31 Days of Writing Free

Day 9 {Inspire} – Finding My Way Back

As writers, we continually look for inspiration.  We find it in so many ways, through daily living, nature, God’s Word, life experience, just to name a few.

One of the reasons I’ve had such a hard time writing over this past year is I feel as if I lack inspiration.  I’ve had some upheaval in my life and it’s been hard to find the words.  I use to homeschool and write a lot of homeschool product reviews, but my son went back to traditional high school this year.  I use to paint with God during worship service but I stepped down and haven’t been able to put paint to canvas since.  I don’t feel inspired and thus the words aren’t flowing.  Writer’s block will settle in and take hold of you when there is nothing happening to inspire you.  Not in all cases, but this has been my experience.

Writer's block will settle in and take hold of you when there is nothing happening to inspire you. #write31days Click To Tweet

When one is struggling to stay in God’s Word, when life is throwing you lemons and you don’t want to make lemonade, when you feel devoid of anything that would inspire you or others, how do you stay inspired to write?

Here’s what I know, and my writer friend Susan reminds me of this all the time:  Just keep writing.  I am working on a new blog design, something I’m paying for because I lack inspiration (and energy) and I’m hoping that I will have a writing schedule of sorts of things that may inspire you.  I may share recipes or photographs, or tales with the grand kids, and surely I will write my #fiveminutefriday posts because I always tend to get inspired in five minutes.  I may pick up a paint brush again or try some poetry.  But I plan to keep writing, no matter what.

What do you do as a writer to stay inspired?

What do you do as a writer to stay inspired? #write31days Click To Tweet

This is day 9 in a 31 day series on my journey of finding my way back to writing.  You can find all of the posts in this series by clicking  here.

11 thoughts on “Day 9 {Inspire} – Finding My Way Back”

1. Karen Sebastian-Wirth says:

You are doing such a great job. Please keep it up. The world needs to hear your voice and learn from your wisdom. {{{{{HUGS!}}}}}}

1. Barbie says:

Karen, I appreciate that so much. Thank you!

2. Anita Ojeda says:

I think you’re on to something—I imagine series and posts and recipes and stuff when I’m out walking or mountain biking.

1. Barbie says:

My faith blog turned lifestyle/faith blog. Thanks for stopping by Anita!

3. ~Karrilee~ says:

I love this and yes –there are most definitely times when I lack words… when inspiration isn’t stirring in me. Some of those times, I give myself a break and stay quiet… but most times, I give myself a little time and pray and grab a journal and write anyway… Sometimes those writings are just between God and me… but sometimes they do end up leading to a blog post or a poem, etc.

1. Barbie says:

So true Karrilee. I need to dust off my journal. Hugs!

4. Tara says:

I’m so glad you’re here.

1. Barbie says:

And I’m glad you are here!

5. Sharon Jordan says:

I’ve heard the “Just write,” it before and I’m sure that’s right. It is easier said than done. What helps me is having a challenge. I challenge my son to write 10 hours during the month 600 minutes and the winner had to give the other one a $25 Amazon card. I’m still waiting for my card! But that’s how I ended up being in the Write 31 days this month. Thanks for your inspiration!

1. Barbie says:

That’s a great challenge Sharon. Thank you for sharing.

6. Teresa Hardymon says:

I have struggled over the past couple of years to find inspiration for writing. I think much of it was exhaustion from health issues and caregiving. I’ve been more inspired lately to write again as I’m navigating grief. The one thing I would have thought would make me want to write less has actually opened up the writing channels again. I’m thankful for your words, Barbie and for sharing your writing journey with us.