I would. Speaking the truth over ourselves in these times is critical to changing our mindset and embracing freedom once again.  I feel as if I am in a season of retraining my brain to think upon good things.  Remembering to quote the scriptures I’ve hidden in my heart has become second nature next to believing the lies of the enemy.  My brain is camping in a not-so-good place.  I recognize it, but it will take time to change my stinkin thinking.  I’m so thankful that Jesus doesn’t give up on me.  I know He has the power to reach down and pick me right up and place me where I need to be.  But there is something about walking through the hard places and the things we learn along the way that make us stronger.

Here are a few verses I’ve been reading today:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:6-8)

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. (Psalm 55:22)

I wish I wasn’t struggling through so many emotionally places, but this is where I am today.  My writing may not make sense.  It may not even bring the type of encouragement you are looking for, but if I am to continue writing it will most likely be raw and vulnerable for the most part.

Thank you for being here and embracing my vulnerability.  I truly appreciate you!

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #771-780

771.  A new rug for my entry way.
772.  Meals planned for most of the week.
773.  School holidays when I don’t have to wake the kids.
774.  Black & White Mochas
775.  He calms my anxious heart.
776.  Remnants of Christmas that remind me not to rush.
777.  Foggy mornings that remind me He goes before me when I can’t see.
789.  There is no fear in love.
780.  The beauty of a broken and contrite heart.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

42 thoughts on “An Uninvited Guest // Glimpses Link Up”

1. Lesley says:

I’m sorry about your struggle with anxiety, but thanks for sharing so openly. I have been there too and it is definitely an unwelcome unexpected visitor!
    Praying for you as you simplify and fill your mind with truth. It definitely takes time to allow the truth to overcome the lies and to change our patterns of thinking but, as you say, God is patient and he doesn’t give up on us. Praying that you know him with you on the journey.

Thank you Lesley!

2. Laura Rath says:

I have a loved one struggling with anxiety like you describe. These words aren’t profound, but…hang in there.

Thanks Laura!

3. Debbie Putman says:

Barbie, I’m sorry you’re struggling with perfectionism and not feeling you’re good enough. Sharing your struggles so openly helps your readers as they see they aren’t alone.

I have been where you are. Not enough money, time, or patience. Feeling spread too thin and unable to recharge, even when it’s the desire of your heart. It isn’t pretty and it isn’t fun. Praying God ministers to you in tangible ways as you seek Him during this trial.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Debbie. I appreciate your words of encouragement.

4. Bev @ Walking Well With God says:

Barbie,
    I know how anxiety comes in as an uninvited guest. It doesn’t calmly slip in the door….it barges in and sweeps over you and stops you in your tracks. Sometimes my prayer in those times is just, “Jesus…Help!”. It’s hard to go through the mental exercise of seeing if our thoughts match up with scripture, but recognizing that the anxiety NEVER comes from the Lord and and is one of the enemy’s schemes helps me to try to dismiss it as untrue. Praying for you and God’s strength as you bravely go forward.
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

Thank you Bev!

5. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, I am sorry for the uninvited emotions with which you are dealing. Praying for you this morning that God would calm your anxious mind and heart as you settle in with Him. Blessings! And a [hug]!

I appreciate you Joanne!

6. BettieG says:

I have a loved one who struggles with anxiety, and I myself deal with the anxiety that fibro and RA seem to heap upon me some days. So I understand that unwanted visitor that comes out of nowhere! But thank the Lord that Jesus doesn’t desert us when those feelings come in. I have been learning to call out His name just as quickly as the fear comes in. I am so thankful that we can lift each other, and our loved ones, to HIM at any moment. Gentle Hugs to you!

1. Barbie says:

I’m so thankful for you BettieG!

7. Pam Ecrement says:

Thanks for your transparency, Barbie. Anxiety is a relentless pursuer of us and it can snag us in more than a few places. I have experienced it at different seasons of my life and have just walked through a period of almost 6 months where it stalked my husband. Praying the Lord will lead you to a safe place and speak what you most need to hear from Him.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for your prayers Pam.

8. jodie filogomo says:

It’s always so helpful to realize that others are feeling the same way, Barbie. So I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your openness and candor.
    XOXO
    Jodie

1. Barbie says:

So thankful you are here Jodie!

9. Kym says:

I’m sorry to hear about your struggles with anxiety. Your post today actually helped me understand a little better what my daughter feels like when she gets hit with an anxiety attack; and I’m going to pass on those verses to her as well. Praise God, a couple of the situations that were causing her stress are resolved or well on their way, and I’ve seen the tension melting away over this past week. I’m so glad we have a God who is kind and compassionate when his children are anxious!

1. Barbie says:

So thankful to hear your daughter is receiving breakthrough. I will be praying for her.

10. Maree Dee says:

Barbie, Thank you for your vulnerability. I don’t know what anxiety feels like but I have loved ones that suffer from it. It helps me to be more understanding when I hear others experiences. Praying for your right now!!!!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks so much Maree Dee!

11. Michele Morin says:

I completely identify with that reluctance to open our homes (and our hearts) to the vulnerable sharing of our selves. And if I don’t stay “in training” I can feel myself slipping into reluctance again. Thanks for being so open about your journey here.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for being here Michele.

12. Tammy says:

Your writing makes perfect sense! We have one of our sons, dil, and grandson living with us right now. Life is different. I had an anxiety attack on my way to a ladies gathering at my church. I yelled at satan and told him to leave me alone and that I was going no matter what. 🙂 Thank you for sharing your heart!!

1. Barbie says:

I need to yell at satan more often. Thank you for being here Tammy.

13. Mary Geisen says:

You need to do you in your writing because vulnerable and messy is what God is calling you to. I loved your words today. I also suffer from anxiety at times and it is like an uninvited guest. It is real and it comes when you least expect it. But God is on that moment as well as the ones you feel more together. Shout from the rooftops “Be gone, Satan”! I have done it myself. Prayers and hugs!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Mary. So glad you are here.

14. June says:

Oh, my sweet friend. The struggle is very real. These verses came to mind as I read your post. I humbly add them to yours.

2 Cor 10:4-6
    4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Praying that, through the power of Christ’s spirit within you, you will be able to take every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. Blessings on your week, dear one.

1. Barbie says:

YES! Thank you June. You encourage me so.

15. Trudy says:

God always brings me the exact encouragement I need through your vulnerable sharing, Barbie. Anxiety and fear can be so strong. I am so glad, too, that God never gives up on us. I am with you in that struggle to retrain our brains. So thank you for sharing your heart! Love and hugs to you!

1. Barbie says:

Love you back Judy. I’m humbled to still be used of the Lord even in my current state.

16. Anna Smit says:

Oh Barbie, I think posts like this make the most sense and are the most encouraging. After all, aren’t we encouraged to boast of our weakness because it makes Christ so very visible? I am so sorry you are battling anxiety but so thankful for God’s nearness through your struggles. I too have seen Him growing me as He’s plunged me into the deep end to reveal my weakness but to enable His Power to be perfected there. May God continue to embolden you to lean into Him and share from these vulnerable places – it is such an encouragement.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Anna. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

17. Beth says:

I’ve struggled with similar thoughts and anxieties, Barbie. It looms so large for me at certain times, but after I get to know people or certain environments, that anxiety ebbs and I find my rhythm. I hope you do as well, my friend. And one things for sure, your place here always has an open door! Thanks for the linkup!

1. Barbie says:

Beth, thank you for stopping by. So thankful you linked up this week. I look forward to reading.

18. Susan Shipe says:

If I lived closer, I’d be an invader!!!

1. Barbie says:

You have a way of invading my life even from afar. Love you friend.

19. Jeanne Takenaka says:

Barbie, we all have our uninvited guests. My big struggle is with the fear of rejection. Sometimes, when my husband travels for work, going to church is hard for me. I have friends, but when my mind isn’t in the right place, I end up thinking they wouldn’t want me to sit with them. I struggle with the feeling of being rejected when someone says something that really is trivial, but it triggers a memory, a response in me that causes me to withdraw.

God has helped me a ton with this, but every now and then . . . I have to choose to remember God is with me and that I am not rejected.

Great post!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for sharing Jeanne. I too fight some of those same feelings of rejection. I appreciate you stopping by!

20. Donna Reidland says:

I’ve been in a season of aging parents living in our small home which makes entertaining (in the perfectionistic way I’m wont to do) challenging, but like you, I have to remind myself that’s the wrong focus. And then there are those unwanted guests of feelings. They’re not always as easy to kick out, but God is faithful as I suspect we’ll spend the rest of our lives learning.

1. Barbie says:

So true Donna. I appreciate your visit!

21. Rebecca L Knox says:

Barbie, I recently went through YOUR 10-DAY SPIRITUAL ACTION PLAN FOR OVERCOMING STRESS, ANXIETY, & DEPRESSION by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland and it’s the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time. It’s really neat. It’s got a morning and evening lesson, CD’s, DVD’s, and scripture memory cards that come with it and it really helped me overcome a lot of junk. Just thought I’d share! (((HUGS)))

22. Annette says:

All I think is….if I’d been there, I could have drawn you in and sat with you. Sometimes on person makes a difference.