Glimpses

When Life Stands Still // Glimpses

Thank you for your patience while I find balance in my life. I’m not really that busy, except it’s tax season and when you are the Office Manager for a CPA it’s very busy. So long days, overtime and a brain full of numbers leaves me with not much left to bring to this space.  Because I don’t ever write ahead, it’s especially hard to keep these Monday link up (now Tuesday) posts going. But I love this community that gathers here and I have no intention of letting it go, unless the Lord says to.  I don’t ever want to be a downer and I know I’ve been sharing a lot lately about my hard season of struggle.  I appreciate you allowing me to share openly and honestly here. You’ve given me so much love and grace and for that I am truly grateful.

Never wanting to dream something up just for the sake of getting a post up, I will continue to be my honest self. Have you ever felt as if life is standing still and you are going no where? I do. I feel as if I’ve been in the midst of my hard season for way too long. I probably have and I need to get over it and move on, but I feel as if my feet are stuck, that I lack purpose and direction, as if I’m simply surviving.  But I don’t want to just survive.  I want to thrive.

I don't want to just survive. I want to thrive. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

The more I try to get my head above water, the more the dark clouds cover and I crawl into that familiar place that prevents me from feeling any emotion.  I walk through my days mechanically, moving from task to task, always the same thing.  I lack passion for living and there is no pep in my step.

I honestly don’t know what it’s going to take for me to snap out of it.  I feel as if I’ve laid myself down in the miry pit, covered myself with dirt, unwilling to rise above.  It’s not that I’m unwilling, but when you have struggled through so much disappointment and your heart is just aching, it get’s hard to remain positive and expect that things to change.  I feet beaten down and defeated most days.  My husband and I are struggling in our relationship and this leaves me feeling so alone.

So maybe it’s not that life is standing still, maybe I’m the one standing still. Life is moving past me, too fast at times, and I’ve got my feet stuck in this place of despair and disappointment.  All I can do is continue to pray and ask God to bring revival and renewal to my heart, heal those places that are hurting and thrust me into the next thing for His glory. Even though I feel incapable, I know that He is more than capable.

Even though I feel incapable, I know that He is more than capable. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Have you ever experienced life standing still (or perhaps you were)? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #851-860

851.  Much needed overtime (God’s provision!)
852.  Psalm 147:3
853.  Tears that do not go unnoticed by God.
854.  2nd grandson who is about to walk.
855.  The wind and how it reminds me of God’s breath.
856.  The promise that He will do it again.
857.  Luke 12:7
858.  His grace is greater than the weight of my circumstances.
859.  Psalm 5:12
860.  God is always moving, even if I’m not.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find each other’s posts.

43 thoughts on “When Life Stands Still // Glimpses”

1. Boma says:

Barbie, I just want to encourage you. Jesus is with you; you are not alone. And even though weeping endures, joy will surely come in the morning. Stay strong! Blessings to you.

Thanks so much Boma!

2. Bev @ Walking Well With God says:

Barbie,
    Oh how I’ve found myself in the much and the mire!! Psalm 40: 1-3 has become my life verse. I’ve battled anxiety, depression, and marital trouble. Praying that you can cast your cares and leave them there….I get it.
    Blessings and ((hugs)),
    Bev xx
    ps. Pop over to enter the Smile Brilliant drawing!!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for your prayers Bev!

3. a spirit of simplicity says:

I am just beginning to find my way out of a season just like you’ve described. You will too. Have faith.

1. Barbie says:

I believe it. Thank you for stopping by!

4. Michele Morin says:

I used to work for a CPA during tax season, and we spent many an evening sitting at desks poring over tax forms — this was back in the day when they were actually still done on paper. I don’t miss the stress one bit! Take good care of yourself during this busy time.

1. Barbie says:

Even though they are all done electronically now, there is still so much paper (source docs) and so much to do. I thrive on busyness but I am looking forward to the end.

5. Mary Geisen says:

I have experienced time when life standstills. But as you shared, God is totally capable. He is working in you even when it doesn’t feel like it and desires nothing more than for you to sit with him. Praying you feel God’s presence this week and know how much you are deeply loved.

Thanks so much Mary!

6. Joy Lenton says:

Barbie, you are not alone. We stand with you, as does Jesus, who sits with us in our darkness, His arms ready to reach down and lift us out of the miry pit. You may feel weak and dispirited but He is able to make you strong again and sustain you even now in this hard place. When our relationships are challenging it tends to throw a subdued light over everything. And the season of Lent lends itself to deeper introspection and heart searching, but we have Hope, Light and Joy waiting at the end of our inner journey. It’s not far from you, my friend. Sending love, hugs and prayers. xo

1. Barbie says:

I love you Joy! Thank you for all of your encouragement and prayers.

7. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, praying for you this morning. May God fill you with His peace so that you become strengthened rather than stressed. Take good care of yourself!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Joanna. Have a blessed weekend.

8. Debbie Williams says:

Barbie my world has stood still, and now I wouldn’t change it because all I learned in the valley. I’m praying for you that you will feel His love as He directs you daily.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Debbie. Blessings!

9. Rachel says:

Thank you for your vulnerability. I think it’s encouraging that you can still think of Glimpses to be thankful for, even in the midst of feeling stuck. I’m sorry that you are in a hard season. Yes, I have felt stuck at times too. This too shall pass. I promise. ((Hugs))

Thank you Rachel!

10. BettieG says:

Dear Barbie, Oh I understand those feelings of being stuck! I wonder if that is one more thing that those of us with fibromyalgia share in common? Many days it seems so hard to even get out of bed because it feels like I am surrounded with concrete. But like Debbie just expressed, God is teaching me things in this valley I would not have learned otherwise. You are in my prayers, dear fibro-sister! May you feel the Lord’s grace this week.

1. Barbie says:

Oh yes, I am sure the physical has much to do with it. Thanks for your prayers dear one!

11. June says:

Sweet, friend, I’m praying for you during this time of trial. Stay in the word and know, “God keeps faith and will not let you be tested beyond your powers, but when the test comes He will at the same time provide a way out and so enable you to endure.” 1Cor 10:13

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for always encouraging me in the Word June. Blessings!

12. Maree Dee says:

Barbie, I am a retired CPA, so I know what tax season can be like. I was so matter of fact with my head in the taxes I probably wasn’t very nice to those around me. I am sure this doesn’t help with feeling alone. I am praying for you!!!! I hope you are are seeking out people around you that can help you. No one should go through this alone.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Maree Dee. I tend to isolate but am trying to reach out and gain strength from others and God.

1. Maree Dee says:

Good for you. I know at one point in my life I had to schedule time with people because I knew it was good for me. Every Tuesday was my day with people. I need to go back to doing that.

13. Amy Jung says:

Hi Barbie! Perhaps it’s OK to not move forward in some areas…as long as we have the right perspective –Psalm 46:10-Be still and know that I am God. I pray you will know the God of creation is over you and your circumstances and that this knowledge will encourage you and embolden you for all that life is right now.

1. Barbie says:

Great perspective Amy. Thank you for stopping by.

14. Lesley says:

Barbie, I love your honesty and that you allow us to walk with you and pray with you. I have definitely had times when I’ve felt like I’m standing still, felt that I wanted to move forward but couldn’t, but God moved me forward in his time. Praying that you know him with you, guiding your steps.

Thank you Lesley!

15. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh friend… so many are in this same spot… trying to wait it out in a hard season, wanting to rush through it but knowing it’s best to follow His lead! Praying for pockets of Peace and respites of Rest as you lean in and listen and follow Him in to a brand new season!

1. Barbie says:

I love that…pockets of peace and respites of rest. AMEN!

16. Gayl says:

Barbie, once again, thanks for being vulnerable and sharing what many of us are going through or have gone through. I’m so thankful that God knows our hearts and loves us and is always with us. I sometimes feel like I’m at a standstill, but then God allows things into my life that make me run to him to help me through the hard time. He gives me peace and helps me go forward. Blessings and love to you, dear sister! xo

Thank you Gayl!

17. Susan Shipe says:

Will you do my taxes? Just kidding!!! Although this year I am dragging my feet. UGHly.

1. Barbie says:

Ha! I haven’t even filed mine. My boss has done them, but since we owe, they aren’t getting their money until the end.

18. Melissa Mulvaney says:

Barbie…I so appreciate your honesty and vulnerability! Although you are struggling, which I am so sorry for, I love and respect how open you are. I’ll be praying that this hard season is over soon…but Im guessing it might not be until after April 15th! 😉

1. Barbie says:

April 17th this year! Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

19. Carol Bovee says:

I love this – probably because you just described me! What’s with that feeling of not wanting to get up, being overwhelmed. Ugh. Prayers for our ability to Thrive with God! 🙂

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Carol. So glad you stopped by.

20. Donna Reidland says:

I think we have all had those times, Barbie. A book that I found so helpful is When Life is Hard by James MacDonald. In fact, I think it’s the best book I’ve ever read on struggles and hard times. There is a video series, too. I think it can be downloaded one at a time. Anyway, just something you might want to check out.

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Donna. I’ll definitely check it out.

21. Tara says:

No worries! We all get stuck in this spot. You will link when you can. Have a great day!

Thanks Tara!