31 Days of Writing Free

Day 12 {Praise} – Finding My Way Back

As a blogger, I didn’t intentional start out to enjoy the praise of others.  But I can honestly tell you that when someone stops by to read my words and leaves notes of encouragement before they go, it truly blesses me.  There is nothing wrong with a little healthy praise.  It is perfectly acceptable to give a writer praise where praise is due.

Did the words you read encourage you? Let them know?
Did the words inspire you to take action? We want to hear about it.
Did the words cause you to grow closer to God? Share that!
Did the words bring hope and healing to a broken heart? We want to know!

It is perfectly acceptable to give a writer praise where praise is due. #write31days #fiveminutefriday Click To Tweet

In our humanness, we struggle with wanting to be accepted, liked, invited into the inner-circle (at least I do).  Approval and praise is something we writer types, if we aren’t careful, can allow ourselves to seek out.  It’s not intentional, but we go there sometimes, to that place of self-doubt when the stats are down, or the comments aren’t there, or you aren’t invited to the book launch you applied for, or your words were turned down for the guest post you desired.  We must always remember our purpose in writing, and not allow ourselves to be distracted by disappointed.

On the flip side, I believe writers should give other writers praise where praise is due.  There is nothing wrong with a little healthy encouragement.  You never know how you are going to help another writer by showing your approval of her words.  While we don’t write to seek out the comments, we do write hoping our words will bless and encourage others. So then, why not tell one another that?

Ultimately, our praise as writers must go back to God.  It is He who gives us the words and the ability to pound them out through the keys of keyboard and put pen to paper.  To Him, be all glory, honor and praise!

Ultimately, our praise as writers must go back to God. #write31days #fiveminutefriday Click To Tweet

This is day 12 in a 31 day series on my journey of finding my way back to writing.  You can find all of the posts in this series by clicking  here.

I’m also linking up with Kate for the Five Minute Friday.

18 thoughts on “Day 12 {Praise} – Finding My Way Back”

1. Joy Lenton says:

These are lovely, balanced words that warm this writer’s heart! I can truly relate to all you are saying here, Barbie. Your openness has often paved the way for people to respond in kind. It’s always good to hear back from readers but even better to be able to offer hope and encouragement to one another. Just as you do here. Blessings on your writing and weekend, my friend! xo <3

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Joy. You always encourage my heart in so many ways.

2. Lesley says:

I agree, we need to encourage one another in our writing. It is such a blessing when people take the time to do that! It’s also a balance, as you say- not becoming too dependent on others’ praise but keeping our focus on God!

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Lesley! I appreciate you.

3. Karen Sebastian-Wirth says:

I so love the encouragement you have given me with this most recent #write31days. It means a lot especially with the balanced perspective of the ultimate glory goes to God.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Karen. So glad you were blessed.

4. Tara says:

You are so right! That’s why I take the time to read and comment as much as I can!

1. Barbie says:

I wish I had more time. But even on a rotation basis, it works! Have a blessed weekend Tara!

5. ~Karrilee~ says:

First off: YAY YOU!!! You did it… and pushed through and posted earlier than you thought you would! Way to go! Secondly –all the yes and amens to this! I was looking at an older post the other day thanks to those FB memories and I noticed the ‘high’ (for me) number of comments… it made me long for the days when Blogging was more of a thing in and of itself and when bloggers were more vocal in encouraging and supporting each other! We are blessed to still have an active community, but it seems blogging turned in to a stepping stone and we lost some of the camaraderie that used to be here!

1. Barbie says:

I feel the same way Karrilee. I’m not ready to give up on it yet. I really don’t care much for the other way it’s going. I will do anything to hold onto community, even my little virtual one. Love ya!

6. Tammy says:

Thank you for encouraging me with your words!!! It is disappointing to write and have no comments on a blog post…

1. Barbie says:

That’s so true Tammy. I’m thankful you are here.

7. Gayl says:

Barbie, this is so good! “While we don’t write to seek out the comments, we do write hoping our words will bless and encourage others. So then, why not tell one another that?” Yes, and when we encourage others we ourselves are blessed. And, you’re right, our praise ultimately goes back to God! Blessings and hugs to you!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Gayl!

8. Vicki Johnson says:

Amen and amen! Praise releases joy, doesn’t it? The more praise you spread around the happier life seems to be. And thank you for sharing some with me. God bless!

9. Wendy says:

Thank you for your visit. It’s hard to visit everyone that comments when life gets busy. Sometimes I wish that Blogger had a “Like” button so at least you could show you’d visited a site but actually that would defeat the purpose of taking the time to read a post properly and leave a relevant comment. I do try and return the favour as much as I can. I know how much I appreciate someone taking the time to come by my site and a few positive words can be just what you need to keep on writing.

10. Jennifer says:

Encouragement really is a gift! Writers encouraging other writers is wonderful – and I know I have often been encouraged by the simplest of comments! Enjoyed your post!!

11. Teresa Hardymon says:

You have the right perspective, Barbie! Encouragement is always welcome. And it is also good to encourage other writers.